Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interestingly the battery is also the counter weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Kramer wrote: »
    Electric "JCB"s are entirely doable though, just need a decent 3 phase farm supply as previously said.

Think his one went cheap enough on Done Deal - went to a small farmer in West Clare who wanted something green to open a few dykes :).

1280px-Brutus_2006-07-02_2244.jpg

Details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brutus

:pac:.

Have you seen the power leads that one requires?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

That's great for short hops. How large would the battery be to get you across an ocean. Remember ships measure their fuel consumption in tonnes.:eek:

Well yes - the energy will need to be generated out at sea (by solar or wind) and brought to the ship in transit by autonomous "battery" boats that would connect and charge in motion.

Is it ever going to be worth such an investment? Yes - ships measure their fuel consumption in tonnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Merrion wrote: »
    Well yes - the energy will need to be generated out at sea (by solar or wind) and brought to the ship in transit by autonomous "battery" boats that would connect and charge in motion.

Is it ever going to be worth such an investment? Yes - ships measure their fuel consumption in tonnes.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that the world of shipping already used multiple fuel types (gas, diesel, heavy oil) so I imagine it's quite likely it will continue to do so. Probably hydrogen (preferably from green sources) for long range ships and batteries for shorter range ones.

As battery technology improves then perhaps they will displace the hydrogen ships, but remember that commercial ships would typically have a service lifetime of 30 or more years, so if hydrogen powered ships enter into use in the next decade they'll likely be around until 2060

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here is a Monarch electric tractor;
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/machinery-monarch-fully-electric-autonomous-tractor-unveiled/

This would be a low Kw tractor but would be capable of lots of lighter jobs. This costs over €40K but in comparison Lely have an electric muck scraper for around the cattle winter housing but that which does one job, costs €25K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ted1 wrote: »

Wow, it doesn't take long to become an expert...
    Since 2018, Land Rover have offered plug-in-hybrid models of the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover models, so they are established experts in this technology.

Wow, it doesn't take long to become an expert...

Clearly not familiar with the Mitsubishi Outlander.... It's 3rd gen phev hit the road in 2018.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Clearly not familiar with the Mitsubishi Outlander.... It's 3rd gen phev hit the road in 2018.

Do Mitsubishi do the PHEV side of things for Land Rover?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Casati

Dohvolle wrote: »

What learning has the Outlander got in 3 generations that Landrover can learn from? Do you think their first effort with the 2.0 PHEV with 400bhp isn’t as good as the 3rd gen Outlander PHEV ?

I don’t like RR’s myself but thought the ad is quite balanced and factual but maybe I’m missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I am surprised that Range Rovers can rapid charge, the range is on the low side, the BMW X5 can do 60 or 70 km? but no rapid charging, The Merc 350de can do closer to 100 km and has rapid charging.

Casati wrote: »
    What learning has the Outlander got in 3 generations that Landrover can learn from? Do you think their first effort with the 2.0 PHEV with 400bhp isn’t as good as the 3rd gen Outlander PHEV ?

I don’t like RR’s myself but thought the ad is quite balanced and factual but maybe I’m missing something?

Early Outlander left the driver with very little control over whether ICE or EV was used. The introduction of the App made it more fuel efficient, no longer did you need ICE to defrost the windscreen, you could do it remotely. The 2.2 with the EV only option gives the driver even more control over how the vehicle is powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I am surprised that Range Rovers can rapid charge, the range is on the low side, the BMW X5 can do 60 or 70 km? but no rapid charging, The Merc 350de can do closer to 100 km and has rapid charging.
    They are calling it rapid charging but it take 30 mins to charge 10.5kWh. "the best of both worlds". In fairness is rapid compared with BMW hybrids but Taycan would laugh its tyres off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They can't rapid charge. 7kW AC only. At least on the P400e RR Sport I was looking at anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ELM327 wrote: »
    They can't rapid charge. 7kW AC only. At least on the P400e RR Sport I was looking at anyway.

They can “use” them doesn’t mean they can draw the full power

ted1 wrote: »
    They van “use” them doesn’t mean they can draw the full power

They didn’t say it can ‘rapid charge’, they just said it can use some fast chargers. I think it’s clear they are’nt saying it can charge as fast as Taycan (which isn’t a competitor anyway) but are merely pointing out that you can 80% in just 30 minutes as the great unwashed would be thinking it might take hours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just what we need, another car that spends 30 mins tying up a DC charger to add 40km of range.

On the whole land rover website I couldn't find the info. It is using a CCS plug and charges at max 32kW.
    https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles/landrover/2020/discovery-sport

innrain wrote: »
    On the whole land rover website I couldn't find the info. It is using a CCS plug and charges at max 32kW.

Would that speed be considered ‘rapid charging’ then?

If your in that market the pricing is keen - from 61,465 with 309bhp - cheaper than the 2.0 163bhp Diesel. 64km range would be adequate for most people’s commutes too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

liamog wrote: »
    Just what we need, another car that spends 30 mins tying up a DC charger to add 40km of range.

:D:D:D Now those fancy new chargers that can charge an outlander and a range over at the same time. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Casati wrote: »
    Would that speed be considered ‘rapid charging’ then?

Slow charging would be everything up the the 23kW AC certain Zoe/Tesla's can charge at.
    Although 32kW is a bit of a quirky limit it would have to be considered rapid charging, lots of EVs that arrive at a rapid charger this time of year with cold battery and high enough SOC will be charging at that speed and lower so still "rapid" DC charging....IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Slow charging would be everything up the the 23kW AC certain Zoe/Tesla's can charge at.
    Although 32kW is a bit of a quirky limit it would have to be considered rapid charging, lots of EVs that arrive at a rapid charger this time of year with cold battery and high enough SOC will be charging at that speed and lower so still "rapid" DC charging....IMHO

Sounds good, seems like an advancement in what most other PHEV’s are offering

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

:D:D:D Now those fancy new chargers that can charge an outlander and a range over at the same time. :D:D:D

I'm picturing the evils when an eCars 150kW charger is occupied by 1 Outlander and 1 Land Rover, meter on the side shows it's pulling less than 50kW between the two.

Yeah I went looking too and couldnt find anything about CCS

liamog wrote: »
    This morning I had a meeting in DCU. An Outlander was plugged (finished charging as the charger screen was off but the app showing in use) at 9 am and still there wen I left at 11 am. I do hope the overstay at EasyGo is still per minute. Quite expensive parking 1 quid every 4 minutes or so

This morning I had a meeting in DCU. An Outlander was plugged (finished charging as the charger screen was off but the app showing in use) at 9 am and still there wen I left at 11 am. I do hope the overstay at EasyGo is still per minute. Quite expensive parking 1 quid every 4 minutes or so

If he was using chademo he won't get the overstay fee if he's not charging.
    This is down to the different comms. You can unplug him.
    If it were CCS it would be locked to the car. For CCS users you may get the overstay fee as long as you are actively connected

On ecars the app will show the charger available when CHAdeMO finished charging. But here easygo app was saying occupied. So you couldn't use the charger even if you got a way to get closer to plug the CCS in.

You could, once you removed the chademo plug from the other car.

You could, once you removed the chademo plug from the other car.
    Will this not terminate his session? My point is that the charger knew that the car is still connected so the session is still going.

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if his session was still going, given that chademo ends at session ends (this is why you can unplug a completed chademo car but not a completed CCS car)

Advertisement