Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda are nowhere to be seen while city center is overrun by crime and drugs

Options

Comments

tototoe wrote: »
    Ya I definitely made it up.definitely

Must have overactive imagination myself too I’m just a failed Steven Spielberg maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I don't believe all this happened to you in one condensed period of time. These threads are always full of exaggerations and lies, this post stinks of it.

In fairness, they are just 3 incidences that are fairly daily occurrences in many parts of the city.
    I had a bad experience in Paris first time I went (similar to above) and now I'd never want to go back and think in my mind it's a kip. Incidences like this impact people's thoughts of a city.
    I hope to go back someday as I know I was probably just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Add Camden Street - junky sitting on pavement every 30 metres.
    Nassau Street between Suffolk Street and Merrion Square - every 30 metres.

**** sake, earlier in the thread when I said I went to Camden St I was told it was too far Southside for junkies, now there's dozens of junkies there.

Bunch of ****ing liars and fantastists.

Before the internet we'd never heard from these idiots, now they are on every forum for every city braying and crying about how terrifying the modern world is like ****ing children. Its beyond pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The other day I saw a family of tourists taking seats plonked on the footpath outside some cafe on Bachelor's Walk and thought christ, they're in for an interesting time. And god help you if you're a smoker sitting streetside.

I won't exaggerate, it's not nearly as bad/dangerous as some people would have you believe. On the other hand, can you really blame people for being edgy around junkies? I think a bit of edginess is prudent. Some of these people are predatory and will rob you if they think they'll get away with it. Doesn't exactly make for a pleasant experience in town.

I do think though that just saying we should move them out somewhere away from the city centre is not very realistic and strikes me as kind of NIMBY-ish. A bit of compassion wouldn't go amiss. At the end of the day these are human beings in a very bad place in their lives, not simply inconvenient obstacles to be pushed out of sight for convenience's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There's another one on r/Dublin of a guy getting his head kicked in on the Luas after he tried to stab someone. It's pretty fúcked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

vriesmays wrote: »
    There's a foreign woman with no nose kneeling and begging in O'Connell St every day.

I saw a guy in Athens with half a head. Seriously, no fooling.

There's another one on r/Dublin of a guy getting his head kicked in on the Luas after he tried to stab someone. It's pretty fúcked up.

Had the misfortune of seeing that too. We are a rough old bunch the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Ballso wrote: »

Before the internet we'd never heard from these idiots, now they are on every forum for every city braying and crying about how terrifying the modern world is like ****ing children. Its beyond pathetic

Actually before the Internet a lot of this stuff was hidden and not reported.

Finally we have a platform. Not an ideal one, but at least a platform. Our judicial system is an absolute farce. This week we read of a woman out on bail again with OVER 600 convictions. A total menace.

We know for fact the criminal stats are well massaged.

Count yourself lucky if you have not been a victim of crime.

I have and was / am very shaken. Your senseless misguided and misinformed defence stance is downright irresponsible.

Standman wrote: »
    At the end of the day these are human beings in a very bad place in their lives, not simply inconvenient obstacles to be pushed out of sight for convenience's sake.

theyre both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Most of the junkies and the like are harmless, but they certainly give a rough feel to the place.
    Junkies shooting up in broad daylight is something that is seen very often and it's just accepted.

It's just the level of tolerance to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    And the cop at the GPO isn't allowed move from the GPO. I've been told that on a couple of occasions by different Gardai.

Why does the GPO need to be protected?

markodaly wrote: »
    Most of the junkies and the like are harmless, but they certainly give a rough feel to the place.
    Junkies shooting up in broad daylight is something that is seen very often and it's just accepted.

It's just the level of tolerance to the problem.

They don't bother me any more, I just feel sorry for them, there but for the grace of god go I etc.
    They are a product of our society though, our country as a whole. To sort it out you'd need to get to the roots of the problems in poorer communities in Dublin, of which there are many, and we don't seem to be good at doing things like that.

Why does the GPO need to be protected?

