Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

I wouldn't be surprised they have a credit card processor charging them a minimum fee per transaction. They want to cover themselves from the situation when the bank fees are greater than what they charge. Is easygo not the same? I have a tenner in their account since last year. Never got to charge at their paid chargers. From other models I'm thinking leapcard is the same, Parking tag in Dublin although for these you can choose how much you want to add and the minimum is much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

innrain wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised they have a credit card processor charging them a minimum fee per transaction. They want to cover themselves from the situation when the bank fees are greater than what they charge. Is easygo not the same? I have a tenner in their account since last year. Never got to charge at their paid chargers. From other models I'm thinking leapcard is the same, Parking tag in Dublin although for these you can choose how much you want to add and the minimum is much less.

There seems to be a general theme that either you have to top up initially by a minimum amount, or pay for the charge card if you don't want to use the app

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Would it be too much trouble for us to follow the UK lead on this and have every charger able to give a charge with a swipe of a debit or credit card, without being a member of any 'club'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Would it be too much trouble for us to follow the UK lead on this and have every charger able to give a charge with a swipe of a debit or credit card, without being a member of any 'club'?

exactly, but this makes too much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Could you imagine the outcry from ecars and all the other operators if they suddenly had to retrofit every one of their charge units to accommodate bank/credit card swiping/tapping.....

I can't imagine the current raid readers would be enough to tap bank cards onto would they? as tapping only works for end of transaction payments i.e. when you know how much the transaction is going to be??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Could you imagine the outcry from ecars and all the other operators if they suddenly had to retrofit every one of their charge units to accommodate bank/credit card swiping/tapping.....

I can't imagine the current raid readers would be enough to tap bank cards onto would they? as tapping only works for end of transaction payments i.e. when you know how much the transaction is going to be??
    You could tap for €50 preauth and then the amount is debited/credited after.
    Like unmanned petrol stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

Reason for which Ionity holds 80 quid if you do start a session with your bank card.

Judging from some of the complaints I've heard from the UK, I think a lot of their chargers require a fob or app to charge.

Shell are the only ones I know that take credit cards by default

They'd probably demand another 10 million to upgrade their chargers

The funny thing is that in a hub location there's less retrofitting needed, as you can just have a separate card reader for all of the chargers.

So if the ESB would bother installing proper hubs they'd have less work accommodating credit cards

Judging from some of the complaints I've heard from the UK, I think a lot of their chargers require a fob or app to charge.

Shell are the only ones I know that take credit cards by default
    Shell and Instavolt, yeah.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Shell and Instavolt, yeah.

And Instavolt use the same units as Easy-go do here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There is a filter on Zap-Map, I use it whenever I'm going to the UK.

531453.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I used an Instavolt on the way back from Scotland with the i3. Very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

For the very occasional user of the charging network, and mainly just charging via the ESB chargers —> which company is the cheapest to go with for pay as you go?

Any ideas.

obi604 wrote: »
    For the very occasional user of the charging network, and mainly just charging via the ESB chargers —> which company is the cheapest to go with for pay as you go?

Any ideas.

Probably ESB themselves, I know that Chargemap and WE Charge cost more than the base ESB rate

As much as I dislike ESB and would prefer to give my money elsewhere, it's hard to avoid the fact that they own 90% of the public chargers in Ireland

Here's an interesting thought I just had:

So I was looking at a nice 2019 64kWh Kia E-Niro for just under £30k in the UK. Thinking it might persuade the missus to go electric as well

Now I'm not going to go and buy it, but if I was then I'd have to do it in 2020, otherwise I'd be paying 23% VAT on top of the car
    I'd probably head over to collect the car myself and travel back via NI

Obviously me and the family would have to self isolate for 14 days upon returning, which is 1 of 2 major problems (the other being a lack of money)

BUT, on the way home, I would need to recharge the Kia at least once.

Because I'm isolating however, I shouldn't leave the car.
    So how do I charge the car???

NOTE: Obviously I know the answer, just charge the car, the chargers are fairly isolated anyway and wipe down the plug afterwards.

It's an interesting conundrum, I imagine folks fueling cars after travelling from the UK or Europe face the same issues or worse, since they might need to go into the shop to pay

As I said, I'm not going to actually buy the car this side of Christmas and after 2020 the possibility of importing a car from the UK disappears anyway.

