Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

McGiver wrote: »
    No penalties. But you'll have to pay Irish VAT. And the biggest issue is the certificate of conformance, good luck with that.

Might as well buy new in the UK in that case, I believe a dealership doesn't need to charge VAT of they provide proof of export, so at least you won't get hit with double vat payments

I'm guessing with a used car the original vat payment can't be reclaimed if the car is exported

Buying used from northern ireland is probably the only path that makes sense since they're in the EU vat zone, I could see a few importers setting up shop there to bring in UK cars via NI

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Old diesel wrote: »
    I mean re certificate of conformity.

UK has an EU trade deal now as well

Ah I get you, not sure on that front

I'm guessing only professional importers are bringing in cars from Japan, unless someone really wants to drive a car back across Asia and Europe (it'd be one hell of a road trip)

Given that's the case I assume they have the knowledge and resources to get the CoC and factor that into the price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

Laviski wrote: »
    What is your complaint exactly??? As other have stated, provided they move on after 45 min there is nothing to see here... So why you complain?

A quick glance at the eCars map shows apparent decent coverage. What it doesn’t show is that almost all of those are single points of failure when it comes to actually making a journey. All it takes is one car getting there just ahead of you and now your trip is at least 45 minutes longer. Two cars ahead of you and you’re adding in two hours. There’s a reason why Ionity and Tesla and every petrol station in the entire world build multi-stall sites.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Laviski wrote: »
    What is your complaint exactly??? As other have stated, provided they move on after 45 min there is nothing to see here... So why you complain?

Gripe that will continue to get worse I think is ice cars just parking in the space. Along with electric vehicles parked up and not charging cause the space is convenient. That should be putting your panties in a twist.

Already had a number of recent incidents where cars were parked and not charging, these were ccs too.

Was I complaining? I'll get my "panties in a twist" when I experience iceing or eving, but as yet that's never happened when I needed to charge.

Merely stating that because of ecars single unit per site I could of been waiting on that leaf and possibly the i3 if they wanted to switch to DC charging. Instead because I've CCS I went to ionity. My 20 minute stop could of been an hour if I was in a leaf.

Surely the i3 could use the CCS at Ionity as well?

Didn't know they had 11kW AC charging. Maybe that was enough for them given the price difference between ionity and ecars. Without knowing about chargepoint or maingau you'd be comparing 33c Vs 79c per kWh. When you can't benefit from the 175kW on tap at ionity is a hard sell.

I didn't care. It cost me €6+ Vs €3+ to get home after the holidays. I'll get over it.

• Advertisement

Was I complaining? I'll get my "panties in a twist" when I experience iceing or eving, but as yet that's never happened when I needed to charge.

Merely stating that because of ecars single unit per site I could of been waiting on that leaf and possibly the i3 if they wanted to switch to DC charging. Instead because I've CCS I went to ionity. My 20 minute stop could of been an hour if I was in a leaf.

Nothing beats redundancy :D

However, it does seem the Ionity chargers in Ireland are a bit prone to failures, seen a few people complaining about the chargers waiting for power

I've been checking on the city north Ionity and noticed that there always seems to be 1 of 2 (not 4, letting the side down Ionity) chargers out of action

It feels a bit like the Ionity chargers don't have the best grid connection, almost as if the company which controls those connections was also running a competing charging network...

Didn't know they had 11kW AC charging. Maybe that was enough for them given the price difference between ionity and ecars. Without knowing about chargepoint or maingau you'd be comparing 33c Vs 79c per kWh. When you can't benefit from the 175kW on tap at ionity is a hard sell.

I didn't care. It cost me €6+ Vs €3+ to get home after the holidays. I'll get over it.

This is where the whole Ionity is expensive falls apart when it's still around the same price as coffee and a donut from the shop

I feel like we should modify "buy cheap, buy twice" for EV charging

"Charge cheap, wait twice as long"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Yep, CoC will be the biggest issue making imports very difficult (or costly i.e. custom agent will need to be paid to do the paperwork).

With regards to the Vat - would it be possible to buy the car VAT free in the UK? And then pay the Irish Vat to the revenue?

