Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parts prices shock

• 04-07-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭

I need a new Car Aerial Replacement Mast as the one I have is splitting etc

Look online at UK place I used before for an aerial base and price is good, but then postage the same price of item

Go have a look at usual
    Halfords 12
    Parts for cars, 12.30 (six years ago was 4, I know inflation etc, but thats some jump)

Never thought id see the day Halfords be cheaper for parts and no doubt like the employee ill be told quality not as good etc in halfords

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

jeffk wrote: »
    I need a new Car Aerial Replacement Mast as the one I have is splitting etc

Look online at UK place I used before for an aerial base and price is good, but then postage the same price of item

Go have a look at usual
    Halfords 12
    Parts for cars, 12.30 (six years ago was 4, I know inflation etc, but thats some jump)

Never thought id see the day Halfords be cheaper for parts and no doubt like the employee ill be told quality not as good etc in halfords
    Breaker's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

You mustn't buy much in Ireland if 12 quid shocks you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

vandriver wrote: »
    You mustn't buy much in Ireland if 12 quid shocks you.
    6 pringles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

It's like a rubber material so not worth chancing breakers

The issue I have is how a part can go from 4 to almost 13 in a few years, by ruffling working inflation it should be up to 6 tops

Halfords dropped 2 euro in that time

If i get it from UK its about 2 euro saving and a week wait, so not worth it

Is more the shock of parts for cars being so dear and brushing off the facts of a product tripppling in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I opened this thread expecting a massive bill for engine parts, not a complaint over a €12 aerial.

• Advertisement

I opened this thread expecting a massive bill for engine parts, not a complaint over a €12 aerial.

Well if they're tripppling the price of an aerial I'm sure they're upping engine parts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

How do you know it was €4 six year ago?

How do you know it was €4 six year ago?

I got one for my old car and was promoting the place on facebook by saying its 4 there and 14 in halfords

I got one for my old car and was promoting the place on facebook by saying its 4 there and 14 in halfords

You should have bought 2 back then and you wouldn't be in this conundrum...

You should have bought 2 back then and you wouldn't be in this conundrum...

I won't insert a joke about the netflix show Dark incase it's a spoiler for some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

I don’t think I would remember the cost of €4 part six years later

I won't insert a joke about the netflix show Dark incase it's a spoiler for some

Not a spoiler for me anyway, sounds kinda niche, too busy price checking magic trees from 2011 to be watching stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Badger2009 wrote: »
    I don’t think I would remember the cost of €4 part six years later

OP must be a Cavan man #neverforgetprices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

do ya want a gofundme set up:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

So what's your complaint then. Halford dropped the price by 2€ in 6 years, not raised it. If you want the cheaper one, you should have gone to the other place.

You could possibly ring the parts counters around the Ireland. Also, maybe a part from a different make would fit: You could then widen the search to many more parts counters in Ireland.

If yours is say a Nissan it's very likely that a Renault part would also fit. Just spend next month going around carparks to see which models of cars might have the similar part and you could then find out which make and model and dealer combination will result in best saving.

Imagine if you got the part for say 7 EUR. Would definitely be worth it expecially if you found it locally.

PS. Crazy advice about buying two. You could invest the money instead as it's not guaranteed that you'd ever use the 2nd part.

samih wrote: »

PS. Crazy advice about buying two. You could invest the money instead as it's not guaranteed that you'd ever use the 2nd part.

Not crazy at all, sure if your €4 investment went flop you'd be down that €4 + the €12 for the new antenna so it would be costing you €16 for it in the end, sure you'd be better off getting the coat hanger out at that like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Not crazy at all, sure if your €4 investment went flop you'd be down that €4 + the €12 for the new antenna so it would be costing you €16 for it in the end, sure you'd be better off getting the coat hanger out at that like.

Depends on the cost of coat hangers though, they're 176% more expensive than they were in 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

so different car (different model ?) different price shock ?

im shocked at the price of parts for my new kia compared to replacing points and waterpump on my old 88 corolla

Depends on the cost of coat hangers though, they're 176% more expensive than they were in 2004.

It's all fcuked so, ye may stick with the podcasts OP

• Advertisement

Gottta love boards

Everyone's a comedian

But when you're looking for actual help you get little to no replies

Least we can all have a laugh a joke and enter the weekend in good form :cool:

Gottta love boards

Everyone's a comedian

But when you're looking for actual help you get little to no replies

Least we can all have a laugh a joke and enter the weekend in good form :cool:

I'm generally not funny at all as you can see from my low-brow efforts in this thread.

I do want to wish you a wonderful weekend now though, enjoy :)

Advertisement