So I was looking at a nice 2019 64kWh Kia E-Niro for just under £30k in the UK. Thinking it might persuade the missus to go electric as well

Now I'm not going to go and buy it, but if I was then I'd have to do it in 2020, otherwise I'd be paying 23% VAT on top of the car

Obviously me and the family would have to self isolate for 14 days upon returning, which is 1 of 2 major problems (the other being a lack of money)

NOTE: Obviously I know the answer, just charge the car, the chargers are fairly isolated anyway and wipe down the plug afterwards.

It's an interesting conundrum, I imagine folks fueling cars after travelling from the UK or Europe face the same issues or worse, since they might need to go into the shop to pay

As I said, I'm not going to actually buy the car this side of Christmas and after 2020 the possibility of importing a car from the UK disappears anyway.

Normally, charging in the UK is fairly painless and, as you say, normally away from contact with people. The Ecotricity chargers can be started and stopped with an app, while the Shell and Instavolt chargers are contactless payment.

The only issue would be handling the plug. Gloves will work here and if you carry a ziplock bag, they can be made safe if you can't dispose of them at the charger.

Refuelling doesnt count, it's the same as with the lockdowns in Kildare/offaly earlier. you were allowed to stop there for refuelling.

Refuelling doesnt count, it's the same as with the lockdowns in Kildare/offaly earlier. you were allowed to stop there for refuelling.

Yeah I was driving from Limerick to Dublin when Kildare was in lockdown, and diverted to Kilcullen to spend the proverbial penny and also use the 150kW charger...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

The risk from refuelling is minimal if you follow the precautions listed above. This thing will be around for months yet so we need to take a scientific risk-based approach and not go to either extreme.

Also, would you consider having the car transported? It would be 500ish. Get a video call with the seller and have it checked out if you can.

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    The risk from refuelling is minimal if you follow the precautions listed above. This thing will be around for months yet so we need to take a scientific risk-based approach and not go to either extreme.

As you say, we're going to be living with the lurgie for a while yet, so it's more about learning to live safely than seeing what you can get away with

It'd be nice if some folks would START taking that approach so we wouldn't be in a situation where you can buy a litre of vodka but not get new socks for your kids. :(

Anyways, I digress....
    Also, would you consider having the car transported? It would be 500ish. Get a video call with the seller and have it checked out if you can.

Could do, I reckon it'd cost 200 to travel over and bring the car back, so if it was 300 extra to get someone else to deal with going into quarantine that seems worth it.

Still not going to get the car though, as I said a chronic lack of funds is currently preventing that, especially since I've pre-ordered an ID.4 which has sucked up the money from my bank account

Phil Hogan should have said that he was just driving around look for cheap fuel :D

Phil Hogan should have said that he was just driving around look for cheap fueldaysul :D

fixed that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Obviously me and the family would have to self isolate for 14 days upon returning, which is 1 of 2 major problems (the other being a lack of money).

You have to self isolate on return from the UK?

DrPhilG wrote: »

Apart from NI, yes you're supposed to self isolate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Apart from NI, yes you're supposed to self isolate

I think they phrase it as "great britain"

So if you fly into dublin you have to fill out a form.. but if you fly into belfast... you dont (from GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I mean you should have to isolate no? They are going gangbusters with the second wave there. Chances of picking it up when you go there are higher than here I would say. NI is a weird case here and a potential vector of transmission. But we don't know because not enough tracing has been done. Anyway enough off-topic chat. I'll shut up now.

PS: Ah well reservation for ID.4 then whachu complainin' 'bout?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

garo wrote: »

PS: Ah well reservation for ID.4 then whachu complainin' 'bout?

Maybe it's a case of "want it now!"

The Chinese are coming.
    Henan-Suda-SA01-2.jpg
    This is basically a sort of Suzuki SX4 clone with an EV powertrain.
    This company has had the almost unlimited backing of one of the Chinese Regional areas for the last decade.
    This is a Saloon but a slightly cheaper hatchback version is just a month or two away with an SUV type coming early next year.

I just stumbled across this. Think of a Dacia Sandero/Logan with an EV powertrain and that is what this car is.
    200 of these have just landed in a port in Germany and with Government incentives will be selling to the public for under 10,000 euro.

https://www.chinapev.com/henan-suda/henan-sudas-first-ev-sa01-to-be-released-in-china-market/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2kma47Dtc
    German Youtube video.

takes an eternity to load.

• Advertisement

It has always been a case of "when" not "if" the Chinese start to penetrate the market, they'll kill off many of the low end vehicles as they could never compete on price. Cars have to pass safety rules of course, but the Chinese are not stupid, their cars will pass (just).

Advertisement