Now that the UK is not part of the EU they won't be charging what we call VAT. They may call it a sales tax of some sort, but that's up to them. It won't be VAT.
    But VAT will be charged at the point of entry to the EU for all goods from a 3rd Country.(i.e, the UK)
    You are going to pay VAT on arrival here to Revenue.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Now that the UK is not part of the EU they won't be charging what we call VAT. They may call it a sales tax of some sort, but that's up to them. It won't be VAT.
    But VAT will be charged at the point of entry to the EU for all goods from a 3rd Country.(i.e, the UK)
    You are going to pay VAT on arrival here to Revenue.ie

VAT isn't an uniquely EU thing it's common across much of world. As far as I'm aware the UK hasn't indicated a desire to move from a VAT system to a final sales system (sales tax)

This is where the whole Ionity is expensive falls apart when it's still around the same price as coffee and a donut from the shop

I feel like we should modify "buy cheap, buy twice" for EV charging

"Charge cheap, wait twice as long"

And here I bought teas and coffees with pastries while I charged. A Mad man so I am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

No penalties. But you'll have to pay Irish VAT. And the biggest issue is the certificate of conformance, good luck with that.

Aren't most cars sourced in the UK EU made cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The certificate of conformance thing is a bit of a red herring for cars registered in the EU.

I had a problem registering a VW Multivan Highline that I imported to Spain from Germany. There had never been one registered in Spain, so they were all confused, even though it was a normal VW T4 albeit a high trim level.

I made contact with VW in Germany and they posted a certificate of conformity for the van. The Spanish ITV (NCT) centre boss looked at it and grunted. The registration was then issued.

Cars built outside the EU might be a bit more difficult, but there would be a cert of conformance available for any car sold in the EU, including Tesla.

vicM wrote: »
    Aren't most cars sourced in the UK EU made cars?

Not necessarily, Nissan, Toyota and Honda all have factories in the UK

The VAT issues are around used cars being imported into Ireland. A new car built in the UK and then exported won't have to pay VAT in the UK because it was never sold in the UK

I believe a car dealership can remove the VAT on a new car if they provide proof of export. You'll still be paying VAT in Ireland, but you wouldn't be double charged

However for a used car, there isn't any VAT component of the price in the UK, and you'll be charged VAT on the purchase price in Ireland. So you're effectively being double taxed on a used car

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

Not necessarily, Nissan, Toyota and Honda all have factories in the UK

The VAT issues are around used cars being imported into Ireland. A new car built in the UK and then exported won't have to pay VAT in the UK because it was never sold in the UK

I believe a car dealership can remove the VAT on a new car if they provide proof of export. You'll still be paying VAT in Ireland, but you wouldn't be double charged

However for a used car, there isn't any VAT component of the price in the UK, and you'll be charged VAT on the purchase price in Ireland. So you're effectively being double taxed on a used car

Isn't that for used cars less than 6 months old/ 6000 kms? Or is that now changed as of yesterday?

Mean the VAT thing..

vicM wrote: »
    Isn't that for used cars less than 6 months old/ 6000 kms? Or is that now changed as of yesterday?

Mean the VAT thing..

Well basically a car less than 6 months old or less than 6000km is classed as new by revenue

I feel like the VAT thing in the UK might be a bit of a hard sell to the dealership, you're basically asking them not to pay tax, which would quite rightly make them nervous

However if it does work out then I think buying a new car in the UK might suddenly become more economical. Cars are generally cheaper in the UK and even after VRT and VAT is paid there could be some savings to be had

Used car imports are most likely dead unfortunately. The only way workable path is via Northern Ireland, you'd need to import the car new to NI, drive it until it's a used car, then sell it. Probably only viable for a dealership or import company to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

liamog wrote: »
    VAT isn't an uniquely EU thing it's common across much of world. As far as I'm aware the UK hasn't indicated a desire to move from a VAT system to a final sales system (sales tax)

Yes but the EU VAT rules will no longer apply to the UK. If you pay VAT there, you'll have to pay it on point of entry to EU also.
    Here is HMRC's guidance for UK traders.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Yes but the EU VAT rules will no longer apply to the UK. If you pay VAT there, you'll have to pay it on point of entry to EU also.
    Here is HMRC's guidance for UK traders.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

From an importing used EVs point of view, you will still be able to do so without paying UK VAT long as the UK car is what's called VAT Qualifying, it's definitely a massive reduction in the number of used cars available to us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

liamog wrote: »
    From an importing used EVs point of view, you will still be able to do so without paying UK VAT long as the UK car is what's called VAT Qualifying, it's definitely a massive reduction in the number of used cars available to us.

