Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion Square

Options
  • 04-07-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be a long running plan to turn Merrion Square into a lawn. A significant percentage of the trees have been cut away, and most of the flower beds removed. Just wondering what the logic or reason for it is? I can't find any plan or details about it online. Just think it's really taken away from the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

They remove the flower beds all the time. My guess is they were taken up so they wouldn't be destroyed during Pride and the City Spectacular (12-14 July) and they'll be back after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Just bumping this question again. The square has been cut right back, and is mostly just grass now.

Presume this is a plan by DCC, but I'm curious about why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Why not go to the horse's mouth? Merrion Square Park

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

They have cut back some of the bushes and shrubs but they haven't removed any of the mature trees (of which there are not many anyway). I think it might just feel like it is a lot more open because you are now able to see more clearly into the park. They had some underground sewage pipe works a few years ago when they dug up half the park but they have since finished.

I think the general purpose of any updated landscaping is to make it more of a public space where events can be held as opposed to more of a memorial garden that doesn't really get much use by the general public. They are always aiming to keep mature trees though but probably more so around the perimeter with the centre more of an open ground space.

They intend on doing a more formal version of the same with Mountjoy Square to bring it back more towards a proper Georgian garden square. Hopefully they make more of an effort with Parnell Square in the future as well. It would be nice to see the hospital moved to a more modern site and more of the square given over to a public park again as was intended when it was built. They could also integrate the garden of remembrance into it and include it as part of the works on the Hugh Lane gallery plaza area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I like what they have done with Merrion square. It feels a lot more welcoming with the wide open spaces. The kids love the place.. we pretty much go every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

roycon111 wrote: »
    They have cut back some of the bushes and shrubs but they haven't removed any of the mature trees (of which there are not many anyway). I think it might just feel like it is a lot more open because you are now able to see more clearly into the park. They had some underground sewage pipe works a few years ago when they dug up half the park but they have since finished.

I think the general purpose of any updated landscaping is to make it more of a public space where events can be held as opposed to more of a memorial garden that doesn't really get much use by the general public. They are always aiming to keep mature trees though but probably more so around the perimeter with the centre more of an open ground space.

They intend on doing a more formal version of the same with Mountjoy Square to bring it back more towards a proper Georgian garden square. Hopefully they make more of an effort with Parnell Square in the future as well. It would be nice to see the hospital moved to a more modern site and more of the square given over to a public park again as was intended when it was built. They could also integrate the garden of remembrance into it and include it as part of the works on the Hugh Lane gallery plaza area

THe Rotunda will eventually move to Connolly Hospital inBlanchardstown. It will be interesting to see how tyhe site can be repurposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

I've noticed the same thing in Herbert Park. When it was first done to Merrion Square, I was aghast - I think it was winter and the whole place seemed emaciated. And one of what had been my favourite places in the park - a secluded area on the Mount Street side - had been denuded. I've since changed my mind and, on summer days, it's really beautiful looking through the trees at the undulating ground. But Herbert Park remains a travesty. They've removed the line of tall bushes separating the long, narrow pond from the cherry blossom-lined path and grass area. It just seems incoherent now and without any privacy.

Advertisement