Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conolly hospital blood tests

• 03-07-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum - I couldn’t find a general healthcare one.

I saw a consultant at Conolly hospital last week for a check up related to my long term illness. This is my first time on the Irish system having lived abroad for some time.

They said I needed to give a blood sample that needed to be early morning, so gave me the form and sent me on my way. I’m used to this abroad - normally the form has info on opening hours, where to go, what to do etc, but in this case I got home and looked at the form and there’s nothing at all, other than the clinical information about what things they want tested in the sample.

So I can’t find any information on their website, and very conflicting information elsewhere - does anyone know what the hours are and whether you can just walk in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

You can go into Connolly hospital and ask at reception to go to phlebotomy.
    The phlebotomist will know what blood tubes to take for the various tests.

There is usually a phlebotomy service in the outpatient dept where people come to have their bloods taken before their next consultant appointment.

If he said earlry a.m. I would say to go in just before 9am. Outpatient services usually begin at 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You usually queue up and wait your turn, no need for an appointment. In vin ents you take a number and they call you by that number.
    Alternatively go to your GPs nurse and she will do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm not familiar with Connolly but in St James' and Tallaght there are separate sections for consultant outpatient bloods and for GP bloods. You need an appointment (booked online) and referral form for GP bloods, but for consultant bloods you just show up and wait your turn and the tests requested are on the system. In my experience bloods start a lot earlier than 9 - St James' is 7.30am. I had a look at Connolly's website there but it's very poor with very little info compared to other hospitals. I'd say just show up around 8am and ask at reception.

Advertisement