Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cctv options

Options
  • 05-07-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi guys I’m restoring a old 2 story house and hoping to move in soon just wondering what’s best cctv and not too dear I had a fella out for a look he was giving me 6 megapixel cameras an antenna fitted to bring good signal to the WiFi router inside (3.ie) a 4 Terra byte hard drive the price he quoted me was €2000 I can also watch it from my phone. Just wondering is there any cheaper alternatives besides a WiFi cctv system I definitely don’t wanna pay that price but would like a good camera I.e one that would pick up reg number of vehicle Incase of a break in. Can someone help me thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That price seems fair for what you are getting.
    Do you have a particular budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stapes

KoolKid wrote: »
    That price seems fair for what you are getting.
    Do you have a particular budget in mind?

€1000

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KingCong

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KingCong wrote: »

One issue the OP may have with systems like this, is that the OP says they are on three mobile broadband.

IP cameras like Nest etc. work by constantly uploading video to the cloud. Such streaming would not work well on 3 and would probably get throttled. The OP would need to upgrade to a wired broadband service if going this way. Which might be well worth doing anyway.

Also the OP also is looking for the ability to read reg plates, depending on distance, some of these might struggle with this. Though I do think this is perhaps a misplaced requirement.

Also depending on the option you go for with IP cameras, it may involve a subscription, which should be factored in.

OP I spent no more then €250 on 5 DIY IP cameras (2 x Logitech Circle and 3 x Yi cameras) and I'm very happy with that setup.

Of course a pro installed Hikvision system is a whole other level and you get what you pay for. The question you have to ask is if the extra cost and features are worth it over cheaper IP cams.

Advertisement