Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports direct!

Options
  • 04-07-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

I made a mistake, didn't know I'm buying from them on eBay, but it happened and I only realised when I got the receipt.

Anyway, long story short:

Bought runners and got them delivered last week. Put them on and ran/walked for 4km in them. That's it, nothing else.

When I took them off, I noticed that the edge of the heel on the sole is worn. The sole is from some cheap material. It was worm significantly considering I only did 4km in them. They would probably last 200km max I'd say.

So I took pictures, messaged the seller saying the sole is made from some cheap material and it's just simply bad.

They messaged me back saying:

"Item looks like its been misused on a treadmill not an actual fault with the item. Sorry as they have been used we cannot accept back.

Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused."

First of all I never said I ran in them on a treadmill. I don't know where they got this from. And second, how do you misuse shoes??? I put them on
    , tightened the laces and that's it. Ran like anybody else.

What a bunch of bastards. Unbelievable. Of course they don't want them back because they have to be shipped again and that costs money.

What do I do now? They didn't reply to my message and that's where I am stuck now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you bought on eBay, you can raise a dispute with eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You can also try a chargeback on the card you paid with if all else fails.

I found ebay and paypal worse then useless recently when I had an issue.

The chargeback worked in the end though..

That said, I wouldn't want to buy a pair of runners that someone ran 4k in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

What a ridiculous reply they gave you fkin hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I swear if I would live in the UK I would just get in the car, drive to their HQ and DESTROY the place.

Here's the options I have on PayPal:

2019-07-04-10-47-35.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Here's the options I have on PayPal:

2019-07-04-10-47-35.jpg

Id go with the last one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/apr/28/the-secrets-of-sports-direct-review

"Sports Direct actually owns a lot of sporting brands – including Slazenger, Donnay, Everlast, Dunlop and Karrimor – so they can slap those logos on anything they like"

So that explains the Everlast runners lasting only 4km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lodge a dispute through paypal although I don't fancy your chances considering you admitted you walked 4km in them. What's to say that you aren't 200kg weight and caused the damage yourself....or you have malformed feet and drag your heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What did you expect them to say? Did you not notice the wear before you tried them on. You then put them on and went for a run!!! They will only accept returns that are in a re-saleable condition. How could they possibly sell those? It would be like trying to sell a pair of used underpants.Be sure to study the terms and conditions before making any similar type of purchase in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I bought a waterproof pair of Karrimor hiking shoes for a trip to Poland one year, we were heading when there had been some light snow. Stepped out of whatever building we were in, foot down and it was instantly wet. Had to go to a local store and purchase a pair of waterproof shoes there.

I know it was only one incident but it made me resolve to never buy the brand again and be very wary of buying anything from Sports Direct again.

Do a charge back OP as the item was not as described and/or fit for purpose.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    What did you expect them to say? Did you not notice the wear before you tried them on. You then put them on and went for a run!!! They will only accept returns that are in a re-saleable condition. How could they possibly sell those? It would be like trying to sell a pair of used underpants.Be sure to study the terms and conditions before making any similar type of purchase in future.

Anyone would reasonably expect a pair of runners not to fall apart after one run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/apr/28/the-secrets-of-sports-direct-review

"Sports Direct actually owns a lot of sporting brands – including Slazenger, Donnay, Everlast, Dunlop and Karrimor – so they can slap those logos on anything they like"

So that explains the Everlast runners lasting only 4km.

Also the main brands like Adidas and Nike release a lot of cheaper made stuff to Sports Direct, you can see/feel the quality difference between them and the likes of JD. The only thing I buy from SD is socks.

The issue is the quality here, not that I used them..

Did you read what I said above??? It's not normal for brand new shoes to wear so quickly. The material is the problem here..do I have to explain this like I would to a bunch of 5 year olds?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Diabhalta wrote:

Diabhalta wrote:
    Did you read what I said above??? It's not normal for brand new shoes to wear so quickly. The material is the problem here..do I have to explain this like I would to a bunch of 5 year olds?????

You get what you pay for. It's a cheap brand. Running or walking even short distances will create some wear on all types of footwear. It would be a different matter if the sole had become detached from the upper or had split completely open - that would be reasonable grounds for claiming a refund. As it is, I think you have no case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If they're not fit for purpose, pursue it as so. Start a paypal claim or do a charge back. These options have already been provided.

Also the tone of your posts is going to quickly turn people away from wanting to offer assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

See with some brands such as everlast their quality is hit and miss depending on how much you spend Payless get less quality , pay more get better quality .

When your looking at 20-€30 trainers I'd wouldn't be expected much in quality and longevity,

But open a PayPal dispute with eBay and see what happens

Well the wear is much more than I would expect even from cheap trainers. They should last more than 6 months I'd say. The wear is quite significant considering I ran only 4km. Wouldn't last more than 100 I'd say.

Opened a claim with PayPal and few hours later I got a message from them on eBay saying they will review the case.

I sent them back and I'm waiting for a refund. Anything can happen, this is sports direct, one of the worst companies to deal with.

2019-07-10-20-41-55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

..., one of the worst companies to deal with.

Add to that, they use Fastway for deliveries, possibly the worst courier company to ever exist. A match made in heaven.

I refuse to have online/offline dealings with either company now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I swear if I would live in the UK I would just get in the car, drive to their HQ and DESTROY the place.
    At least

Got a full refund today! Sports direct, never more!

Btw. You can claim postage costs via Paypal. Up to 30 euro and maximum 12x claims in one year. You just send them a receipt and a picture of the packet and they will send your the money. I don't know how they do that but it's handy. The postage was 15.5e for those shoes I sent back (ParcelMotel) and I got all the money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Delighted for you - I won’t buy a thing from sports direct - I couldn’t take the chance - their customer service is ridiculously bad as well

Advertisement