Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Food & Craft Festival in Salthill Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I see on the food and craft festival on Facebook there is only praise for the event no negative comments ��������

You must be looking at a different FB page to me as I can see plenty of posts with negative comments. Plus, many of the positive posts sound like they’ve been written by someone in the advertising business ;). I’m not a cynical person but I have to question the impartiality of those posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

meanwhile claregalway all was going to charity had a lovely coffe and cake 5.50e. watched some epic mediveal jousting bought a cool lamp got some lovely syrups a ream of veg and some flowers for garden. 10e entry... about 60 stands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

You must be looking at a different FB page to me as I can see plenty of posts with negative comments. Plus, many of the positive posts sound like they’ve been written by someone in the advertising business ;). I’m not a cynical person but I have to question the impartiality of those posters.
    This guy must've gone rogue ... 😀https://www.facebook.com/1598167941/posts/10217369749147871/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Iamchef.no

I heard from one vendor who enquired about having a coffee stall there was quoted nearly a grand for his pitch fee for 3 days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Iamchef.no wrote: »
    I heard from one vendor who enquired about having a coffee stall there was quoted nearly a grand for his pitch fee for 3 days!!!

and rightly so

• Advertisement

Looks like the good reviews are fake... This one https://www.facebook.com/100000351498117/posts/2459468284074864/ by a guy who 2 hours ago is in Australia! Must have teleport machine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Looks like the good reviews are fake... This one https://www.facebook.com/100000351498117/posts/2459468284074864/ by a guy who 2 hours ago is in Australia! Must have teleport machine
    Embarrassing stuff from the organisers.

Embarrassing stuff from the organisers.

Yea, totally. I'd do it myself too I suppose. At least it's a little bit sunnier today

I see The Village Salthill FB page have distanced themselves from the event too, saying all they've done is advertise it but have no hand, act or part in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Went down today, not much difference to many free events. Felt sorry for the craft stall holders, they seemed bored out of their tree. Overall fairly quiet. Would be more successful if entry was free or cheaper.
    Bought a few treats as I love to cook, but overall rather meh.

I went to the Bia Lover festive in Athenry and dropped 60 euros at it between numerous stalls and came home with a load of sauces, dips, oils, cakes, cheese etc

That included paying a fiver at the gate for a voluntary raffle which went towards the cost

I have no problem spending a few quid at these things to support the event and the stall owners but the charge at the gate in Salthill put me off even going for a look. If myself and the wife went that would be 25 euro before we even got inside.

Hopefully they can learn a lesson from other events on a smarter way to run things.

I wonder, are the demonstration and talks a draw at these events for people? Personally I never go near them and prefer instead chatting with the people on the stalls.

As it was, this weekend I ended up at tiny traders in Galway city on Saturday and spent my money there instead

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Went down for a look before I realized it was 10 quid in. Not that steep I suppose if you're interested in the demos and whatever else they had on, but I was only there out of curiosity, so I didnt bother. There was droves of people turning away when they saw the price on the gate. I hope they keep going with it but maybe promote it better next time and let people know what they're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We got excited when we saw it as we were out for a walk and getting hungry but like a lot of others, we walked away when we saw the price. For 4 of us it would have been 50euro before buying food
    At that price you'd be expecting one voucher to spend on any food stall to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'll be going. I'm not going for the food though, I'm going for the craft beer. I don't think they would be able to sell craft beer at a free event.

I shouldn't have bothered. Galway Hooker and O'Hara's were the only brewers there. There was also a local cider seller. I can now agree that charging in was not a good idea, it was way over priced. Not impressed and I don't think I would go back. The website was very misleading, it needs to actually list what vendors will be at the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some guy from the Food Fair on Keith Finnegan saying it was a great success over 20k people came in did not hear the complete piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Some guy from the Food Fair on Keith Finnegan saying it was a great success over 20k people came in did not hear the complete piece.
    We were just saying this yes, if the event would be talked up or there would be an honest discussion on it on local media.

On the + side, it will be an excellent place for dog walks for the next few days as it will be heaving with smells for them to trace.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I was there yesterday and I paid the tenner in and I thought it was worth it. I spent 4 hours walking around to all the different stalls. There were so many tasters of cheese, chutneys, chocolates, ciders, mead, gin etc.
    It was nice to interact with the stall holders as well and talk to them about their businesses.
    The music was great, they had a few different bands on and they finished off with Oddity.
    I didn't see anyone turning away at the gate when they saw the price and there were plenty of people entering at the prebooked gate even up until 6pm.
    The demonstration tent was standing room only when I was leaving at 7pm and it had seating for 360 people.

20k is actually a piss poor attendance for a 3 day event

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

sowing the seed for next year, cowboys Ted and your man finnegan is tge worst of them, he'd say mass to get the upper hand in a situation lol

• Advertisement

pure.conya wrote: »

sowing the seed for next year, cowboys Ted and your man finnegan is tge worst of them, he'd say mass to get the upper hand in a situation lol
    Keith loves a good mass, especially a meaty sermon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a little strange that the website for Galway Food Festival is still active but outdated.
    https://galwayfoodandcraft.com 2019
    http://galwayfoodfestival.com 2018
    You'd think they'd throw up a site redirect

Either way, hope it works out for them.

biko wrote: »
    It's a little strange that the website for Galway Food Festival is still active but outdated.
    https://galwayfoodandcraft.com 2019
    http://galwayfoodfestival.com 2018
    You'd think they'd throw up a site redirect

Either way, hope it works out for them.
    Galway food Fest has nothing to do with this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Anyone know the name of the company who organised the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

buzz11 wrote: »

They appear to not want to associate names / contact numbers with it. Even domain name is anon.
    Just looking at website; what makes it "international"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

buzz11 wrote: »

Some of the festival committee from the launch event;
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/galwaynow.com/exclusive-social-photos-galway-international-food-and-craft-festival-launch/amp/

Andrea B. wrote: »

There was a stall selling Greek Olive Oil and quite a few traders from Armagh ;)
    Not sure that that qualifies for "international"

Andrea B. wrote: »

There was a stall selling Greek Olive Oil, an Italian stall selling pasta etc. and quite a few traders from Armagh ;)
    Not sure that that qualifies for "international"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

If you google "festival director" and the name of the festival, there is one person mentioned in Advertiser & Tribune articles from a few months ago.

Can anyone who was there tell me, did "festival guides" actually "roam the park to have fun with patrons each day"?

Also, there were numerous reports on social media that the kids area was €2 per kid for each 5 minutes. But the April publicity states:

"Our dedicated kids' zone, which is free for all the family, will help provide a wonderful weekend carnival experience."

A bit unfortunate if you bought tickets on the basis of free kids activities and then got slammed with €2 per 5 minutes!

Advertisement