Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Been told that the AMD media embargo will be lifted in November 2nd and selected media should all have recieved their sample AMD cards before the anouncement event on the 28th. Partner cards will be a little later, but should arrive before launch on the 10th.

Also apparently AMD have produced a lot more reference cards than Nvidia did as they had the capacity to do so with TSMC producing their chips. Custom pcbs will be later if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I assume media embargo lift would only be for unboxings.

I can't see them having reviews of the cards up before review of Zen 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The sooner these are released the better as I'm currently cardless after selling my 5700 XT in preparation of these cards coming to market. I actually miss that card. For anybody looking for a decent card they should pick up a cheapish 5700 series card as I would assume a fair few will be on the market soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Serephucus wrote: »
    I assume media embargo lift would only be for unboxings.

I can't see them having reviews of the cards up before review of Zen 3.

The Zen 3 media embargo will be lifted before the RDNA2 one.
    Both will be lifted before the respective parts go live on the 5th and 10th.

Unboxings of AMD RNDA2 cards could happen as early as the 28th after the press event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

The sooner these are released the better as I'm currently cardless after selling my 5700 XT in preparation of these cards coming to market. I actually miss that card. For anybody looking for a decent card they should pick up a cheapish 5700 series card as I would assume a fair few will be on the market soon enough.

If you get one with decent silicon and you've got some headroom on the PSU you can powerplay these to some great clock speeds. Not sure how much of a performance boost you get though. I'll be holding onto my Radeon VII until RDNA3 I think.

As for the power draw and clock speeds of these new cards, I get the feeling the numbers are for an AIB setup, with a custom cooling solution and serious overclocks. Possibly even an AIO with water cooling solution.

The fact that you could clock a 5700 XT to 2.1Ghz and draw about 250-260 watts at the card, I would be expecting some sort of power refinement in the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The sooner these are released the better

Yep. I'm just waiting to pull the trigger on hardware. I bought a NVME SSD the other week and feel silly about it just putting around on my desk.

Here's me trying to control the money burning in my wallet.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I feel ya about waiting around..i have around 2k worth of new equipment delivered over the last 2 weeks.all i need now is the 5900x as i have already done bios flashback on the new board on test bench

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I feel ya about waiting around..i have around 2k worth of new equipment delivered over the last 2 weeks.all i need now is the 5900x as i have already done bios flashback on the new board on test bench

And then you get that magical moment where you slot in the CPU and POST:

giphy.gif

(dat GPU heat)

Overheal wrote: »
    And then you get that magical moment where you slot in the CPU and POST:

giphy.gif

(dat GPU heat)

I hope so..haha..I have had my fair share of corrupted bios flashes over the years
    Its why i always spent a premium on asus boards..except this time around i went MSI

Yeah I've bought 3 boards from ASUS and they've never given me any seeming issues - I have some weird sound card problems lately though on a Sabertooth 990FX board tho, it could be software related or setup related I just haven't chased it down yet. A couple times a week the audio will just suddenly crackle, the machine will start to slow down, and then just hang up or even crash to POST screen. Could also be due to that SMART error HDD I am too lazy to unount :D

MSI boards have been on my shortlist. I haven't bought a Motherboard yet because of rumors that there may be revision boards launching soon that change up the cooling solution for the X570 chipset to eliminate the onboard fan.

• Advertisement

Yeah i heard that too about the new revision and removing the chipset fan in favour of passive cooling..but i was getting nervous about supply of boards nevermind the lottery that will be the ryzen cpu scramble

I cannot hear my chipset fan. I have a Gigabyte X570.

I figured not, it's just a moving part and a critical point of failure.

Is it a standard fan size and how hard would it be to replace after a failure? Not that the ones they spec aren't meant to be suited for the application but the concern is there.

Is it a standard fan size and how hard would it be to replace after a failure? Not that the ones they spec aren't meant to be suited for the application but the concern is there.

I'm not sure I never took it apart. But I have the fan on the silent profile and it doesn't get hot but I do not have a PCIe 4.0 SSD on there. I'd imagine one but deffo 2 or more of them on your system it would generate a fair bit of heat.

I've seen a couple of people ghetto rig a passive cooled system on their X570 chipsets, so it is possible to do it and I'm sure board MF would have been able to come up with ascetically pleasing passive options if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

X570 chipset fan is not needed unless you're hammering 2x PCIe 4.0 drives constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So Igor's Lab had posted a few reported 4k firemark benchmarks of the 6800XT. If true looks like it'll be pushing the 3080 performance wise on titles without raytracing.

Which then means the 6900XT is presumably the next step up and competing with the 3090.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/3dmark-in-ultra-hd-benchmarks-the-rx-6800xt-without-and-with-raytracing/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

those leaked numbers from last night are rather...mental...it makes sense now seeing why nvidia rushed out the 30 series cards.

i am just wondering now how many of those 30 series cards pending orders will be cancelled next week lmao.

What a year for the industry damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah they aren't quite there with the ray tracing if this is true, and that's expected. On that point I'd say these cards will be lower priced than Nvidias offerings just like they did with Zen against Intel. If AMD were able to offer better performance on all fronts I could see them pricing the same or more than Nvidia.

