Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy or build a house ??

Options
  • 03-07-2019 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi just looking for a bit of advice my fiance and i are renting together and we are looking to build a house in Kildare . We are lucky as my parents have land . We are both working .

Just wondering how would it cost to build a 180 sq metre house to a reasonably high standard?

And also do the banks release the money to you at stages when you are building compared to just giving you a loan straight away when you are building ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Hi just looking for a bit of advice my fiance and i are renting together and we are looking to build a house in Kildare . We are lucky as my parents have land . We are both working .

Just wondering how would it cost to build a 120 sq metre house to a reasonably high standard?

And also do the banks release the money to you at stages when you are building compared to just giving you a loan straight away when you are building ?

Thanks
    The way planing is in Kildare at moment I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on planing permission. I know two couples personally who can’t get planing. They both come from farming backgrounds and are building on family land.
    To answer your other question , you draw down the money in stages from the bank while building.
    Your builder will let you know at what stages he needs the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

harr wrote: »
    The way planing is in Kildare at moment I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on planing permission. I know two couples personally who can’t get planing. They both come from farming backgrounds and are building on family land.
    To answer your other question , you draw down the money in stages from the bank while building.

Ok thats not good news i didnt think they would refuse you on your own land. But thanks for the input !

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just wondering how would it cost to build a 180 sq metre house to a reasonably high standard?

Thanks

180 SQ M to a reasonably high standard, finished, built by a contractor.... would realistically currently come in around €300,000

sydthebeat wrote: »
    180 SQ M to a reasonably high standard, finished, built by a contractor.... would realistically currently come in around €300,000

Ok and would be for a bungalow or two storey ?

• Advertisement

Ok and would be for a bungalow or two storey ?

allow about 10% more for a bungalow

allow about 10% more for a bungalow

Oh ok and how come a bungalow costs more i thought it would be cheaper as its less building materials ?

Oh ok and how come a bungalow costs more i thought it would be cheaper as its less building materials ?

think about it......

twice the foundation area.... and twice the roof area.... with the roof being the most expensive structural element

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

180 sq.m of a bungalow has more foundations and concrete slab, insulation, etc than the same floor area of a 2 storey 180 sq.m as it has a larger footprint.

OSI wrote: »
    Seems quite high. Currently have a quote of 320k for a 240sqm 1.5 storey.

turn key finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OSI wrote: »
    Seems quite high. Currently have a quote of 320k for a 240sqm 1.5 storey.

10k to kildare co co (that's what meath want)
    7k ish Irish water
    ESB -just did a minor connection in work 2.2k

Engineer and architect?

Say 30 all in for above.

That 320k prob just house so driveway and gates another 15

Shed / garage 10k

Your 320 becomes 375k pretty quickly

Myself and a qs at work came to 400k plus the site for 1.5 story 220 sq metres. Turnkey to decent finish (9ft ceilings, granite, timber floor)

(There was a retaining wall and associated works in there)

Site was 100k with full planning on it.

We're buying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's really difficult to throw a figure out there for what X sq/metres costs to build, because things will vary hugely depending on:

- where you are in the country (co-council contributions seem to vary hugely depending on county. ~3K in Galway. ~10k+ in Meath).

- ease of connection to water / ESB (any obstacles here will cost $$$)

- architect fees

- complexity of the design

- what finishes are you expecting? A 7k kitchen versus a 40k kitchen? 15k PVC windows versus 30k aluclad? Basic sanitary ware versus marble bathrooms?

- external works (this can be a big one) - driveways, boundary walls (planners usually stipulate a stone faced front boundary wall - add 10k). Garage (20-30k).

So... one man's piece of string could be lot longer than another man's piece of string.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just been/going through all this rigmarole, if you are going to build you need a lot of stamina and patience. And money. If, for example, you don't get this job started before I think it is next October the regs for heating/insulation etc are going to increase again, which will put the price up further. The price of building is almost insupportable. Lots of new(ish) planning regs but not the staff to enforce or process them. Engineers/professionals needed at every step of the way, but a lot of them left during the slump, many more are not Chartered - which you need for some processes, there are simply not enough to deal with all the work that is out there. And much the same applies to builders.

Having got planning permission, because of a change in personal circumstances I am now buying and it is better value all round. Yes you will not have a totally air tight, cheaply heated building, you will not have exactly what you want, and you have to battle with the consequences of lack of compliance and/or enforcement that happened when and just before building regs came in, but even so.

