Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-social behavior out of control [Castlebar]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

I am calling it here and now - It's anti Traveller prejudice. They are bored young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »
    I am calling it here and now - It's anti Traveller prejudice. They are bored young lads.
    One wonders what age they left school at? Do they have the education to get a job? Probably not but they have no interest in getting one regardless. It's not a social issue. They have to want to help themselves.

Bar it's far easier to blame everyone else for their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irishgeo wrote: »
    One wonders what age they left school at? Do they have the education to get a job? Probably not but they have no interest in getting one regardless. It's not a social issue. They have to want to help themselves.

Bar it's far easier to blame everyone else for their problems.

Many of us older folk advocate some form of the old national service. It gave a basis of structure to life and a discipline that these young folk do not seem to have

we taught it in schools in times past but does not seem so now? These things have to be taught, just like eg table manners!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Many of us older folk advocate some form of the old national service. It gave a basis of structure to life and a discipline that these young folk do not seem to have

we taught it in schools in times past but does not seem so now? These things have to be taught, just like eg table manners!

i would be for it myself, It would also teach them some discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bored ?

Gaa, Soccer, Rugby, Hurling, Tennis, Basketball ,Golf, Driving range, swimming pool, Library ,Drama societies, Music societies, Linenhall centre, Walking and hiking.

Thats just off the top of my head.

We also have virtually full employment can they not find a part time job somewhere ?

Bored ? Bull**** !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

i would be for it myself, It would also teach them some discipline.

exactly. Is or was a scheme in the Uk whereby the army took on offenders...it was featured on a TV series, " The world;s strictest parents" where out of control kids are sent to families in other countries. worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Xenji wrote: »
    There is a public meeting with the Superintendent upstairs in Bridge St. on the 15th of July for people and businesses to express concerns, I know quite a few retail workers in town who have said intimidation and anti social behavior has increased tenfold in the last year or so.

Personally I would have to say in the last 12 months there has definitely been a marked increase in these groups, anti social behavior and blatant law breaking.

It is not just a certain element either, I have mentioned it before but at the old boxing club over Christmas after dark it was nearly a no go zone, because the Foróige service had been closed over the Christmas break the area had no lighting and you had groups of about 10-20 people were congregating there, these were not people moved into the area nor travellers, they were locals and all about 15-18.

Does anyone know if anything came out of this meeting on the 15th..?
    There was a similar problem a few years back in the town I grew up in. A gang of younger lads causing trouble around the town. Then they started beating up random people as they left the pubs or were walking home alone. There was the usual uproar but nothing done about them until they tackled someone one night. A group gathered together and decided to beat them to within an inch of their lives. I think the gang were eventually separated through court cases, sentences etc. I haven't heard a thing about them since..It was the correct way to deal with them as the guards didn't scare them..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

There was a large turn out for it, but nothing really has came from it yet as the joint policing committee will not be ready to meet till September at the earliest.

A request was also made to the Justice minister for funding for a community CCTV system by a member of Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

UsBus wrote: »
    There was a similar problem a few years back in the town I grew up in. A gang of younger lads causing trouble around the town. Then they started beating up random people as they left the pubs or were walking home alone. There was the usual uproar but nothing done about them until they tackled someone one night. A group gathered together and decided to beat them to within an inch of their lives. I think the gang were eventually separated through court cases, sentences etc. I haven't heard a thing about them since..It was the correct way to deal with them as the guards didn't scare them..

Vigilante groups are not the answer here and never the answer. If we are dealing with the particular group I am thinking of it will only escalate further with retaliation. This group has been around the town for years as little lads, teenagers and now as adults. This should have been dealt with when they were younger but it was left fester as they were only kids. Now they are fully grown adults who are seriously intimating. Intervening with violence wont solve anything as much as we would like it to.

UsBus wrote: »

i would never advocate this type of vigilante behaviour, no matter how effective and satisfying it might be.......

• Advertisement

This whole thing is blown out of proportion mixed with prejudice. These are basically young men with nothing to do.
    This is not a policing or justice matter its a social matter. These lads need to be put to work.
    They have nothing to do - nobody will give them jobs - what hope have they ?

Bollocks.

I remember being bored out of my mind some summers, my friends and I made the best of it - it never occurred to us to go around beating people up and intimidating them for the craic (and we hadn’t internet either).

These are just scums. Plain and simple.

There was a large turn out for it, but nothing really has came from it yet as the joint policing committee will not be ready to meet till September at the earliest.

A request was also made to the Justice minister for funding for a community CCTV system by a member of Fine Gael.
    The town has a CCTV system.

The town has a CCTV system.

As far as I can tell this would be operated independently of the current system and the Guards and a detailed plan of where and why the cameras are needed would have to be submitted.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Community-Based-CCTV

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As far as I can tell this would be operated independently of the current system and the Guards...
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

This whole thing is blown out of proportion mixed with prejudice. These are basically young men with nothing to do.
    This is not a policing or justice matter its a social matter. These lads need to be put to work.

What a load of utter tripe and part of the problem. Plenty of opportunities but we pay them to sit on their holes so we are also responsible. Government are afraid to tackle it as they've no balls to tackle anything hard.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why?

I don't know, to be honest I never actually heard about the scheme till I saw it mentioned on the Connaught and gave the information on the Dept of Justice a quick scan.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't know, to be honest I never actually heard about the scheme till I saw it mentioned on the Connaught and gave the information on the Dept of Justice a quick scan.

I can understand the value of such a scheme in (say) a village without a continuous Garda presence. I'm at a loss as to the point of such a thing in a town that has 24-hour policing and an existing CCTV system.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I can understand the value of such a scheme in (say) a village without a continuous Garda presence. I'm at a loss as to the point of such a thing in a town that has 24-hour policing and an existing CCTV system.

and the position of one on main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

While i largely agree with you, once these people start intimidating other people going about their daily business then it certainly becomes a policing and justice matter. By the way what difference will CCTV make? I doubt sure these lads give a toss either way

There was also a gang of lads around tle late 90s/early 00s who were at this kind of craic. Always beating up other lads, usually when other lads were alone. They broke a lot of noses, all had sob stories.

But all eventually ended up in prison. Took too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Someone here excusing Intimidation and thuggery due to these thugs not having a job....many of these thugs are travellers who refuse to work ...getting welfare too handy and Welfare people never bother travellers to go get a job etc .....
    Castlebars finest Enda Kenny gave them special ethnic rights ie Welfare for life!

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Someone here excusing Intimidation and thuggery due to these thugs not having a job....many of these thugs are travellers who refuse to work ...getting welfare too handy and Welfare people never bother travellers to go get a job etc .....
    Castlebars finest Enda Kenny gave them special ethnic rights ie Welfare for life!
    The courts systems believe any sob story going too. 75 previous convictions. Oh I'm sorry judge I had a tough upbringing and a drink/drug problem. Judge ok then suspended sentence.

Advertisement