Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismantling schematics for Canon 1200D?

Options
  • 04-07-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭

Paying a Canon service centre to "have a look" will cost 4-10 times what the camera's worth :eek: so I want to take the top off myself to confirm or refute a suspicion (problem with the focusing dots being fuzzy and out of alignment, and no, it's not the focus screen and it's not the diopter setting ;)).

Ideally, I'd like to have a diagram for reference, but google hasn't yet given me what I'm asking for. Anyone know a site where this info can be downloaded? Alternatively, step-by-step instructions to for getting to the source of the red light. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:eek: OOOoookay ... that looks like more than a short afternoon's work! But might explain why the "have a look" fee is so expensive.

In both videos, though, they're working at the opposite end of the camera to where I need to go (under the flash for me), so I'm not entirely sure whether I'd need to do all that deconstruction first ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

GBX wrote: »

Getting closer with that one, thanks. A couple of the tutorials have the top coming off as step 12. An awful lot of ribbon cables to disconnect and re-connect though. :( Don't mind doing that on a computer where there's room to manoeuvre inside the case and I have a box full of scavenged spare parts; not sure I want to go down that road in the confined space of a camera body, though, when the camera is otherwise doing what it's asked.

For context: the (only) problem is that I can no longer see a nice sharp red dot on the focusing screen after something happened during an on-the-go cleaning of the mirror a couple of years ago. I've since been working through various possible explanations (and picking the brains of service centre personnel if I happen to be passing during opening hours). In the meantime, I've adopted the old fashioned technique of letting the camera use a fixed centre point for focusing and exposure calculations, and reframing the picture with a half-pressed shutter release button ... not a huge inconvenience, but it is mildly annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Reassembling any DSLR is a total bastard of a job. For a 1200D I'd just use and abuse it until its time to replace it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement