Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with my grass and how to fix it?

Options
  • 05-07-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Firstly I know basically nothing about gardening other than grass needs cutting. :o
    Can someone here in the know give me a steer as to what might be causing my grass to look like it is.
    A couple of years ago we rotivated and replaced our lawn - did our best to water it after install but now, years later its patchy and strawlike in places.
    I put down some weed and seed some weeks back and think there was a bit of improvement but not much - we also have a mossy substance in parts.

35d2hdw.jpg
    and
    2n1uhy1.jpg

Particularly in the picture above you can see the grass is quite green and thick in parts and in others its barely growning a yellow underneath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

First thing is your grass needs regular mowing. Mowing thickens it up, don’t mow really short either. Mid range on your mower height is a good start.

The grass looks like the soil underneath is poor and starved.

Regular light feeding - every 4 weeks April to September.

Regular mowing - twice weekly may, June July, once outside that.

October use an Autumn lawn feed as this will strengthen the roots.

The dead circular spots looks like a dog/cat urinated and killed the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

_Brian wrote: »
    First thing is your grass needs regular mowing. Mowing thickens it up, don’t mow really short either. Mid range on your mower height is a good start.

The grass looks like the soil underneath is poor and starved.

Regular light feeding - every 4 weeks April to September.

Regular mowing - twice weekly may, June July, once outside that.

October use an Autumn lawn feed as this will strengthen the roots.

The dead circular spots looks like a dog/cat urinated and killed the grass.

Thanks - regarding a lawn feed; anything you recommend?
    didn't know cat wee did that to the grass. I'm off to give Mittens a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Diceicle wrote: »
    Thanks - regarding a lawn feed; anything you recommend?
    didn't know cat wee did that to the grass. I'm off to give Mittens a kick.

I think a granular feed is handy, ask at garden centre and they will recommend something. Little and often is the key.

Advertisement