Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Describing building a PC with the kids

Options
  • 03-07-2019 3:20pm

Terry Crews nails it.

Just watching something with him and he states "Building a PC, with my son, is like the new HAM radio"
    He took something he didn't have a clue about and turned it to a bonding session, with his son, as opposed to trying to get his son to like something of his.

Tech does not have to be a solitary endeavour (the encouragement people give first timers here is example of this) but that, above, is a great way to explain it to people who do not see the point of building yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"I like saving money"

^- my main reason.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    "I like saving money"

^- my main reason.

Save money now? Is it not cheaper to buy from the commercial builds?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gods no! Almost always cheaper to self build cause you're not being charged for labour and testing and it's often the difference between good and great.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Gods no! Almost always cheaper to self build cause you're not being charged for labour and testing and it's often the difference between good and great.

Not so long ago with GPU and RAM prices was not the case, thought that was still ongoing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Terry Crews nails it.

Just watching something with him and he states "Building a PC, with my son, is like the new HAM radio"
    He took something he didn't have a clue about and turned it to a bonding session, with his son, as opposed to trying to get his son to like something of his.

Tech does not have to be a solitary endeavour (the encouragement people give first timers here is example of this) but that, above, is a great way to explain it to people who do not see the point of building yourself.

He got into PC gaming to have something to do with his son but he didn't actually build a PC with him. The build was done for Crews by Youtubber Jayztwocents, who has video's of the entire build on his channel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Save money now? Is it not cheaper to buy from the commercial builds?

Cheap commercial builds often have cheap parts that people dont notice on the spec sheet, e.g. PSUs that go pop when left on for a couple of days. IMHO Self build is not only cheaper but you can end up with a way more robust build.

Cool, I've never bought a machine pre buikt so no experience there really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cool, I've never bought a machine pre buikt so no experience there really

It really depends where you buy from to be honest. One poster here was really impressed with the pre-built system they got from Overclockers I think. The thing is that for most of us here, we upgrade parts over time so the cost is never front-loaded as would be in the case of going the pre-built route.

Advertisement