Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The ESB should be full speed ahead now

Well, in fairness, I don't think the ESB can be doing anything specifically right now, under Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, I don't think the ESB can be doing anything specifically right now, under Level 5.

They could surely, it would be classed as essential work.

NIMAN wrote: »

They could surely, it would be classed as essential work.

Maybe, that would be untrue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Critical infrastructure can be installed/maintained during Level 5.

Now is exactly when they should be doing it, when things are relatively quiet..

It would be 100% legitimate to be installing charging infrastructure during Level 5.

If the lads are still out doing the fibre upgrades (which they are), then installing/upgrading EV charging infrastructure is perfectly deemed as essential.

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    Bit late to this but I think this is completely off the mark. I was first turned on to EVs when I got into a leaf taxi in May 2019. Until then I too believed the usual guff about lack of range, batteries not good enough etc. I told the driver i was thinking hybrid and he said why would you? Why have two drivetrains and double the number of things that can go wrong. Well not double he said because the electric drivetrain is vastly superior and much less (read zero) maintenance. His Leaf was a year old at that point and he said he got > 250km range. Most days he drove 150-180km. 225 on the outside. Charger at home and at night rate it was €2 worth of charging every night. He had saved loads on petrol in the year. Down from 6000 to 600. Most urban taxi drivers drive under 250km a day and don’t need expensive fast charging.

And who drives 100km each way to start their taxi work? Maybe 5% of taxi drivers of even. Fine they can stick to PHEV or even ICE. But for the vast majority even a Leaf would do just fine. Airport taxis that do long journeys are a minority.

So why are the "miserable" taxi drivers all still not in batttery cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Workers are currently installing a fuel line from Dublin port to Dublin airport to carry fuel to aircraft which are largely grounded and unlikely to be flying for a year at least

If that's essential then installing fast chargers easily counts

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It would be 100% legitimate to be installing charging infrastructure during Level 5.

If the lads are still out doing the fibre upgrades (which they are), then installing/upgrading EV charging infrastructure is perfectly deemed as essential.

Sorry, it’s just not essential or critical imo. It can wait. No need to risk the lives of some ESB workers for a few extra months of fast chargers.

Workers are currently installing a fuel line from Dublin port to Dublin airport to carry fuel to aircraft which are largely grounded and unlikely to be flying for a year at least

Doesn’t sound essential to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Sorry, it’s just not essential or critical imo. It can wait. No need to risk the lives of some ESB workers for a few extra months of fast chargers.

Risk the lives, come off it with that hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Once a sort of normal resumes (and probably not even this year, but next year maybe), there are going to be a lot of folk driving around in their new 2020/2021 EV's who will suddenly find out how woefully inadequate our public charging infrastructure is...

I think this year could be quite bad. When restrictions are lifted (or begin to be lifted), people will want to see their friends and family that they may not have seen in 15 months. People will want to take a break from their houses (and maybe their immediate family!) and they won't be able to go on foreign holidays. All of this will mean large numbers of people travelling around the country, possibly more than in a normal year.

Doesn’t sound essential to me either.

Nor to me, and yet work proceeds

I agree that the definition of essential projects seems a bit warped, however it is what it is.

Compared to a large housing development, smaller infrastructure projects are probably safer, fewer people and outdoors

Nor to me, and yet work proceeds

I agree that the definition of essential projects seems a bit warped, however it is what it is.

Compared to a large housing development, smaller infrastructure projects are probably safer, fewer people and outdoors

The fuel pipeline probably has economic prospects that the government sees as an offset to the risk. Not sure I agree, but that’s probably what it is.

I doubt either FF or FG see electric vehicles as any kind of essential part of their Ireland.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Risk the lives, come off it with that hyperbole.

It is a risk, like it or not. It can be a small one, but it’s still a risk.

The fuel pipeline probably has economic prospects that the government sees as an offset to the risk. Not sure I agree, but that’s probably what it is.

I doubt either FF or FG see electric vehicles as any kind of essential part of their Ireland.

Regrettably I think you're correct :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I don't know, how much disruption it is causing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Probably makes a lot of sense to crack on with the pipeline , road traffic levels will probably never be lower , so minimum of road disturbance..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Probably makes a lot of sense to crack on with the pipeline , road traffic levels will probably never be lower , so minimum of road disturbance..

Likewise with charging infrastructure, and motorway hubs....

I don't know, how much disruption it is causing?

Probably about the same as installing chargers, hence my original point that if a fuel pipeline can be considered essential given it isn't needed, then surely EV chargers are also classed as essential given there is an immediate need for them

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The 95g/km E.U. regulations are forcing manufacturers to innovate, not Tesla.

Innovate at a snail's pace? PHEV and even some smaller "self charging hybrids" :rolleyes: can easily make the cut. The 95g/km CO2 is a figure that can easily be cheated on and has no bearing on real life figures. WLTP test only barely touches on the motorway speed and has no reflection whatsoever of congested city driving.

Thankfully some manufacturers have finally seen the light and are going full out with BEV only cars moving forward. Obviously VAG is number one on that list of followers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The SEAI must be spending big bucks on advertising/sponsoring these days - I've probably seen 5 or 6 "lifestyle" advertisements articles over the last week or so, in the mainstream media/publications.

This one:

https://www.thejournal.ie/electric-vehicle-ireland-5348943-Feb2021/

Is that Simon Acton the Dublin EV car dealer? It's probably just a coincidence - the advertisement article doesn't mention he is in the industry :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

Simon is the Chair of the IEOVA. But probably you knew that

innrain wrote: »
    Simon is the Chair of the IEOVA. But probably you knew that

Nope, no clue. I just recognised the name as being an EV dealer, like Phil Fitz etc.

Whatever he does in his spare time is his own business :P.

Every time I'm driving behind one of those Toyota Self Charging Hybrids,

I always see smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe!!

amiriteeel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are actively self charging :P

Interesting video on pumped hydro...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Kramer wrote: »
    Interesting video on pumped hydro...........

Pity he doesn't do one on liquid air storage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed Bjorn's series with the Mercedes MQV. First time I've watched one of his 1,000 km challenges. He's a mad fella.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Pity he doesn't do one on liquid air storage.

Give the man time! he's working through quite a few different techs

• Advertisement

Not sure I'd agree with the headline - "sharp rise" :eek:.
    90 odd more BEVs registered this year over last year.

That's what, less than 4 per county. Hardly indicates a sharp rise, due to the "new tax scheme" :rolleyes:.

Sharp Rise in EV sales - Independent

Yes, a 10% increase, but 10% of a tiny amount.

Advertisement