Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees for mortgage?

Options
  • 05-07-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I received a site from my parents and I am just in the process of drawing down my mortgage. My solicitor is charging 4600 which seems massive. He was saying I can apply for 1800 tax back on this through the revenue. Obviously this is tax back on the transfer of the site from my parents. I had so much trouble getting my mortgage that I was so happy to get the mortgage I neglected to concentrate fully while I was in with my solicitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

we paid over 5k on Solicitor fees when we bought our house 6 month ago.

They should give a complete break down of all the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

So the 4600 is the total amount. Which includes the fee and stamp duty. Stamp duty should be making up the overwhelming part of that total.

The solicitor should have given u a breakdown. But based on your figure 2700 is stamp duty alone. There are also fixed property registration fees that solicitor will be paying. Their actual fee will not be that big I think.

The 1800 back represents the 4% reclaim if u put your dwelling house on it.

Incidentally if ur site happens to have an existing cottage on it, you could qualify for a lower stamp duty immediately. This happened in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Perez2017

rn wrote: »
    So the 4600 is the total amount. Which includes the fee and stamp duty. Stamp duty should be making up the overwhelming part of that total.

The solicitor should have given u a breakdown. But based on your figure 2700 is stamp duty alone. There are also fixed property registration fees that solicitor will be paying. Their actual fee will not be that big I think.

The 1800 back represents the 4% reclaim if u put your dwelling house on it.

Incidentally if ur site happens to have an existing cottage on it, you could qualify for a lower stamp duty immediately. This happened in my case.
    Yeah the stamp duty alone is 2700 so I'm not been screwed over I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Perez2017

Perez2017 wrote: »
    Yeah the stamp duty alone is 2700 so I'm not been screwed over I think.
    how do I claim back the stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

The Solicitors fees will include VAT @ 23% so get a breakdown of the fees which will attract VAT and the outlay which won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Perez2017 wrote: »
    how do I claim back the stamp duty?

Your solicitor should be able to explain that one for you. I was lucky and credit to my solicitors PA who spotted it as she was about to file the paperwork, at the last minute we got the rate reduced at purchase due to an existing derelict cottage being on the site.

Advertisement