Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Murders - BBC One & RTE One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

riddles wrote: »
    Sorry I started on this show - I know why they are showing two episodes back to back no way it would keep people on a eight week hourly schedule. Its complete nonsense disappointed I didnt wait for the reviews before watching it

That's a confusing statement. BBC1 show an hourly episode on Monday and another one on Tuesday. RTE1 are showing two episodes back to back, which is two hours! If it is eight episodes, that will take four weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

When is it repeated on tv. I missed it and the Player is a pain in the neck. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

That's a confusing statement. BBC1 show an hourly episode on Monday and another one on Tuesday. RTE1 are showing two episodes back to back, which is two hours! If it is eight episodes, that will take four weeks!

It's a VERY odd piece of scheduling for a TV drama and as the other poster says it's a sign that the broadcaster has no faith in the show and wants to clear it off the schedule ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Pissed off, looked good, but this crazy lexie or whoever undercover is such nonsense.

Then in some other bizarre twist she has an imaginary alter existence that seems to match her real undercover alter ego.

Like am I misunderstanding something?

That is the theory of show?

Like what the........ F

Scooby Doo on smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    When is it repeated on tv. I missed it and the Player is a pain in the neck. ☺

Think it's repeated either tomorrow or sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

I think we all know there’s no possible outcome that’ll justify what we had to watch. Thank god for sky plus and zinging forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Still Ill wrote: »
    Think he's afraid to get close to anyone after what happened to his friends all those years ago. Or sumthin.

His behaviour is im told 'romantic', love conquering all and all that.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bredabe wrote: »
    His behaviour is im told 'romantic', love conquering all and all that.

He strikes me as a bit callous in the way he treats women. The way he spoke to Cassie the day after he slept with her and taunted her about 'Lexie' was very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Bit of a plot hole that he didn't get rock hard that time he made Rosalind cry.

She was looking well too tbf before she immediately changed back to her frumpy clothes.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Bit of a plot hole that he didn't get rock hard that time he made Rosalind cry.

She was looking well too tbf before she immediately changed back to her frumpy clothes.

In his defence, he has behaved decently with Rosalind at all times at least.

He's not as nice with Cassie and Heather (his housemate / gf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

I downloaded this on rte player on the sky box to watch Wednesday's episode and it only seems to be 58 minutes long. Is there another episode not on the player?

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    I downloaded this on rte player on the sky box to watch Wednesday's episode and it only seems to be 58 minutes long. Is there another episode not on the player?

It sounds like you've downloaded only one episode : you're looking for Episodes 5 and 6 (they are listed separately on RTE Player).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

riddles wrote: »
    I think we all know there’s no possible outcome that’ll justify what we had to watch. Thank god for sky plus and zinging forward.
    It's hardly that bad, is it?!

I can't understand a lot of the criticism it's getting online. I scrolled through Twitter the other night and noticed a lot of negative commentary. Most of which was to do with the convoluted and complicated plot. TBH, I attributed most of that to peoples inability to put down their phone and actually concentrate on the show, rather than glancing up at it every so often from their phone screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I can't understand a lot of the criticism it's getting online. I scrolled through Twitter the other night and noticed a lot of negative commentary. Most of which was to do with the convoluted and complicated plot. TBH, I attributed most of that to peoples inability to put down their phone and actually concentrate on the show, rather than glancing up at it every so often from their phone screen.

yes ive found it easy enough to follow don't know how ppl are confused.ppl actually asking is Franks character an undercover guard wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Tbh I don't think it's great. I liked the first episode, but I quickly lost my suspension of disbelief.

The plot is about the murder of a girl in Wicklow. Nope, it's about whatever happened to Adam and his friends, back in the 80s.

I assumed there wasn't much of a connection between Adam and the murdered girl at first, but as the show made it increasingly clear that there was supposed to be - though other than general location I don't see how - the more the entire premise seemed to just fall to bits.

This cop just happens to be given this case? His supervisors just happen to not know that he connected with this case? As the case develops nobody makes the connection between Adam and Adam?

You've got Nidge doing some stuff, and a mad guy with paint, and all the while nobody seems all that interested in solving the case about the dead girl. Were her movements tracked? Who was she communicating with online? Who last saw her alive? Would she have passed anywhere with CCTV? What did forensics say, was there any fibres or other trace particles which may be significant? I didn't hear anybody talk about any of this. Maybe they did in later episodes but by then I had lost patience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

That knocknaree town is filmed in Northern Ireland ?

Yes, I think the small town stuff and the forest is NI and the more obvious city scenes are Dublin for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

nannerby wrote: »
    yes ive found it easy enough to follow don't know how ppl are confused.ppl actually asking is Franks character an undercover guard wtf.

Ive never looked at phone.

Its completely unrealistic and convoluted.

