Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc brakes rubbing

Options
  • 05-07-2019 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advise on how to fix a rubbing disc brake issue.
    I have tried reseating the caliper but even when perfectly centered, it seems there isn't enough space. It looks like maybe the pistons are not going back as far as they should.
    I've tried levering them back but they come back to previous position.
    The break lever also feels a little "soft", for want of a better word.

Any ideas before I bring it to a professional ?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the lever feels soft, it's likely that the system has air in it and needs to be bled. something you're willing to try?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Gaz wrote: »
    Looking for some advise on how to fix a rubbing disc brake issue.
    I have tried reseating the caliper but even when perfectly centered, it seems there isn't enough space. It looks like maybe the pistons are not going back as far as they should.
    I've tried levering them back but they come back to previous position.
    The break lever also feels a little "soft", for want of a better word.

Any ideas before I bring it to a professional ?

thanks

Probably best off getting them serviced if you're not already doing it yourself. I found changing the pads a couple of weeks ago on my rear wheel I was getting a bit of rubbing so reduced the fluid pressure slightly using the screw on STI. Still a bit sharper than the front so will probably do a partial bleed to balance them slightly better. Also getting a bit of unwanted braking shifting into the big ring that I want to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Thanks, yeah I will probably go with a service, not confident at bleeding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Pull the lever and put a cable tie or tape on it (while pulled) for a few days and it should bleed up. Cost you nothing only some time

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Pull the lever and put a cable tie or tape on it (while pulled) for a few days and it should bleed up. Cost you nothing only some time

• Advertisement
Advertisement