However if you buy a place that needs a lot of development you are back in the same situation as if you were building - it can work out more expensive than buying something habitable, or even building new, and you will have to engage with planning and be compliant with regs (putting in approved heating system etc). However since oil is not going to get any cheaper (and if you have any concern for climate issues) you may want to put in the air to water or water to water systems anyway. There are grants available but, as with a lot of government schemes, the cost of getting the grant - in terms of time, effort and inflated prices - may be so much more than just doing it directly that the grant is not worth bothering with.

Buying a house has a very steep learning curve, building one is much steeper. Good luck, but do a lot of homework at every step of the way.

looksee wrote: »
    . If, for example, you don't get this job started before I think it is next October the regs for heating/insulation etc are going to increase again, which will put the price up further..

no.

the operative date of the new regulations depends on when you APPLY for planning permission...

so anyone who has applied for planning permission before 1st November 2019... and substantially complete before 1st Nov 2020..... will be subject to the 2011 regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭furryhead

Thanks

Hi Jake. Currently preparing our 3rd planning application in Kildare. Refused twice. Been an absolute nightmare tbh and going on best part of three years. My advice would be to get the site assessed prior to even hiring your architect. Find out what obstacles might be in your way(environmental etc). Maybe check previous applications in the area and try address any potential problems from the outset. Unfortunately we didn't do this and have lost time and money as a result. Some of the reasons people are been refused is a disgrace tbh. We hope it will pay off for us but the initial excitement of building our own home has just turned into stress and with kids it's made it worse. We have been advised of the importance of having the correct councillor and that certain planners are better to have than others which is complete bulls**t if that is the case.
    Found it impossible to get a meeting with a senior planner to see where we need to go or indeed if it is even worth pursuing. But they are happy enough for young couples to spend large chunks of savings to roll the dice.

Incidentally, if you are thinking of buying, don't put too much reliance on what the adverts tell you. Get a proper Chartered Surveyor on the job and be prepared to pay for a decent survey (think €400 to 500 +). The surveys that banks etc do only establish that the building is not likely to fall down any time soon.

If it is not given, figure out what the eircode of the property is, it will make life much easier.

Familiarise yourself with Land Direct (Land Registry) - check sites and boundaries for yourself, there are a lot of messy sites and boundaries, better to skip past them. Vendors should ensure that their property is Land Registry and Planning compliant, but few do and you can save yourself a lot of grief by checking them yourself. Your solicitor will also check them, but easier to eliminate obviously dodgy ones before you get to that stage.

Have a look at OSI maps (layers) and check for indications of flood plains etc. If you have any suspicions at all get your surveyor to check (they can access better maps).

Look up the planning history of the building. This is hard on older buildings as you have to get paper files but on newer ones check out what has been applied for and what conditions were applied - and if they were conformed with.

Many Estate Agents (not all) have no interest in what they are selling. It could be you innocently trying to buy a small, new looking house that I spotted recently for sale - no eircode, no BER, hm, strange. Checked planning - no evidence of any planning permission at all. How did they get an ESB number? Advertised as a restored house but Google maps and OSI showed no building on the site previously. It won't get any further than a decent solicitor, but a lot of time is going to be wasted over it.

no.

the operative date of the new regulations depends on when you APPLY for planning permission...

so anyone who has applied for planning permission before 1st November 2019... and substantially complete before 1st Nov 2020..... will be subject to the 2011 regulations

Well yes, but applying for planning is part of 'the job', but I see how you read it. They absolutely will not be starting building by November if they are only thinking about it at the moment.

Well yes, but applying for planning is part of 'the job', but I see how you read it. They absolutely will not be starting building by November if they are only thinking about it at the moment.

????

did you not read what i said?

all they have to do to avoid the new regulations is to APPLY for planning permission before the 1st November this year.

Thats very achievable at this stage

Thats very achievable at this stage

It is, just about - but they'd need to get their skates on pretty soon and make a decision on engineer/architect and then decide and agree upon a design, get all the paperwork in order, trial holes done, etc, etc...

All the above takes significant time in my experience!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It is, just about - but they'd need to get their skates on pretty soon and make a decision on engineer/architect and then decide and agree upon a design, get all the paperwork in order, trial holes done, etc, etc...

All the above takes significant time in my experience!

and i work in that industry day in, day out.....

its very achievable

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭beertons

harr wrote: »

I've been trying to sell a site, to someone 2 miles from it, and neither she not her partner can get permission. Very frustrating for both parties.

