Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The I need a job done around my House Thread

Options

Comments

Looking for recommendations for someone to rebuild a brick pillar at a driveway entrance. Red brick, about 5ft high. Toppled after a tip from a van. Murroe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Anyone know someone who will block up our chimneys properly?
    Should they be sealed top and bottom or do I need to keep them ventilated?

Limerick City northside

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

redron74 wrote: »

Limerick City northside

Could you try something like this if your only looking to stop a draft?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimney-Balloon-Draught-Excluder-inflation/dp/B07W4RJYFP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=54928268082&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6iri5IETUZ8J-eP5_ekeLZpMsgE9HhVoxzIqEFw7LplaV5pi7_XdaDKcaAviWEALw_wcB&hvadid=259148174576&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=20485&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15488866142734134929&hvtargid=kwd-362076935437&hydadcr=16908_1717172&keywords=chimney+balloon&qid=1610624327&sr=8-3&tag=hydrukspg-21
    Ideally you should vent a chimney if you close up a fire place or strip a section of the chimney out and close it off

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Entonces

Recommendation for someone to do a simple enough lean to roof off a shed. Looking to make an outdoor play/meet area for next few months. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

redron74 wrote: »

Limerick City northside

Thanks for that suggestion. We have been thinking of doing something like that on a temporary basis, but really we want to get the chimneys blocked permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Anyone have a trusted recommendation for a roofer to repair a leaking roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

FutureGuy wrote:

Treaty roofing did our extension flat roof no issues with price or service

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

FutureGuy wrote: »

Mike McGregor **Ill pm his number**

Treacy roofing recommended him to me and although he took a little over a week to get to me when he did he was able to fix it there and then . Nice man, reasonable prices and knows his trade . Fixed my leak in a tiled roof that another roofer had said he fixed but didn't and never came back .

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

jonski wrote: »
    Mike McGregor **Ill pm his number**

Treacy roofing recommended him to me and although he took a little over a week to get to me when he did he was able to fix it there and then . Nice man, reasonable prices and knows his trade . Fixed my leak in a tiled roof that another roofer had said he fixed but didn't and never came back .

John I never thought of Mike McGregor when I was at your house, he is a neighbour of mine glad he sorted you out.

tweek84 wrote: »
    John I never thought of Mike McGregor when I was at your house, he is a neighbour of mine glad he sorted you out.

I'm waiting to pounce to recommend you but no one has come forward with a request for your particular set of skills :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The folks need a new oil tank supplied & fitted for their central heating, who usually does this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The folks need a new oil tank supplied & fitted for their central heating, who usually does this?
    Thanks

I'd say go to someone like A&R Supplies or Ger Malone's who supply tanks and ask them to recommend someone to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hi all

Has anyone any experience with https://www.limerickpowerwashing.ie/ ( PM me as were probably not allowed on the forum)

I've a considerable bit of powerwashing to be done this year across my own place and the parent as well as the roofs needing a good clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

dashoonage wrote: »
    Hi all

Has anyone any experience with https://www.limerickpowerwashing.ie/ ( PM me as were probably not allowed on the forum)

I've a considerable bit of powerwashing to be done this year across my own place and the parent as well as the roofs needing a good clean.

I haven't used them but if anyone if going up on your roof makes sure they're insured and use ladders, anyone walking on tiles can crack them, you won't know about the cracks until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

phog wrote: »
    I haven't used them but if anyone if going up on your roof makes sure they're insured and use ladders, anyone walking on tiles can crack them, you won't know about the cracks until it's too late.

That's good advice. The amount of damage done in and around chimneys and valleys from guys not using ladders is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Cheers lads. website says they are insured and im aware of the risks and need for insurance etc, hence looking to see if anyone has experienced. if i cant get someone suited ill end up at it myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

If anyone has any recommendations to get fascia repaired/replaced and roof repointed I'd appreciate the tip.

We had a leak during heavy rain so need to get it looked at before the spring showers kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If anyone has any recommendations to get fascia repaired/replaced and roof repointed I'd appreciate the tip.

We had a leak during heavy rain so need to get it looked at before the spring showers kick in

John Needham from Killaloe did my parents house and they were very happy with him.

I had someone do a pretty big job for me the year before and as a result, I can recommend someone to avoid, unfortunately. They are using a previous address in Askeaton on Golden Pages and also listed in irelandlookup. Listed as Fascia & Soffit and also guttering.
    I got a judgement in small claims court against them and the Sherrif was unable to get anything from them. The Sheriff's office seems to have a long list of judgements against them and no means of getting anything from them, so one to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ligind

Hi folks ,

Can anyone recommend someone to clear moss from a roof?

I have a leaking roof , roofer called out , says he cant find the leak due to the level of moss on the roof , he recommended it be cleaned first.

From a quick Google, most outfits that pop up appear to power wash the roof, I have been advised against this so I am looking for it to be cleaned manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

Hey folks. I am looking for a few different tradesmen for the following. If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

- Chimney Sweep
    - Oil boiler service
    - Builder to complete a full renovation of our 1st floor (replace floors & ceilings, plaster, new doors new bathroom, addition of some extra power sockets etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Hi guys. Can anyone recommend a plumber and/or an electrician that could fix an immersion switch and a shower that is no longer flowing any water?

We've been hit with a double whammy here and currently have no way to have a shower.

Please PM me if you know anyone that could help.

Harambe wrote: »
    Hi guys. Can anyone recommend a plumber and/or an electrician that could fix an immersion switch and a shower that is no longer flowing any water?

We've been hit with a double whammy here and currently have no way to have a shower.

There is an excellent electrician on here goes by the name of tweek84 . I couldn't rate him highly enough, would restore your faith in tradesmen .

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Hi all was wondering would anyone have a recommendation for someone to do some work in my back yard. I had it concreted over a few years ago and I want to get rid of it and get some grass put it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

ligind wrote: »
    Hi folks ,

Can anyone recommend someone to clear moss from a roof?

I have a leaking roof , roofer called out , says he cant find the leak due to the level of moss on the roof , he recommended it be cleaned first.

From a quick Google, most outfits that pop up appear to power wash the roof, I have been advised against this so I am looking for it to be cleaned manually.
    I am wondering if you found somebody to clean your roof? I am in the same position and finding it very difficult to source someone to do this. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ligind

I got the leak repaired so having the roof cleaned is less of a priority. There was a few lessons learned there unfortunately.

I got a recommendation from the roofer that originally called out , I did get a quote , expensive enough but they were saying all the right things when I spoke to them on the phone . I might get it done later in the year .

I would recommend being very precise in what you expect done and the associated cost before any work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Will someone give suggestions for a painter / decorator, need inside & outside of house painted.
    TIA

Harambe wrote: »

Hello,

Did you get some recommendations?

Hi all,

Need a plumber to change a valve leading into boiler system, failed open.
    It's affecting our boiler/heating, but doesn't need an RGI.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Hi there. Looking for someone to do some weeding and tidying up in the garden. Any recommendations for someone who isn't expensive. Many thanks

Hello,

Did you get some recommendations?

Hi all,

Need a plumber to change a valve leading into boiler system, failed open.
    It's affecting our boiler/heating, but doesn't need an RGI.

Thanks

Ended up doing this myself. Called a few plumbers, no call backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

kiersm wrote: »
    Hi all was wondering would anyone have a recommendation for someone to do some work in my back yard. I had it concreted over a few years ago and I want to get rid of it and get some grass put it.

Thanks

Would you consider artificial grass, AFAIK it can be fitted directly onto your existing concrete, so would eliminate possible expensive excavation work, considering it myself but it will be next year for us as doing other stuff this year.

Advertisement