We've run across the vat qualifing thing before on the business side of things in ireland.

Buying new , not a problem, but say if we were to buy a second hand piece of machinery, and the owner before us wasn't VAT registered, then then VAT can't be claimed back from that purchase.

So for cars, unless it was originally owned by a business, can't claim the vat back off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/05/electric-cars-record-market-share-norway

54% of cars sold in Norway in 2020 were BEV. It increased through the year, hitting a high of just about 67% in December. Biggest seller was the E-Tron, beating Model 3 into second.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw that mentioned on Kris Rifa's channel. ETron selling really well up there. The shorter range is made up for by the great quattro system for the Norway winter, and the great norwegian charging infrastructure - they have widespread HPC coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ELM327 wrote: »
    the great norwegian charging infrastructure - they have widespread HPC coverage.

I bet they have sites up there with more HPC's than we have on the entire island of Ireland......

We have what, 30 Tesla units (32 if you include the 2 at Birdhill that are not in use), 14? Ionity units, and 3/4 ESB HyperLoops?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I bet they have sites up there with more HPC's than we have on the entire island of Ireland......

We have what, 30 Tesla units, 14? Ionity units, and 3/4 ESB HyperLoops?
    Nebennes has more Tesla stalls (44) than we have Tesla and Ionity combined.

The "ecars HPC", two of which are software limited to 50kW still

ELM327 wrote: »
    The "ecars HPC", two of which are software limited to 50kW still

They'll unlock it to 100kW when they get another cheque for €10m :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/volkswagen-group-strengthens-market-position-in-2020-and-hits-the-ground-running-in-e-offensive-6752

Some highlights...
    Overall sales down 15% in 2020 due to Covid but BEV sales are up 200+% at 231,600 and 190,500 PHEVs (+175 per-cent).

For VW brand...
    "In Western Europe, the share of electric vehicles therefore surged to 10.5 percent of overall deliveries (2019: 1.9 percent)"

10% is a healthy figure considering where they were at in 2019 and considering Covid in 2020. Imagine where it will go over the next 5 years when ID.4 comes on stream and Covid goes away!

The ID.3 and eTron numbers were strong.
    – Volkswagen ID.3 56,500 units
    – Audi e-tron 47,300 units

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've never been to an Applegreen motorway services, so do they generally have charging? Maybe a particular provider? They've apparently started work on a service area in Mullinavat near the southern end of the M9.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I've never been to an Applegreen motorway services, so do they generally have charging? Maybe a particular provider? They've apparently started work on a service area in Mullinavat near the southern end of the M9.

Some Applegreen motorway services have a free to use 50kW DC charger at them, like at Birdhill, where that’s 5 50kW units I believe.

Mullinavat would be a good location for a fast charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JohnC. wrote: »

M1 has four charging stations at Applegreen locations, and there’s at least one on the M11.

MJohnston wrote: »
    M1 has four charging stations at Applegreen locations, and there’s at least one on the M11.

I thought you meant 4 per site and I was about to start jumping for joy, but then realised there are 4 Applegreen service stations, 1 charger per site

Thank you ESB :(

Some Applegreen motorway services have a free to use 50kW DC charger at them, like at Birdhill, where that’s 5 50kW units I believe.

Mullinavat would be a good location for a fast charger.

Just checked plugshare, 2x 50kW tritium units with CCS and Chademo

Still miles ahead of an ESB site, having luxuries like a backup charger in case one is broken. Noticed in the comments that apparently one of the CCS plugs was kaput and the poster just moved to the other charger

If that was an ESB site they'd have been stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I thought you meant 4 per site and I was about to start jumping for joy, but then realised there are 4 Applegreen service stations, 1 charger per site

Thank you ESB :(

Well of course two of the M1 stations also have about 10 Superchargers EACH that I've never once seen being used.

Advertisement