Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy or build a house ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Irish Water recently standardised their fee. It’s something like €2,200 for a new water connection.
    But if your site / location of site is outside their realm of “usual” then that fee could be much higher.

Rate is per service so doubles for foul.
    Sure it's about 7 all in for both.

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Sorry i meant can you not have your own well instead of paying irish water ridiculous amounts of money

You may be allowed your own well. You will not be allowed your own septic tank if foul connection available.

TBH
    you will not drill a well or build a full wastewater system for less.
    And you have to service them forever.
    I recently spent 8k upgrading wastewater to a raised bed system. Be delighted to pay 3k to Irish water instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Rate is per service so doubles for foul.
    Sure it's about 7 all in for both.

That’s right yeah. In my case I’ll have my own septic tank / treatment plant so only require the water. I’d imagine this is the most common case for rural one off houses.

"From the 1 April 2019 the Connection Charging Policy will take effect with the cost per single domestic unit for a standard connection being €2,272 for Water and €3,929 Wastewater (Connection Infrastructure up to 10 metres)."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If there is a supply going past your property that is what it will cost. If they have to dig on public road then the price will shoot up. You do a very preliminary query with Irish Water asking if the connection is feasible.

• Advertisement

Yep says up to 10m

Price particularly for sewer would raise considerable for longer distances.

Far easier lay watermain than sewer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Thanks well this sounds like an absolute nightmare . So if you want to spend say 260 k on building a house its gonna cost min an extra 50 k on everything else .
    So all in all it seems as though its better to buy house for the same money than build .

It all really depends on your expectations and budget. You're in a good position from the off - a site gifted to you. That puts you in a good position with banks, you can borrow 100% of the build cost (the site is your deposit).

What kind of house in Kildare will you buy for 260-300k? I'd imagine not very much in the current climate. And then when you've bought it, what will you want/need to spend on it to bring it up to your own tastes / modern standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭furryhead

Jake5991 wrote:
    Ok thanks for that i really didnt think there was going to be a problem with it because there has been housea going up all around us and they are not even from the area and our land has been in our family for generations .

Jake5991 wrote:
    Did you have keep paying large amounts of money each time you applied for planning permission?

Jake5991 wrote:
    And what are the reason they turned you down just out of curiosity ?

Sorry for delay. You may have no problem with it but my own experience of the whole thing is not positive. Mainly environmental reasons were why we were refused. Yeah it costs extra each time depending on what you need to do to rectify issues but there is still no guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

furryhead wrote: »
    Sorry for delay. You may have no problem with it but my own experience of the whole thing is not positive. Mainly environmental reasons were why we were refused. Yeah it costs extra each time depending on what you need to do to rectify issues but there is still no guarantee.

Ok well i still think we would build a better house for the same price as building but my fiance doesn't want to do it because of all the stress involved. Plus we are trying to have a family and if she has to leave work on maternity leave she is afraid the banks wont release money to us because they release it in stages and then it will a lot longer .

Advertisement