Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if his session was still going, given that chademo ends at session ends (this is why you can unplug a completed chademo car but not a completed CCS car)

It's better to say the car is in control for CCS, the Ioniq will end the charging session and depending on the Charging Lock button will leave the CCS chargeplug in either a locked or unlocked state.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    It's better to say the car is in control for CCS, the Ioniq will end the charging session and depending on the Charging Lock button will leave the CCS chargeplug in either a locked or unlocked state.

I found with my Ioniq that the charging lock button didnt affect DC, only AC. I believe that was intended functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I'd be very surprised if his session was still going, given that chademo ends at session ends (this is why you can unplug a completed chademo car but not a completed CCS car)

There are "2 sessions", first is what ever SOC he plugged in at to around 80% then, he would have to restart it again to charge to 95 %. Each would take about 25 minutes.

If your looking for your chance to unplug its always around 25 minutes .

It was an extremely ignorant thing to do and I do hope he got hit for an overstay fee.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I found with my Ioniq that the charging lock button didnt affect DC, only AC. I believe that was intended functionality.

For the Ioniq, ours would leave the CCS connector unlocked at the end of the charge (on an Efacec charger). I just assumed it was the lock button that controlled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I thought that initially too, but I found that it unlocked only when the key was in radius. (ie even if the car was locked, merely having the key in your pocket would unlock the CCS connector)

• Advertisement

Must do an experiment at some point :D

It's a bit weird that it won't auto unlock when I walk near on AC but will on CCS!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A plugged in CHAdeMO car which is not charging will have a status of occupied. This is different to charging. I believe this would show up as in use on the app.

Incidentally kilcullen had an occupied CHAdeMO port today for about 10 minutes. Since esb knows of those, that's who they should be penalising

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

NTA tenders for 800 electric buses. First to arrive in about 2 years;
    https://www.thejournal.ie/new-electric-buses-2022-ireland-5307851-Dec2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Water John wrote: »

Should dovetail nicely with the rollout of the national broadband plan, progress on the national children's hospital, eCars announcing their proposed first three charger hub & the beginning of widespread vaccine distribution :D.

Oh, Leo will be Teashock again so a great photo op - an electric bus :pac:.

They might paint them green even!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    Should dovetail nicely with the rollout of the national broadband plan, progress on the national children's hospital, eCars announcing their proposed first three charger hub & the beginning of widespread vaccine distribution :D.

Oh, Leo will be Teashock again so a great photo op - an electric bus :pac:.

They might paint them green even!

Maybe we'll get a picture of Leo, Eamonn and Michael fighting to be first on the bus :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe we'll get a picture of Leo, Eamonn and Michael fighting to be first on the bus :D

Nah, Mary Lou will be Taoiseach then.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Water John wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/new-electric-buses-2022-ireland-5307851-Dec2020/

Good news, but incredibly, diesel buses are still being introduced to the fleet driving in Dublin city centre. In 2021 and 2022 :rolleyes:

They'll be around what, until 2036? How many people will get cancer from them?

unkel wrote: »
    Good news, but incredibly, diesel buses are still being introduced to the fleet driving in Dublin city centre. In 2021 and 2022 :rolleyes:

They'll be around what, until 2036? How many people will get cancer from them?

Yeah if there was ever a vehicle which I'd like to see converted to electricity it's a bus. Walking around Dublin is like being blasted in the face with diesel exhaust every few minutes

That and delivery vans, judging from the dpd and an post vans around me, they don't seem to know about anything above 2nd gear. And the Amazon prime lads must be paid by the kilometer judging from the route they seem to take on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Delivery vans would be a perfect case for hybrid even...

Delivery vans would be a perfect case for hybrid even...

There's a lot of movement to EV for Light Delivery Vehicles, the relatively predictable nature of their use means it makes sense to have a mixed fleet rather than a fleet of hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fella posted on the Northern Irish ev owners Facebook group recently, he got talking to an Amazon driver. Guy is far from pleased at being shoved into an EV van as the range is crap and he can't do his usual run.

Not a big deal him saying this to an EV driver who is all to well aware of the pros and cons. But the same Amazon driver is repeating his take of woe to every customer he talks to I suspect, which is counter productive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Fella posted on the Northern Irish ev owners Facebook group recently, he got talking to an Amazon driver. Guy is far from pleased at being shoved into an EV van as the range is crap and he can't do his usual run.

