Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well of course two of the M1 stations also have about 10 Superchargers EACH that I've never once seen being used.

Those Tesla boys, do be in and out in a flash, and if you blink you'll miss them... ;):D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭zg3409

If that was an ESB site they'd have been stuck

A few ESB sites now have 2 x 44kW+ chargers. Kells has 2 co located (one 150kW) and another 44kW nearby.

They have plans for more 2 44kW+ sites, some with 150kW chargers.
    I always assume sites will be busy/broken/blocked and a fill up with at least enough range to reach another site. I also check recent history on plugshare and zapmap and Facebook comments and even pick a route with better coverage even if a bit longer. I look at real time data on route and fly past a charger if its recently started a charge assuming I will need to queue. Its far from ideal but reduces anxiety if you know you are very unlikely to run out of power or queue unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

zg3409 wrote: »
    I always assume sites will be busy/broken/blocked and a fill up with at least enough range to reach another site. I also check recent history on plugshare and zapmap and Facebook comments and even pick a route with better coverage even if a bit longer. I look at real time data on route and fly past a charger if its recently started a charge assuming I will need to queue. Its far from ideal but reduces anxiety if you know you are very unlikely to run out of power or queue unnecessarily.

The bit in bold is candidate for understatement of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see that Toyota announced, (which I missed) that they have a Solid State Battery (SSB) almost developed. It has 2.5 times the density of Li-ion and can be recharged from 0- 100% in 10 minutes. Anybody have any info on this?
    This article turned up in an agri forum I follow:

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/could-toyotas-latest-battery-announcement-change-tractors-forever/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Water John wrote: »
    I see that Toyota announced, (which I missed) that they have a Solid State Battery (SSB) almost developed. It has 2.5 times the density of Li-ion and can be recharged from 0- 100% in 10 minutes. Anybody have any info on this?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/could-toyotas-latest-battery-announcement-change-tractors-forever/
    is it self charging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I see that Toyota announced, (which I missed) that they have a Solid State Battery (SSB) almost developed.

Last year I read it was predicted in 2025.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33435923/toyota-solid-state-battery-2025/

Now they're saying the early 2020s, which could be 2023/24.
    It'll probably be a prototype & meaningless for many years.

I bet Elon is hoping that anyway - didn't he just announce tabless 4680 cylindrical lithium ion batteries, which he's hoping to be mass producing, in the billions, in the next 3 years? Same old tech for Tesla then, tweaked.

ELM327 wrote: »
    is it self charging?

Only if you start at the top of a hill, or put petrol in it :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Not at the proto type stage yet, that is expected in teased for in 2021.

Be careful, Toyota bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not at the proto type stage yet, that is expected in teased for in 2021.

Be careful, Toyota bad

Do you remember the days when teasers were for movies and companies didn't put out BS 'scientific' articles to make it seem like they had some big advancement just around the corner?

We didn't know how easy we had it...

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

0 to 100% in 10 minutes......

...... because it’s only 5kWh.....

And so do this you need to be driving at 150km/h on the ICE engine...

539908.jpeg

• Advertisement

I see that Toyota announced, (which I missed) that they have a Solid State Battery (SSB) almost developed.

Apparently, VW are ahead of the posse with regard to solid state......

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/8/22158573/quantumscape-solid-state-battery-ev-range-charge-vw

I really don't know who to believe these days - I'll stick with Elon, he seems clued in, with cars making farting sounds etc. :D.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kramer wrote: »
    Apparently, VW are ahead of the posse with regard to solid state......

QuantumScape are an interesting one to watch, they are around ten years old and have a non exclusive arrangement with VW. Their recent results covered lithium meal a single layer pouch cell packaged to dimensions that would fit automotive uses, they showed a retained capacity of 80% after 800 cycles at 30°C with a charge rate of 1C. The big challenge for them now will be to figure out how to build the cells at a commercial scale.

liamog wrote: »
    QuantumScape are an interesting one to watch, they are around ten years old and have a non exclusive arrangement with VW. Their recent results covered lithium meal a single layer pouch cell packaged to dimensions that would fit automotive uses, they showed a retained capacity of 80% after 800 cycles at 30°C with a charge rate of 1C. The big challenge for them now will be to figure out how to build the cells at a commercial scale.

