Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Benefit vs Cash Value in Life insurance

• 03-07-2019 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Dad passed away afew weeks back and I'm in the process of helping my mother with making a claim with Aviva on his whole of life policy.

My question is regarding the death benefit and the cash value of the policy. I've received advice from one financial consultant who believes that it may be possible to recoup the cash value (which is less than half the death benefit figure) as well as the death benefit itself.
    On the other hand, I've spoken to an advisor at an accountancy firm where Dad used to do a bit of business and he believes the normal practise is to only pay out the death benefit OR the cash value, whichever is the larger of the two.

Could anyone shed any light on this for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

it will be whatever is outlined in the policy documents,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Agricola wrote: »
    Hi all,

My Dad passed away afew weeks back and I'm in the process of helping my mother with making a claim with Aviva on his whole of life policy.

My question is regarding the death benefit and the cash value of the policy. I've received advice from one financial consultant who believes that it may be possible to recoup the cash value (which is less than half the death benefit figure) as well as the death benefit itself.
    On the other hand, I've spoken to an advisor at an accountancy firm where Dad used to do a bit of business and he believes the normal practise is to only pay out the death benefit OR the cash value, whichever is the larger of the two.

Could anyone shed any light on this for me?

Just ask Aviva. Get the ball rolling rather than asking 3rd parties.

Advertisement