Anyone trying to suggest otherwise, is trying to act more clever than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think so, the houses and the school look off. There's a scene in the ballet room with the camera circling the characters and you can see some high rise buildings through the windows.

Pissed off, looked good, but this crazy lexie or whoever undercover is such nonsense.

Then in some other bizarre twist she has an imaginary alter existence that seems to match her real undercover alter ego.

Like am I misunderstanding something?

That is the theory of show?

Like what the........ F

Scooby Doo on smack.

They needed to create a fake identity for Cassie to go under.
    She named her Lexie after her imaginary twin as an inside joke.
    They paused the identity once they got the criminal she spied on; the excuse was that she moved abroad.
    A grifter looking like Cassie showed up in town and claimed the Lexie identity as her own once people started "recognising" her.
    Word got to Frank so he suspected Cassie revived Lexie for whatever reason hence his skulking around her place.
    Grifter Lexie is killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ive never looked at phone.

Its completely unrealistic and convoluted.

Anyone trying to suggest otherwise, is trying to act more clever than they are.

Ah would you give over, it's not War and Peace you're watching. Just because other people can follow it and you can't doesn't mean they're acting clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

strandroad wrote: »
    I think so, the houses and the school look off.

The row of houses is at Blackrock, Dublin, sea front. In episode one there was a scene where two characters were drinking tea and having a sandwich or something that looked like the old Blackrock baths.

The row of houses is at Blackrock, Dublin, sea front. In episode one there was a scene where two characters were drinking tea and having a sandwich or something that looked like the old Blackrock baths.

Not Blackrock, the "Knocknaree" village.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The mistake they made with this show was merging two completely separate books with two separate storylines into one TV show. And I have a theory as to why (haven't read the books so this is just a guess):
    Thinking back to the first episode and Cassie telling Adam "we won't see eachother again", it's fairly obvious that this was a flash forward to a conversation which takes place after the Knocknarea storyline is wrapped up. I'm starting to think that Adam is not a main character going forward after book one - whatever happens at the end of Into The Woods severs the connection between himself and Cassie, maybe he even gets caught and arrested for the various illegal things he's done in this investigation - and therefore that he is not in book two, The Likeness, at all. In that scenario, it makes sense that they'd merge the two stories into one so they could have the dynamic and chemistry between the actor and actress who play Adam and Cassie respectively. Furthermore, it very much seems to me that The Likeness probably just isn't as good a story, so they merged them together so that people would stick around for the Knocknarea storyline even if they found the Likeness storyline to be too far fetched.

That's my theory anyway. I feel it's very likely that Adam's character doesn't appear at all after book one, but they wanted him in the show for longer because Killian Scott is a terrific actor and has great on-screen chemistry with Sarah Green.

We'll find out on Wednesday one way or another! But even if my theory is correct, I still feel it was a mistake to merge the two stories together, it would be far, far better if they focused on one or the other, or even did an eight episode show where one mystery ends midway through and the second one begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Absolute mistake to merge the two books.

I have read them and the likeness is easily the most accessible of them. Can’t remember if your speculation is correct though. In the woods is probably the least accessible as it has undertones of supernatural events.

If they’d filmed them out of order they probably would have got them all done, but as it stands, I can’t see them getting a second season.

Each book centres of a different detective (who all have something suspect in their own personal background. The other characters drift in and out as secondary characters. Timeframe isn’t fluid so some of the investigations are going on at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've heard note than one person commenting on the fact it was obvious that the BBC were involved in DM as it was so slick but I'd disagree, Sarah Phelps has made a complete dogs dinner in merging the two books and Cassie masquerading as the dead Lexie living back with her mates was like a bad episode of Friends.

OU812 wrote: »
    Absolute mistake to merge the two books.

I have read them and the likeness is easily the most accessible of them. Can’t remember if your speculation is correct though. In the woods is probably the least accessible as it has undertones of supernatural events.

I agree that it's a mistake to film them both, you're losing the clarity of the plot and location each of them brings, and they all have enough subplots to generate good storylines. But I can also why they did it with The Likeness, with its dominating themes of identity, ideals, interlocking pasts etc., as they would be hard to externalise for the visual audience; on the surface, it's just a bunch of people cooped up in a house.
    OU812 wrote: »
    Each book centres of a different detective (who all have something suspect in their own personal background. The other characters drift in and out as secondary characters. Timeframe isn’t fluid so some of the investigations are going on at the same time.

I would welcome further seasons, one per book. I appreciate the unique settings (ghost estate in county Meath, a particular lane in Dublin 8, girls school etc) and how different detectives pass the baton in narration. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Will be so cross if we don't get answers tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I enjoyed tonight.
    Killian Scott was brilliant, it's finally coming together.

I really dislike the head policeman, though, seems like either an over actor or a poorly written part for an eager actor.
    Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

This is a farce. It’s beyond rubbish now.

Advertisement