Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hozelock suitable for use all year round

Options
  • 04-07-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Are hozelock fittings and pipes ok to be left pressurized to mains pressure all summer long and just use the spray end to turn on and off.

I wanted to leave it handy for elderly neighbour to water his garden and his gap is in a damn awkward place. Easier if I just get him a decent hoze and spray end.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

G-Man wrote: »
    Are hozelock fittings and pipes ok to be left pressurized to mains pressure all summer long and just use the spray end to turn on and off.

I wanted to leave it handy for elderly neighbour to water his garden and his gap is in a damn awkward place. Easier if I just get him a decent hoze and spray end.

Not really in my experience for the plastic ones. They leak a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if the fittings became detached if left under pressure for extended periods.

I see you can also get metal ones which might suit the bill a bit better; https://www.ie.screwfix.com/brass-hose-fitting-set-4-pieces-4-pcs.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i suspect that if you left the hose pressurised constantly it'd stretch over time and pop off the fitting, i've had this happen with an old tired hose often.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have hozelock style fittings on my timer system and they seem to work fine without any leaks, but I've only had them in place a couple of months.

Advertisement