Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Protection Insurance - how much disclosure?

• 03-07-2019 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Buying house and need MPI. Looking at the forms and figuring out what needs to be disclosed. I had 2 scans in the last 2 years (thyroid, recommended solely because my sister had issues) & ovaries (irregular periods). Everything all clear - GP knows I like to be sure about my health and recommended scans to reassure me. Anyway, I’m wondering now will it affect my MPI application? I like to be upfront & honest. Should I ring them before filling out form?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Not being smart but what ever they ask you disclose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If they get in touch with your gp he'll disclose it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's an insurance proposal, full disclosure is an explicit requirement for all such proposals.
    In the event that you withold info regarding scans, investigation or diagnosis any one attempting to cash the policy will quickly find the claim refused.

Supply the information requested, their underwriter will review and set a premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If they get in touch with your gp he'll disclose it anyway.

Are you sure? The insured would have had to give consent for this to be allowed otherwise it would be a breach of confidentiality, doctor/patient privacy, not to mention GDPR. I'm not familiar with the investigative techniques of insurers and how doctors or care-professionals respond to requests. Is there a consent section on the form?

The expectation is on the insured to be honest, as IF an insurer finds upon a claim that something relevant (being something that would alter the decision to insure, or effect the premium) has been purposefully omitted then the insurance is nullified.

OP, your treatments are unlikely to affect your insurance by anything significant. Live happy and best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Tazium wrote:
    Are you sure? The insured would have had to give consent for this to be allowed otherwise it would be a breach of confidentiality, doctor/patient privacy, not to mention GDPR. I'm not familiar with the investigative techniques of insurers and how doctors or care-professionals respond to requests. Is there a consent section on the form?

There's a declaration of consent on every application. Don't sign and good luck getting cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You mentioned everything was clear in your scans so nothing to worry about just disclose what you had scans for and mention they were clear.

Advertisement