Not a big deal him saying this to an EV driver who is all to well aware of the pros and cons. But the same Amazon driver is repeating his take of woe to every customer he talks to I suspect, which is counter productive.

Amazon have their own drivers now?

But being given a van that doesn't have the range for the job is not good. Lots of the couriers have 1 hr +or so drives before even getting to the delivery area's, and the same back.

Was chatting to our postman last year, as they don't need huge range for the local deliveries an ev is suitable for them lots of stop starts etc,

but a lot of the vans are leased (ours had an enterprise one from aug-dec when the depot was flooded.)

Surely it's down to the fleet management folks, don't assign the EV Van to the route that can't do the days deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Old diesel

liamog wrote: »
    Surely it's down to the fleet management folks, don't assign the EV Van to the route that can't do the days deliveries.

Perhaps they do out the van on a route it can complete but the driver is earning less money as a result????.

So isn't happy with that.

• Advertisement

That's probably closer to the truth, they probably have to leave the van at the office too. We've a few bread trucks in our estate that overnight at peoples houses, they'll probably moan at losing the perk of not driving their own car to work during the week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The An Post fleet of EVs are perfect, they were rolled out in our area earlier this month (not the month for a roll out but then again An Post!).
    My local postman and I were chatting for a while as we were early EV adopters way back, he can get about 3 days out of a full charge but he is annoyed he can't keep it at home overnight and that at the end of every day it MUST be plugged in and charged back up to 100%.
    I agree with him on the second point, that is poor battery management especially over the weekend.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    The An Post fleet of EVs are perfect, they were rolled out in our area earlier this month (not the month for a roll out but then again An Post!).
    My local postman and I were chatting for a while as we were early EV adopters way back, he can get about 3 days out of a full charge but he is annoyed he can't keep it at home overnight and that at the end of every day it MUST be plugged in and charged back up to 100%.
    I agree with him on the second point, that is poor battery management especially over the weekend.
    Obviously, An Post management not fully up to speed on charging EV's yet, there may also be the issue about who pays for the home charging of the vans as well.

I think they got those Mercedes E-Vito vans, they'll absolutely rubbish as they have no fast charging whatsoever, 7kW max :(

Total green wash if that's the case, it'll mean Amazon can claim they're going green, meanwhile they're probably leasing a bunch of diesel vans in the background to cover any shortfall

Obviously, An Post management not fully up to speed on charging EV's yet, there may also be the issue about who pays for the home charging of the vans as well.

And who pays for installing a home charger. It shouldn't really be a problem but technically the employee could use it to charge their own EV, in which case the charger is a work benefit and liable to BIK

Another dumb example of ICE logic being applied to EVs that'll need to be fixed

I think they got those Mercedes E-Vito vans, they'll absolutely rubbish as they have no fast charging whatsoever, 7kW max :(

Total green wash if that's the case, it'll mean Amazon can claim they're going green, meanwhile they're probably leasing a bunch of diesel vans in the background to cover any shortfall

They are Renault Kangoo EV in my locality and perfectly matched for the role they fulfill

slave1 wrote: »
    They are Renault Kangoo EV in my locality and perfectly matched for the role they fulfill

Is that Amazon or An Post?

An post definitely seem to be doing it smarter, seem some eNV 200s, and they've a couple of light trucks for bring parcels between sorting offices.

Not to mention those quad bike yokes in the city, they must be great craic to drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

And who pays for installing a home charger. It shouldn't really be a problem but technically the employee could use it to charge their own EV, in which case the charger is a work benefit and liable to BIK

Another dumb example of ICE logic being applied to EVs that'll need to be fixed

In the UK EV (and PHEV) and the associated infrastructure, was exempt of BIK.
    Not sure if this is still the case.

Is that Amazon or An Post?

An post definitely seem to be doing it smarter, seem some eNV 200s, and they've a couple of light trucks for bring parcels between sorting offices.

Not to mention those quad bike yokes in the city, they must be great craic to drive :)

An Post

• Advertisement

Dohvolle wrote: »
    In the UK EV (and PHEV) and the associated infrastructure, was exempt of BIK.
    Not sure if this is still the case.

Unfortunately I don't think it's the same here. Companies can claim the cost of chargers against tax under ACA, but I don't think that applies to home charging for company vehicles

Advertisement