Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City Break / 5 day holiday

• 04-07-2019 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi,

We’re looking to do a city break / holiday this August for 4-6 days. I’m conscious it’s fairly last minute and we’re on a smallish budget too (preferably €400 each). We went to Lisbon last year and loved it. It was the perfect mix of a city break but with beach towns within 30 mins away. We’d love something like it.

So far, we’ve came across Porto, Nice, Barcelona as price friendly destinations with outside options such as a week in Catania for 500 or Sorrento at a push for 550. Nice has took my fancy but a couple of people have told us it’s quiet quiet and boring, and Porto seems like a smaller Lisbon. Anyone recommend any others or have advice on the other 3? We’re looking for things to see and visit, nice beaches or coastline and plenty of food and drink.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dubrovnik is wonderful and the coast is stunning . Trips to the islands are fab and a water taxi to Cavtat is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I did not find Nice boring at all. It is a city not a resort, so always busy.
    Plus there are several day trip options by either bus or train (I was there only 2 nights, so sadly did not have time for day trips).

Another option would be Malta; stay in Valletta - or Sliema which is where locals live and not a resort.

Another great spot is Palma in Majorca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah Nice.

Lots of stuff to do and you can hop on the train and go to Monaco or over to Italy.
    Get a local bus and visit beautiful little villages...St Paul de Vence, Tourrettes Sur Loup, Grasse etc.

Flights are usually cheap and the bus is €1.50 from the airport into the centre. Actually their version of the luas must be running now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Dubrovnik is wonderful and the coast is stunning . Trips to the islands are fab and a water taxi to Cavtat is great

Guy in my job is just back and said it was very expensive there

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've been to Porto, Nice and Barcelona. Porto is fantastic and is nicer break than Lisbon in my opinion. I didn't find them overly similar anyway. Nice is great as well, far from boring. There are some lovely towns nearby which are easily accessible by train. Monaco is very nearby also. There's good Italian food in Nice with Italy being so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Dubrovnik can get very packed when the cruise ships land in. The crowds just swarm around the sights. There are some lovely day trips out to Kotor and Budva in Montenegro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

messrs wrote: »
    Guy in my job is just back and said it was very expensive there

We went 8 years ago and it wasn’t expensive then .And no cruise ships then so I am glad we got there before that happened !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Thanks all. Choice now between Porto and Nice, probably leaning towards Porto tbh.

Dubrovnik and Malta great shouts which we've looked at but unfortunately the flights just come in too dear for short trips - Ryanair seem reasonable on flights going out but just too much money on the return flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Biarritz. Ryanair fly into it. Decent Pierre Vacance apts. Close to the Pyrennes and Spanish border. Located on the coast with good weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you are on a tight budget Porto trumps Nice hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I loved Porto, it wasn't expensive but I was there in 2011 so not sure if that's changed. A visit to the port lodges is a must.

Advertisement