Hopefully it works out, until I see a car being sold with solid state batteries I'm not gonna have much faith in timelines

If I remember correctly VW own a chunk of Northvolt, they might be gearing up to bring battery manufacturing in house if the Quantum Scape venture pans out

The laws of mass production being what they are, I imagine those batteries will be quite expensive at first. So they'll probably only appear in the top end vehicles, Porsches and Audi's and will eventually filter down to the low end cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Jizique

liamog wrote: »

GAC saying they have developed a battery using graphene that charges to 80% in 8 mins and offers 1,000km - working on it since 2014.
    More details later this month and launch Q4 2021

Jizique wrote: »
    GAC saying they have developed a battery using graphene that charges to 80% in 8 mins and offers 1,000km - working on it since 2014.
    More details later this month and launch Q4 2021
    From where?
    What plug gives even 25% of the power that needs?
    No point building an EV that charges at 600kW or something, as these chargers do not exist.

Tesla could build a v4 supercharger setup or something but other OEMs havent a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Sky News have a story claiming a new battery invented to charge in five minutes

http://news.sky.com/story/new-electric-car-battery-can-be-fully-charged-in-five-minutes-12192253

IrishHomer wrote: »
    The breakthrough could address a significant concern for electric car drivers - the fear of running out of power during a journey, marooning the vehicle for a couple of hours while it charges.

Thats roughly about the same as the fear I had when driving my diesel car, and at about the same levels...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As like all "battery breakthroughs"... dont believe it until you see it in a real production car.

http://news.sky.com/story/new-electric-car-battery-can-be-fully-charged-in-five-minutes-12192253
    Again, from where?

Ha, they were moaning about the UK charging network

They should come to Ireland and take a look at our "network" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    As like all "battery breakthroughs"... dont believe it until you see it in a real production car.

True, but it's getting closer. We're going from lab prototypes that barely function to something that can be manufactured in a production line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Again, from where?

The Guardian article gives better, though still not enough, detail:
    The batteries can be fully charged in five minutes but this would require much higher-powered chargers than used today. Using available charging infrastructure, StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025.

100 miles / 160km in 5 minutes in 2025?
    You can nearly do that today in a model 3 at a V3 supercharger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

From where?
    What plug gives even 25% of the power that needs?
    No point building an EV that charges at 600kW or something, as these chargers do not exist.

Tesla could build a v4 supercharger setup or something but other OEMs havent a hope

They’re not talking about launching it today. Chargers get rolled out. Was it the Taycan that even launched with no charger able to provide what it can take at peak? It’s for the future. A while ago there we no chargers for any cars. Complaining that there’s no charger for it right now misses the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

True, but it's getting closer. We're going from lab prototypes that barely function to something that can be manufactured in a production line

Maybe.
    There is a big leap though to get from cell production to convincing a large OEM to buy your cells.... whats the reliability like, longevity, does it scale in production, cost etc.

And they are talking about it being ready in 5 years time! :pac: .... we've heard it all before! My guess is its kite flying for another round of funding!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

100 miles / 160km in 5 minutes in 2025?
    You can nearly do that today in a model 3 at a V3 supercharger.

I know its a nice figure and gets it into simple terms, Putting charging rate in distance/time is so variable.

If your car does 20kWh/100km - to get 160 km of range in 5 minutes, is 384kW
    16km/100km - you only need 307kW

As ELM said, they arent far off the mark now. The porsche taycan can peak at 270, but im sure getting it down to 20kwh/100km might be tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

graememk wrote: »
    As ELM said, they arent far off the mark now. The porsche taycan can peak at 270, but im sure getting it down to 20kwh/100km might be tricky!

.. and as for the lumpen masses, Hyundai has recently released a teaser about its 2021 Ioniq 5 that also boasts of 100km in range gained in 5 minutes of charging...
    https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/ioniq/ioniq5

pdpmur wrote: »
    .. and as for the lumpen masses, Hyundai has recently released a teaser about its 2021 Ioniq 5 that also boasts of 100km in range gained in 5 minutes of charging...
    https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/ioniq/ioniq5

I like the camping videos, 3kW of power is enough for an electric cooker and maybe a small fridge, plus some lights

That's more than a lot of campsites will give you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here is an interesting video on the Model 3 motor. It's a bit tecky and suited to physics nerds. The Prius uses a similar design.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUb7Zy5Oio

Advertisement