Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone scam uk number 44 7098 xxxxxxx

Options
  • 04-07-2019 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭

Have had two calls today from slightly different numbers, wife had call yesterday.

We both have similar mobile numbers as bought at same time (years ago)

All calls were from +44 70 98700xx - only difference was last two digits

Looks like a UK number but +447 is international forwarding number.

It's been going on years, but very strange for both of us to get similar calls within a day let alone two in a day.

Many people will be aware of it, but many will not, so just be wary that it may be ramping up again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

Daughter and other half got them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's still a UK number, it's just that they sell personalised numbers in the 7xxxx range. It is not possible for a country code to start with another country code, e.g. because North America is 1 there can't be a +11.

Can't judge costs from a country code unfortunately and this is just an extra sneaky way of lulling people in to false security

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Block the number on your phone so they won’t bother you again.

You can do this on an iPhone by going to Recents and clicking the “i” symbol. Scroll down and select “block this caller”.

I don’t know how to do it on android phones, but it must be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got one today. Reported as spam and blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Myself and wife got 1 call each today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I got one too. Wasn't going to answer it anyway but I googled it because I was at a computer at the time.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

On android if you go into your calls list and press the info icon beside the number, it gives you the option to block, and also to report it as spam/fraud etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I got one today. Presumably they want a call back to scam you?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I was getting the same too all day, a quick Google search of the number returns this site based in South Africa:
    https://www.electrobella.com/

No idea where they got my number from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

+1 just now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Just missed a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should send out helicopter gunships out to level the huts these clowns operate from.

#mealso

Obviously ramping up some campaign. And be aware, iPhone treats this number as a UK country call so you’re more than likely to answer it (I didn’t) if you’re used to getting UK related calls. Usually it’s a West African or Congo or other far flung country which you’re more likely to treat with suspicion

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

#mealso

Obviously ramping up some campaign. And be aware, iPhone treats this number as a UK country call so you’re more than likely to answer it (I didn’t) if you’re used to getting UK related calls. Usually it’s a West African or Congo or other far flung country which you’re more likely to treat with suspicion

Because it is a UK call - its just not one priced vaguely like you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I googled it and it's a Viber call that hangs up when you answer, apparently. Was called at about 4:50pm today, I use the Vodafone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got one yesterday too. Found the number on a site marking it as a scam. Apparently it counts on you treating it as a missed call and calling back at a high call rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

They called me on Viber around 7pm yesterday & then when I didn't pick up, my phone rang. Thought it was a scam alright

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Getting the same yesterday to my own phone and my work phone all day too. Slight difference in numbers tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Got a call from these baxtards a few weeks ago. I was expecting a call from the UK so I answered it, they had my name which was the worrying part.

Really noisy, then an Indian accent saying, "hello, is that <my first name>?" then hung up, obviously hoping I'd call back and get stung.

Reported it via Google but I presume these guys have an unlimited supply of different phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Darc19 wrote:
    Looks like a UK number but +447 is international forwarding number.

All UK mobiles start with +44 7, like Ireland +353 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What you are looking for is +4470 or +4476

That means a personal number or pager number and will be €€€€€€€€.

Any other number after 7 is a regular UK mobile.

+447 as an international country code does not exist.

Edited to add in 076

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What you are looking for is +4470

That means a personal number and will be €€€€€€€€.

Any other number after 7 is a regular UK mobile.

+447 as an international country code does not exist

I have checked into this just for interest.

The 70xxxx are non geographical numbers that are primarily used for international forwarding.
    71xxxx and others are non geographic numbers that terminate in the uk.

The scam is to try and get you to part with money / bank details, so it's not the cost of the phone call, but the usual tax refund, Nigerian prince, sick relative or some similar form.

Advertisement