Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's about mindshare IMHO. AMD really need to edge out the 3080 in order to capture the main stream market. They've been competative in the mainstream for years but they are very much considered the second choice by non-techies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I remember seeing a rumour after the nvidia launch that AMD were planning on dropping the price of their high end card from $600 to $550.

If its true, and the card performs close to the 3080 then it'll definitely eat into the Nvidia Market share. If AMD and TSMC can produce enough for launch then it'll be an option for those looking to get a new card as soon as possible considering the lack of stock for the 3000 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They just need stock and they'll be more or less winning. If they have enough stock to fill most of the initial launch orders while people are still sitting there refreshing Nvidia's website for the elusive FE cards and reading blogs and watching videos about multiple AIB cards with cheaper components that are causing crashes, then I'd say a lot of people will jump at it.

In saying that, I still think the reveal date and the potential launch date are too far away, especially if Nvidia and the other AIBs manage to get a decent amount of stock in for October and even early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Santa Claus will be VERY busy this December if the AMD cards kill it and the stock of 3080s is back to sufficient.....hopefully my PS5 will tide me over till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Santa Claus will be VERY busy this December if the AMD cards kill it and the stock of 3080s is back to sufficient.....hopefully my PS5 will tide me over till then.

Getting a PS5 was quite the adventure, finally got mine last Thurs when Smyths website imploded, need a new F5 key though!

• Advertisement

Alleged spec leaks from Newegg

Bruv6ko_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Alleged spec leaks from Newegg

Bruv6ko_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Bit underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There's almost nothing to take from that to be underwhelmed by.

We know the boost clocks are much higher.

BloodBath wrote: »
    There's almost nothing to take from that to be underwhelmed by.

We know the boost clocks are much higher.

Near 1000mhz higher...

I'm still underwhelmed. Memory bandwidth doesn't look too healthy either.

Near 1000mhz higher...

I'm still underwhelmed. Memory bandwidth doesn't look too healthy either.

Memory bandwidth on the 6900XT matches with the 3070 as opposed to the 3080. Same base clock too, albeit reported higher boost clock, but an 80w TDP increase to go along with it.

So looks like it could be marginally better than the 3070, but consume more power. And with the MSRP of the 3070 at $499 they might struggle with pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't take specs as "confirmed" until Videocardz.com says so.

Memory bandwidth on the 6900XT matches with the 3070 as opposed to the 3080. Same base clock too, albeit reported higher boost clock, but an 80w TDP increase to go along with it.

So looks like it could be marginally better than the 3070, but consume more power. And with the MSRP of the 3070 at $499 they might struggle with pricing.

The 6900xt will be a fair bit better than the 3070 I think. I think it's going to be pricier too with twice the memory. Probably closer to the 3080 in terms of performance and pricing.

I wouldn't read too much into memory bandwidth. There's a bunch of factors outside of total bandwidth that are important. It's more of an indication of how many memory chips it will have which is 8 x 2gb.

Vega 7 had lot's of bandwidth but it was wasted.

There's also a bunch of new gpu memory compression technologies on the way that are being used in console and will be on PC as well. This should make high bandwidth less necessary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What was the RRP of the Vega 7 at launch? The 6900 will probably match that I would think

Hyzepher wrote: »
    What was the RRP of the Vega 7 at launch? The 6900 will probably match that I would think

$699, which would put it at the same price as the 3080

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

There have definitely been rumours of a water-cooled navi21 floating around. Maybe it's got an AIO or maybe it's actually just a bigger chip. Interesting though, could be a limited edition card or something.

circadian wrote: »
    There have definitely been rumours of a water-cooled navi21 floating around. Maybe it's got an AIO or maybe it's actually just a bigger chip. Interesting though, could be a limited edition card or something.

Could be an EVGA Hybrid style deal. Would be interesting enough if true to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Could be an EVGA Hybrid style deal. Would be interesting enough if true to see.

EVGA has an exclusive partnership with Nvidia.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

With the recent reveal of the Zen3 pricing we may not see any pricing benefits from Big Navi if performance matches 3080/3070

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

AMD benchmarks show Big Navi runs 4K ultra at 61 FPS in Borderlands 3 and 73 FPS in Gears of War 5.

Seems a little underwhelming even compared to RTX 3080.

But ... they didn't say what model or price point that was for. Performance should improve with release drivers. AMD could be trolling us and Nvidia by showing benchmarks which aren't from the top SKU. They already did that today with the Zen 3 Cinebench single thread records.

If it's the top card then it's going to be faster than the 3070 but a bit below the 3080 but with nearly twice the memory. It would have to be priced below €600 to be a compelling buy because you're still losing out on the RT and Tensor cores and Nvidias better feature set and better software support outside of gaming.

AMD can't match Nvidias pricing for the same performance. They aren't at that point yet. They still have a lot of catching up to do.

MugsGame wrote: »
    AMD benchmarks show Big Navi runs 4K ultra at 61 FPS in Borderlands 3 and 73 FPS in Gears of War 5.

Seems a little underwhelming even compared to RTX 3080.

But ... they didn't say what model or price point that was for. Performance should improve with release drivers. AMD could be trolling us and Nvidia by showing benchmarks which aren't from the top SKU. They already did that today with the Zen 3 Cinebench single thread records.

Cribbed from other sites, but they're close.

Game (DX12) | RTX 3080 | Big Navi
    Borderlands 3 | 61 | 61
    COD MW | 101 | 88
    Gears of War 5 | 76 | 73

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I found this. AMD's results were at ultra settings 4k.

sncnbzy-png.2461366

Not sure how accurate those benchmarks are. I guess it depends on the benchmark.

There's other graphs showing the 3080 performing better than that.

Borderlands-3-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-4K-Performance-680x383.jpg

Found this too.

Radeon-RX-6000-Performance.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-teases-radeon-rx-6000-big-navi-4k-performance

I wonder if the benchmark is for the 6900xt with the 6900xtx pushing the last 10% to beat/match the 3080.

AMD playing 4d chess making Nvidia think they are safe. I doubt either company can keep many secrets from each other though.

There must be all kinds of shady **** going on to spy on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    I wonder if the benchmark is for the 5900xt with the 5900xtx pushing the last 10% to beat/match the 3080.

AMD playing 4d chess making Nvidia think they are safe. I doubt either company can keep many secrets from each other though.

There must be all kinds of shady **** going on to spy on each other.

Intel and Nvidia also have deeper pockets to pay a handsome sum to internal AMD leakers.

@BloodBath

AMD's benchmarks are in DX12, TechGage's don't say so I'm assuming DX11 (Borderlands 3 had broken DX12 for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

I found this. AMD's results were at ultra settings 4k.

sncnbzy-png.2461366

Yeah, see AMD's video which I linked to above :)

One caveat - AMD's Big Navi figures are paired with a Zen 3 CPU with higher single thread performance than any public Intel CPU. So it might be that we're not comparing apples with apples and RTX 3080 gets another bump when paired with Zen 3.

• Advertisement

I doubt there's any cpu limitations going on at 4k with these frame rates.

Advertisement