Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

EoinHef wrote: »
    11 days left.

Really interested in how they approach ray tracing and how well the hardware can run it.

I'd say they'll be looking to use either an open source RT solution or maybe the Directx Ray tracing solution that is most likely in use on the xbox at least. I think it'll take a little longer to mature than Nvidias solution but whatever AMD use may well become the standard considering both consoles are most likely using it.

I doubt developers are going to regularly develop games with both solutions.

Then again. Who knows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If they don't spend at least 10 minutes of their presentation on how they're implementing RT, then they've lost.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If they don't spend at least 10 minutes of their presentation on how they're implementing RT, then they've lost.

Maybe. I don't know how big a deal RT really is for consumers considering the performance hit it brings, even in this generation. Console RT is like RT-lite with some of the usual clever console tricks to get decent performance.

That being said, some kind of software RT that uses specific hardware components that can be improved with updates is what I suspect they'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am interested in seeing what they do with RT but don't really care at this stage. More curious about their version of DLSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Yeah they really need a decent alternative to DLSS, 'Radeon Boost 2.0' simply isn't going to cut it. RT is probably going to become pretty standard in AAA games once the new consoles come out.

It's all well and good if big navi can pump out 4k 60fps in AAA titles, but if Nvidia can do RT + 4K DLSS @ 60fps and the AMD alternative is perceptibly inferior in image quality, people aren't going switch to AMD no matter how competitive the pricing.

Unfortunately that is the situation AMD find themselves in. They need to convince people who currently own Nvidia GPU's to switch on their next upgrade. Lots of them. There's no mining boom to bail them out this time.

• Advertisement

AMD have supported checkerboard upscaling on PS4/XBOne since years :pac:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-we-built-a-pc-with-playstation-neo-gpu-tech
    NhjAifF.png

OK? I don't think that was a great secret to anyone, 95% of PS4 Pro games are upscaled 1080p/1440p. It's nowhere remotely near as good as DLSS though so I don't fully get the relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

9 days until launch and there still hasn't been many leaks, certainly not on the level of what we got with the 3000 series. AMD have really kept their cards close to their chest with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

9 days until launch and there still hasn't been many leaks, certainly not on the level of what we got with the 3000 series. AMD have really kept their cards close to their chest with this one.

Sorry to be pedantic but it's only the announcement of the launch.

https://twitter.com/patrickschur_/status/1317527480866144257

• Advertisement

Sorry to be pedantic but it's only the announcement of the launch.

This is considered the launch (where they reveal specs and pricing) and the release is then where they go up for sale no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm getting one of these cards. Don't know which one yet. Depends on pricing.

I'm getting one of these cards. Don't know which one yet. Depends on pricing.

Will probably be following the same route if stock is decent and there's cards sub 300mm as had zero luck with the 3080 series so far and don't hold high hopes for the 3070.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

If big navi has clock speeds of 2.4ghz it will blow the 3080 out of the water and probably the 3090 too

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    If big navi has clock speeds of 2.4ghz it will blow the 3080 out of the water and probably the 3090 too

Clock speeds alone doesn't mean it'll have better performance though. Number of cuda cores, the fact it'll have GDDR6 as opposed to GDDR6X, the memory interface etc all needs to be taken into account too.

Will be interesting to see what they do, really hope they at least compete with the 3080 but not expecting big things.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I think most expectations as of now are for them to come close to or slightly beat the RTX 3080, most of those more in the know aren't expecting a 3090 killer.

If they can achieve 3080 level performance, with more VRAM, undercut it on price, not have driver issues and provide much better availability, big Navi could be very successful even if it doesn't outright beat the 3080.

For the 3090, to provide a competitor it'll probably be something like the Radeon VII again - a data centre card re-purposed for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Clock speeds alone doesn't mean it'll have better performance though. Number of cuda cores, the fact it'll have GDDR6 as opposed to GDDR6X, the memory interface etc all needs to be taken into account too.

And that's why shopping for graphics cards SUCKS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This is considered the launch (where they reveal specs and pricing) and the release is then where they go up for sale no?

Pat-tay-to, Pat-arto I suppose.

Overheal wrote: »
    And that's why shopping for graphics cards SUCKS

Not really, we have the TechPowerUp GPU Database available to tell us a given model's average performance compared to all cards of the last 8+ years, instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Big Navi up to 320w TBP, 355w on AIB's according to Igor's labs. Pretty much the same as the 3080.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6000-big-navi-gpu-power-numbers-detailed-navi-21-xt-320w-navi-21-xl-290w/

I really thought those days were long behind us for single card solutions. That's not unique to AMD obviously, I know 3080 and 3090 are just as hungry.

I will have to actually check what sort of PSU I have. I can't even remember at this stage if it's 500W or 700W or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nah, this is high end. Any efficiency gains from a smaller process node are lost when you cram more cores on there and whack up the clock speed. The die size isn't very big, 500-550mm but the clock speed is supposed to be as high as 2.4ghz boost which is insane for a gpu.

There's also 16gb of memory on there.

The 5700xt was 225w and this gpu is going to be roughly twice as fast so only 100w more with twice the memory isn't bad considering they are both 7nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd nearly get one rather than a RTX just to give two fingers to Nvidia and the whole 30 series debacle.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd nearly get one rather than a RTX just to give two fingers to Nvidia and the whole 30 series debacle.

I wouldn't put it past a similar supply issue happening with these though. Hopefully it doesn't, but there's a strong chance there won't be wide availability until after Christmas depending on logistics and initial launch stock.

Yeah I've finalised selling my 2070 Super and will more than likely picking up Big Navi.

On the power discussion, I totally understand why the cards consume what they do, it's more just interesting that the high-end cards of 2020 are still sucking as much juice as the high end cards of even 10 years ago which would've offered relative performance.

Though, I see from looking into various cards, that the R9 295x2 was a 500W card!

Someone actually selling one on Adverts for €140.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah I've finalised selling my 2070 Super and will more than likely picking up Big Navi.

On the power discussion, I totally understand why the cards consume what they do, it's more just interesting that the high-end cards of 2020 are still sucking as much juice as the high end cards of even 10 years ago which would've offered relative performance.

Though, I see from looking into various cards, that the R9 295x2 was a 500W card!

Someone actually selling one on Adverts for €140.
    Handy for the winter. Save you money on the heating. :pac:

That was a crazy card alright.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6000-graphics-cards-specs-leaked-radeon-rx-6900-xt-navi-21-xtx-radeon-rx-6800-navi-21-xt-xl-radeon-rx-6700-navi-22/

Specs leaked apparently. Those higher end cards are going at some insane clock speeds if true. I can see why there is such a high power draw if this is how they're performing but if these chips are good for overclocking then enthusiasts might have a lot of fun pushing them. The article includes some stuff from Igors Lab that suggests AIB producers are looking at 2.5Ghz + boost speeds.

• Advertisement

Limited stock at launch being rumoured for the 6900xt, the flagship card.

Advertisement