Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a franchise - UK company

Options
  • 04-07-2019 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am looking to buy a franchise and the company is currently only operating in the UK - this would be their first franchise outside of the UK.
    Would there be any problems with working with a UK company especially with Brexit looming?
    I also live near the border and there is a possibility for cross border work (the business is field work not restricted to an office/certain premises) but again I'm not sure how that works and if it is possible to do.
    The franchiser seems confident that this will all be fine but I am having doubts.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, it is for you to determine before you hand over your money. There is no consumer protection for franchisees. You have to do your own 'due diligence'.

The bigger question in my mind is what marketing is this company going to put behind the Irish market? The benefit of a franchise is really lead generation and brand recognition.

If there is a 'hard' brexit you won't have any particular right to provide services in Northern Ireland as an Irish person. I am very much telling you the worst possible scenario here, and I hope it will not turn out this bad, but no service business can assume they can continue cross-border business unimpeded.

Is there some local advisor that you could consult? A local accountant perhaps who knows what local companies are facing similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

not enough info about your franchise , but I cannot see anyone , except your Franchise Salesperson , thinking it is a good idea right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 felandere

I can't speak from personal experience with cross-border work, but I'd recommend doing some research on the legal and tax implications, given your location near the border. Maybe consult with a local business advisor or attorney who can give you insights into how that might work.

Advertisement