I'm still wondering what their RT implementation is and if software updates along the way will easily boost performance. Still, I'm not ready to make the RT jump yet. Sure, it looks nice but there still seems to be a fairly big performance hit in some scenarios, next generation it should have matured.

circadian wrote: »
    Yeah they aren't quite there with the ray tracing if this is true, and that's expected. On that point I'd say these cards will be lower priced than Nvidias offerings just like they did with Zen against Intel. If AMD were able to offer better performance on all fronts I could see them pricing the same or more than Nvidia.

I'm still wondering what their RT implementation is and if software updates along the way will easily boost performance. Still, I'm not ready to make the RT jump yet. Sure, it looks nice but there still seems to be a fairly big performance hit in some scenarios, next generation it should have matured.

I wouldn't be surprised if with the 6800XT they just skipped RT and focused on just regular performance at a slightly lower cost than the 3080. Still only a handful of games that support it and as you mentioned there's a big performance hit even with the Nvidia cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The RT on the cards is supposed to be handled by the regular CU's.

There's a dual graphics pipeline that can handle regular rasterization, RT or tensor workflows.

That way you get to use 100% of the card for any rendering method or a mix of them.

We will find out soon enough I guess.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    X570 chipset fan is not needed unless you're hammering 2x PCIe 4.0 drives constantly.

Well, I mean, I want PCIe 4 and have a PCIe 4 NVME bought, so either way I'm stuck with the chipset fan if all of them have it :D

Sabrent Rocket 1TB will be the main drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, I mean, I want PCIe 4 and have a PCIe 4 NVME bought, so either way I'm stuck with the chipset fan if all of them have it :D

Sabrent Rocket 1TB will be the main drive.

I don't think you understand.

When I'm talking of hammering the SSD, I mean something like "continuous writes while doing video encoding".

Gaming is more continuous reads.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6800xt-alleged-3dmark-scores-hit-the-web

Going by the possible leaked Port Royal benchmark, RX 6800 XT could be on-par with RTX 2080 Ti / 3070 for ray-tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not even continuous, once most of the assets are in ram/graphics memory there's not a lot of activity going on with storage.

I don't think games can even saturate the bandwidth of those pcie 4 drives yet either. Benchmarks seem to indicate there is little to no speed improvements in load times.

That will change in the coming years when the gpu's gain direct access to NVME ssd's taking the load off the cpu and being far better suited to maximizing the bandwidth of them.

I'm just saying I'm still left out the fan. If you're saying it won't run unless I'm under load, great. Whether I use PCIe 4 or not the board still has the fan on it :pac:

I know what you mean about the load. I won't be using a scratch disk or anything, and Bloodbath is probably right the file sizes for game assets tend to be chunked up and small and it's not going to saturate the 5 GB/s or whatever this drive is synthetically capable of for massive data transfers.

Having said that, there is the DirectStorage API to consider yes?

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74898/directstorage-will-optimize-gen4-ssds-for-windows-10-gaming/index.html#:~:text=DirectStorage%20API%20is%20part%20of,bandwidth%20of%20Gen4%20SSD%20storage.

On a side note I would like to petition DirectX to make an API for RGB :D whether you're a Chroma, a Cue, a Hue, or a Lightsync - there's just way too many RGB standards and they're buggy as heck, my point being games integration is a real growth market and a standard would be nice.

eg. This title has it. I asked the devs about Lightsync support on their Discord and they told me they ragequit on more RGB support than Razer Chroma after they moved on to ASUS Aura Sync and had a bear of a time getting it to stop users from crashing to desktop, even if they didn't have ASUS products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

On a side note I would like to petition DirectX to make an API for RGB :D

I remember razer asking you to log into your devices. No doubt they monetise that data. DirectX is a graphics API anyway and only for windows, definitely not where you wanna go for any kind of standards for LEDs. Plug your RGB device it into a raspberry pi or mac system and there goes your 'standard'. https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

I remember razer asking you to log into your devices. No doubt they monetise that data. DirectX is a graphics API anyway and only for windows, definitely not where you wanna go for any kind of standards for LEDs. Plug your RGB device it into a raspberry pi or mac system and there goes your 'standard'. https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

Nah, if DirectX can make it to linux so could in theory any API that is under its umbrella

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-heart-linux/

Razer does have accounts I haven't seen evidence of my data being sold, but I suppose its possible. I imagine it's more for internal collection on hardware usage. They had to have known nobody broadly speaking uses their macro keys because they dropped them from the Razer Elite v3, from the earlier BlackWidow ultimates etc.

I could see RGB protocol standards for Mice and KB being a thing, and maybe having a single/handful of addressable for everything else like USB hubs and Chassis and everything else you can slap unicorn vomit onto.

So today's the day we find out if we'll finally see AMD compete with Nvidia. Exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

So today's the day we find out if we'll finally see AMD compete with Nvidia. Exciting.

If they have stock then they will be well on the way, 30 series seem to be largely vapourware unless you get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The way I'm looking at it is if the AMD cards are close, or perform on par with the 3070/3080 cards, then that may cause some cancellations of Nvidia cards and free up some of the limited supply. Perhaps that's wishful thinking, but it would be good to have actual competition in the market place.
    I'm liable to stick with an Nvidia card this time round, as those RT and tensor cores really speed up 3D rendering software. If AMD have something that can compete at that level, then even better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Hopefully AMD deliver on the goods, but as always with any tech launches its advisable to take anything they say or show today with a pinch of salt until third party reviewers get there hands on these GPU's and independently confirm or disprove what they are saying.

Where another few days off that stage yet.

Advertisement