10k to kildare co co (that's what meath want)
    7k ish Irish water
    ESB -just did a minor connection in work 2.2k

Engineer and architect?

Say 30 all in for above.

That 320k prob just house so driveway and gates another 15

Shed / garage 10k

Your 320 becomes 375k pretty quickly

Myself and a qs at work came to 400k plus the site for 1.5 story 220 sq metres. Turnkey to decent finish (9ft ceilings, granite, timber floor)

(There was a retaining wall and associated works in there)

Site was 100k with full planning on it.

We're buying

Ok so is that 10k to the council for planning permission and what if they refuse you and you apply again do you have to pay another 10k ??

As regards the irish water can drill into ground for your own water ?

Ok so is that 10k to the council for planning permission and what if they refuse you and you apply again do you have to pay another 10k ??

As regards the irish water can drill into ground for your own water ?

The 10k is a fee you pay before you build. After planning permission is granted of course.

furryhead wrote: »
    Hi Jake. Currently preparing our 3rd planning application in Kildare. Refused twice. Been an absolute nightmare tbh and going on best part of three years. My advice would be to get the site assessed prior to even hiring your architect. Find out what obstacles might be in your way(environmental etc). Maybe check previous applications in the area and try address any potential problems from the outset. Unfortunately we didn't do this and have lost time and money as a result. Some of the reasons people are been refused is a disgrace tbh. We hope it will pay off for us but the initial excitement of building our own home has just turned into stress and with kids it's made it worse. We have been advised of the importance of having the correct councillor and that certain planners are better to have than others which is complete bulls**t if that is the case.
    Found it impossible to get a meeting with a senior planner to see where we need to go or indeed if it is even worth pursuing. But they are happy enough for young couples to spend large chunks of savings to roll the dice.

Ok thanks for that i really didnt think there was going to be a problem with it because there has been housea going up all around us and they are not even from the area and our land has been in our family for generations .

Did you have keep paying large amounts of money each time you applied for planning permission?

And what are the reason they turned you down just out of curiosity ?

The 10k is a fee you pay before you build. After planning permission is granted of course.

Sorry i meant can you not have your own well instead of paying irish water ridiculous amounts of money

and i work in that industry day in, day out.....

its very achievable

Indeed, if you work in the industry I have no doubt it is.

However if you are just a Joe Bloggs (sorry Joe, not you) you have to first find an architect and when you have found one, work at their pace to get anything done. Four months is nothing to get to planning stage - even when you have the land ready and waiting. Unless of course you need surveys. And you will certainly need a preplanning meeting and they take 2 months before you start.

Indeed, if you work in the industry I have no doubt it is.

However if you are just a Joe Bloggs (sorry Joe, not you) you have to first find an architect and when you have found one, work at their pace to get anything done. Four months is nothing to get to planning stage - even when you have the land ready and waiting. Unless of course you need surveys. And you will certainly need a preplanning meeting and they take 2 months before you start.

Exactly.

If only I’d hired Sydthebeat.

Sorry i meant can you not have your own well instead of paying irish water ridiculous amounts of money

Irish Water recently standardised their fee. It’s something like €2,200 for a new water connection.
    But if your site / location of site is outside their realm of “usual” then that fee could be much higher.

Irish Water recently standardised their fee. It’s something like €2,200 for a new water connection.
    But if your site / location of site is outside their realm of “usual” then that fee could be much higher.

Thanks well this sounds like an absolute nightmare . So if you want to spend say 260 k on building a house its gonna cost min an extra 50 k on everything else .
    So all in all it seems as though its better to buy house for the same money than build .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It's really difficult to throw a figure out there for what X sq/metres costs to build, because things will vary hugely depending on:

- where you are in the country (co-council contributions seem to vary hugely depending on county. ~3K in Galway. ~10k+ in Meath).

- ease of connection to water / ESB (any obstacles here will cost $$)

- architect fees

- complexity of the design

- what finishes are you expecting? A 7k kitchen versus a 40k kitchen? 15k PVC windows versus 30k aluclad? Basic sanitary ware versus marble bathrooms?

- external works (this can be a big one) - driveways, boundary walls (planners usually stipulate a stone faced front boundary wall - add 10k). Garage (20-30k).

So... one man's piece of string could be lot longer than another man's piece of string.

This.

From someone who built 2 years ago.

Advertisement