It's full of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A normal day in the city centre, no need to blame the 'spoons. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They don't bother me any more, I just feel sorry for them, there but for the grace of god go I etc.
    They are a product of our society though, our country as a whole. To sort it out you'd need to get to the roots of the problems in poorer communities in Dublin, of which there are many, and we don't seem to be good at doing things like that.

Yes, I would not want to see them sent off to camps or anything. It is a health issue at the end of the day. But having them roam around the city freely, with impunity is not great for the look of the city.

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, I would not want to see them sent off to camps or anything. It is a health issue at the end of the day. But having them roam around the city freely, with impunity is not great for the look of the city.

A lot of them live in town though, Dominic St, Sherriff St etc, so it's kind of like their back yard. The inner city communities are rife with heroin. It's scary how many people you see if you cycle through Summerhill or somewhere like that with the heroin face, often with kids.

It's the same around Thomas Street, Oliver Bond Flats etc. but I don't think it's heroin that is the major problem now, its crack and benzos.

Lux23 wrote: »
    It's the same around Thomas Street, Oliver Bond Flats etc. but I don't think it's heroin that is the major problem now, its crack and benzos.

Pretty much every heroin addict is also a benzo addict, they are supposed to be even harder to get off than the big H

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a foreign woman with no nose kneeling and begging in O'Connell St every day.

How does she smell?

How does she smell?

astonishing post from the fella who calfed for seventy five pages at a dwarf joke last month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

retalivity wrote: »
    Ive seen the same woman begging and crying at the phonebox outside eurogiant on stephens green for about 4 years now. Most of the lads wandering around looking for 'a euro for de bus' have nicer shoes than me.
    Free reign to do what they want

This the one who shouts "Excuse me"? If so, I've seen her around Dublin for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

**** sake, earlier in the thread when I said I went to Camden St I was told it was too far Southside for junkies, now there's dozens of junkies there.

Bunch of ****ing liars and fantastists.

Mod: do not post in this thread again. Do not respond to this post on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's not being done to shame Government, it's being done to help the needy, there are more needy near the GPO.

And calling somebody that does this a dope just shows what a complete wankrag you are

Needy as in addicts, mental health issues, non-nationals refusing to return home. None of them grew up near the GPO. Why can't they be helped away from our main street. It's all about do-gooders showing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Spent Friday evening and most of Saturday in the city center. Camden St, Wexford St, Georges St, Wicklow St, Exchequer, South Anne, Dawson, Iveagh Gardens, Dame Lane, Dame St areas. Again didn't notice any junkies or encounter any anti social behaviour, just people in good form enjoying the city. Met an American group outside a pub on Dame St, was their fourth time in Dublin, they were raving about the place. Went to a beer festival on the Saturday, everyone was super relaxed and well behaved.

Weird for a city supposedly overrun with drugs and crime.

I'm looking to buy a good set of blinkers for our horse,where did you buy yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Needy as in addicts, mental health issues, non-nationals refusing to return home. None of them grew up near the GPO. Why can't they be helped away from our main street. It's all about do-gooders showing off.

Would you ever get a grip of yourself.

I don't work with the people that are at the GPO but I do work with a rough sleeper team and assist people who sleep rough. You seem to have a really skewed sense of reality or have lived a completely sheltered life. People are on the streets for many reasons, I'm not going to give you them because it's not my place but addicts make up less than 50% of the rough sleepers I meet. Are you suggesting those out helping the needy go somewhere they won't be found?

My previous statement about you still stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I cringe thinking of tourists walking along the liffey boardwalk and what they must think of our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Guards are too busy in there station doing all the accountability paperwork that the public and government are demanding of them... rather than doing real police work and stopping crime. We(the public) can't criticise them after moaning for more accountability and oversight, we can't have our cake and eat it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Guards are too busy in there station doing all the accountability paperwork that the public and government are demanding of them... rather than doing real police work and stopping crime. We(the public) can't criticise them after moaning for more accountability and oversight, we can't have our cake and eat it too

Yes.
    Yes you can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement