Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick trip with a 18m old

• 05-07-2019 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    Don't have a car, which really limits places we can adventure to! Thinking of a day trip to Limerick, or even a night away.. anyone suggest things to do or places to go and stay that won't mean loads more public transport (would come on train from Galway). Mum, dad and 18m old in a sling!
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

The Peoples Park - great playground, lovely park for a short stroll, free art gallery, nice cafe for lunch.

Walk the riverbank out to UL, very beautiful. The UL campus is amazing and has loads of interesting buildings, and cafes (most are closed on weekends).

Visit the milk market on a saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The Peoples Park - great playground, lovely park for a short stroll, free art gallery, nice cafe for lunch.

Walk the riverbank out to UL, very beautiful. The UL campus is amazing and has loads of interesting buildings, and cafes (most are closed on weekends).

Visit the milk market on a saturday morning

Amazing. All doable with no car after getting into the train station you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The walk to UL via the river path is a bit far. It's a few km in each direction and the initial part is less scenic bit (along a canal as opposed to the Shannon River).

The Milk Market is lively and very enjoyable on a Saturday morning (10am - 1pm is best).

The Hunt Museum is good, if you're into art and antiquities, but I doubt the 18 month old would be hugely enthused. Similar for King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral and the Art Gallery. All are great visitor attractions. A walk by the river on O'Callaghan Strand and Clancy Strand is nice (but short). You could get lunch in the Curraghower. It looks on to the river and the castle and is quite popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Visiting Limerick, you should definitely head towards the river and walk the 3 bridges loop. Stop off at The Curraghgower, along Clancy strand for a bite to eat and pint, then cross Thomond bridge and visit King Johns castle, where you'll find lovely views of the river and city, not to mention a museum steeped with history. Treaty City Brewery are on Nicholas across from the castle, and also do tours if you like some craft beer. Then head along to St Marys Cathedral or The Hunt Museum. At the back of the Hunt museum, you will find GetWest or Nevsail, who offer kayaking & boat tours along the river shannon. This may interest your 18 year old. As mentioned by others, if visiting on a Saturday or Sunday, go to the Milk Market and enjoy some local culinary. later on, i'd definitely recommend Escape rooms which again your 18 year old would enjoy. Asylroom escape room on Cecil st or Escape rooms on Nicholas st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think Escape Rooms might leave the 18 month old with irreperable trauma :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

zulutango wrote: »
    I think Escape Rooms might leave the 18 month old with irreperable trauma :D

They might enjoy a bit of kayaking though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

They might enjoy a bit of kayaking though :pac:

oh deary me, for some reason i thought 18yr old....... think its time i left the office (and boards) and went to the pub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

damowill wrote: »
    oh deary me, for some reason i thought 18yr old....... think its time i left the office (and boards) and went to the pub :D

I'd love to see the size of the sling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Amazing. All doable with no car after getting into the train station you reckon?

UL is a bit of a distance from town, but serviced via plenty of buses... departing from William street AFAIK, which is a short stroll from the station.

You could base yourself in town and bus it out, or stay somewhere like the castleTroy park hotel (right beside UL) and bus it to town if ye like?

the hotel has a nice pool for the little one, a lovely bar/restaurant and ye could take in UL, and the fantastic campus, or stroll around castletroy / annacotty areas.

I live in town, well close by... and it's lifeless compared to galway or cork. The people's park and milk market are great shouts. Ye could stay in the absolute hotel (in town) and have access to the hunt museum, treaty city brewery, market and king johns castle. The walk out to UL is a stones throw from that hotel. But it is a few km, each way.

I THINK there is a Coke-Bike stand near the hotel. And another big park, the Clare street park, just up the road, opposite the art college.

If the weather was nice, ye could do worse than a short stroll to sit outside the Locke bar, or grab a bite to eat there, or next door (in azur now rossi's) or stroll up to the famous Donkey Fords for an auld fish and chip. The fantastic St Johns Cathedral is then just around the corner.

The more I type, the more I think a stay in the Absolute hotel might be best IF staying in town.

But I'd relax out in castletroy park hotel and stroll around UL! My wife works on campus, and we're biased!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

zulutango wrote: »
    The walk to UL via the river path is a bit far. It's a few km in each direction and the initial part is less scenic bit (along a canal as opposed to the Shannon River).

The Milk Market is lively and very enjoyable on a Saturday morning (10am - 1pm is best).

The Hunt Museum is good, if you're into art and antiquities, but I doubt the 18 month old would be hugely enthused. Similar for King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral and the Art Gallery. All are great visitor attractions. A walk by the river on O'Callaghan Strand and Clancy Strand is nice (but short). You could get lunch in the Curraghower. It looks on to the river and the castle and is quite popular.

Regular bus service from UL back to town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

YFlyer wrote: »
    Regular bus service from UL back to town.

Don’t mention the 304!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Don’t mention the 304!!! :pac:

They started it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks so much everyone!! Was living the escape rooms for my 18month old but 🀣ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

If the weather is not on your side Dreamland is well worth a visit.

http://dreamland.ie/

My 2 year old loves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Our 18month old loves bunratty - the park and the animals not the castle itself. They now have a petting zoo there too. It is 25 min coach trip from Arthur's quay. dunno if that's too much additional transport but the diblin coaches are comfortable and you would spend the day there. Don't really see hanging around the city centre a fun prospect for your kid.

https://www.bunrattycastle.ie/

Advertisement