Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest Rates Short to Medium Term?

• 03-07-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am currently on LTV variable rate >50% <=80% of 2.95% with AIB. With a valuation which costs €150 I would be able to avail of LTV variable rate <=50% of 2.75%. But the 5 years fixed rate of 2.85% seems appealing and doesn't require a valuation fee. What are folks thoughts on the short to medium term view on interest rates. Are the banks pricing lower fixed rates as they are expecting lower ECB rates in the short to medium term. Please Help as I assume there are knowledgeable out there that have done some research or are in the know. Al advice is appreciated and I understand is a guesstimate and will be influenced by market conditions. Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

I am currently on LTV variable rate >50% <=80% of 2.95% with AIB. With a valuation which costs €150 I would be able to avail of LTV variable rate <=50% of 2.75%. But the 5 years fixed rate of 2.85% seems appealing and doesn't require a valuation fee. What are folks thoughts on the short to medium term view on interest rates. Are the banks pricing lower fixed rates as they are expecting lower ECB rates in the short to medium term. Please Help as I assume there are knowledgeable out there that have done some research or are in the know. Al advice is appreciated and I understand is a guesstimate and will be influenced by market conditions. Thanks in advance.

Would you not just get the valuation done. Move to the 2.75% for a year or so & see if AIB would lower their Fixed rates further?

Or move to Ulster bank fixed rate of 2.3% for 2 years? If you do let me know how you manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

Dave, me again.

So I was talking to a mate & he has switched 3 times in 5 years to avail of cashback offers.

I looked at tsb & they have a rate of 3.4% (€55) more a month but €4800 in cashback.

When the year is up then switch to another bank with similar offer or am i missing something?

Forget to factor in valuation & solicitor fees. But still you would be €2k better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

I didn't think you were able to switch that quick and avail of cashback offers. It was my understanding to receive the cashback offer you have to sign up to stay for a minimum period was in excess of 1 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

baldbear wrote: »
    When the year is up then switch to another bank with similar offer or am i missing something?

What happens when the bank with the lowest rate stops offering Cashback?

Or worse, doesn't accept your application? And you get stuck with the more expensive bank. The difference is several thousand a year, every year for the life of your mortgage.

Advertisement