Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So 5pm here for the presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

EoinHef wrote: »
    So 5pm here for the presentation?

Nope. It should be 4pm, due to us switching to Winter time, while they're still on Summer time.

530894.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eager for this.

Have to say having plenty of time to reflect, I regret going with the RX 5700 model I did. It's just loud, obnoxiously loud. I was looking at changing out to a 3070 (I don't like changing a GPU year to year, but I'm meh about the 5700) but seeing their prices, I'd be interested to see what AMD come with today.

But a big part of me thinks I won't go AMD again for the GPU after this latest experience. The driver stuff alone with the 5700 was enough to turn me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

If AMD really have something to compete - for me that's mainly price & availability tbh, I don't think you can argue whether the nvidia cards are good but whether they're good value is unproven imo - I think Lisa Su should end the presentation saying

"10 series owners, it's safe to upgrade" :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

TheDoc wrote: »
    Eager for this.

We need AMD to stay competitive and push Nvidia. It's had a dramatic impact on Nvidia pricing, and we should cherish AMD for that.

• Advertisement

Mucashinto wrote: »
    If AMD really have something to compete - for me that's mainly price & availability tbh, I don't think you can argue whether the nvidia cards are good but whether they're good value is unproven imo - I think Lisa Su should end the presentation saying

"10 series owners, it's safe to upgrade" :pac::pac::pac:

But value is relative right?

On reflection I would have, and should have, paid more for an Nvidia card that was not like a rocket engine, and didn't have the driver issues the 5700 had.

I'll put part of that issue down to me granted, coming back to AMD after so many years with Nvidia, I wasn't familiar first hand with the partner cards. Where as with Nvidia there was two types I'd always go for and be happy with.

I can 100% for certain, scratch ever buying a XFX branded GPU ever again

JoyPad wrote: »
    We need AMD to stay competitive and push Nvidia. It's had a dramatic impact on Nvidia pricing, and we should cherish AMD for that.

I'll always cherish AMD. My first build in the late 90's and throughout the 00's were all AMD. It wasn't until they were obviously inferior that I moved to Nvidia and Intel.

They have had a good run at the moment, but it's still a tiny timeframe when you look at the wider picture of where they were at. Hopefully it is an impressive launch with good performance, pricing and availability to keep the momentum going.

Just in my circles, I was definitely the minority that went into the AMD last gen, with everyone staying Nvidia, and again most people already are going Nvidia not even bothering to wait for AMD launch this time. It's obviously just personal experience and my own circles I move in, but that does influence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'll always cherish AMD. My first build in the late 90's and throughout the 00's were all AMD. It wasn't until they were obviously inferior that I moved to Nvidia and Intel.

They have had a good run at the moment, but it's still a tiny timeframe when you look at the wider picture of where they were at. Hopefully it is an impressive launch with good performance, pricing and availability to keep the momentum going.

Just in my circles, I was definitely the minority that went into the AMD last gen, with everyone staying Nvidia, and again most people already are going Nvidia not even bothering to wait for AMD launch this time. It's obviously just personal experience and my own circles I move in, but that does influence.

I will never forget my first AMD duron 750, overclocked and paired with a 16mb Voodoo 3d card. It was a different class back then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Kimbot wrote: »
    I will never forget my first AMD duron 750, overclocked and paired with a 16mb Voodoo 3d card. It was a different class back then :)

Mine was a K6II 450 I think. My first ever PC! Paired with a Voodoo 3200 16Mb card also....going from software rendering in Half Life, to hardware...Ill still never forget it :o

I've only ever had AMG gpu's for specific purposes, like needing 15Khz out for an arcade cabinet...I don't recall ever owning a full on gaming one. I too eagerly await todays reveal....I'm still not gone on the idea given the driver issues they've had, and Nvidia being superior when it comes to emulation (higher end stuff like PS3, Wii U & Switch etc)....but I'd LOVE an all red build for my next one. So fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Yeah you’re right, that value is completely personal to me. Depending on what AMD show I may be hammering F5 tomorrow to give nvidia money for the 3070. Just that 8gb has me really hesitant. Not to be “ugh, this one has moar” but if I spend €550 for a card to find it’s unnecessarily bottlenecked in two years I’ll be absolutely fuming at myself tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Yeah you’re right, that value is completely personal to me. Depending on what AMD show I may be hammering F5 tomorrow to give nvidia money for the 3070. Just that 8gb has me really hesitant. Not to be “ugh, this one has moar” but if I spend €550 for a card to find it’s unnecessarily bottlenecked in two years I’ll be absolutely fuming at myself tbh.

8 gigs won't do it for me this time. If you are upgrading every 2/3 years i would go for a card with at least 12 gigs of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On reflection I would have, and should have, paid more for an Nvidia card that was not like a rocket engine, and didn't have the driver issues the 5700 had.

I'll put part of that issue down to me granted, coming back to AMD after so many years with Nvidia, I wasn't familiar first hand with the partner cards. Where as with Nvidia there was two types I'd always go for and be happy with.

I can 100% for certain, scratch ever buying a XFX branded GPU ever again

Eh. Nvidia has driver problems too. Look at all those stories of crashing 3080s and power spikes.

—-

AMD has announced the intend to buy up Xilinx, a chip manufacturer specializing in SOCs and chips that can be reprogrammed after production.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amd-agrees-to-buy-rival-chip-maker-xilinx-for-35-billion-11603794663

Felt like the right time to invest so I have an order in for a share of AMD this morning.

Yeah from my end, as I've made a conscious decision not to bother with 1440p gaming, there is a certain reality where I don't NEED to keep getting onto the latest gen.

But as we all probably know, you see a new card drop where the benchmarks are incredibly higher than your one, and you can't help yourself :D

The Nvidia 1070 was probably the best card I've had in a longtime, when I replaced it last year, it was just because I had built a new PC and said ****it I'll try an AMD again.

But if I hadn't of sold it to help fund, I would have put the 1070 back into the new rig and send the 5700 back for a refund. Performance wise it's great, but then again maybe it's not, I don't know anymore. Fans going MENTAL when playing most modern games, maybe tells me its no the most efficent card out there.

Overheal wrote: »
    Eh. Nvidia has driver problems too. Look at all those stories of crashing 3080s and power spikes.

—-

AMD has announced the intend to buy up Xilinx, a chip manufacturer specializing in SOCs and chips that can be reprogrammed after production.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amd-agrees-to-buy-rival-chip-maker-xilinx-for-35-billion-11603794663

Felt like the right time to invest so I have an order in for a share of AMD this morning.

I really havn't been finger on the pulse with the recent Nvidia launch, because the prices to me were laughable. Only when I saw a 3070 model yesterday I said I'd take a snoop, as their 1070 was probably the best card I ever owned.

But when I got my 5700 and friends went down the 2XXX series from Nvidia, it was me with the constant issues and they had nothing to note.

—-

They've a site in CityWest I think, hoping that a buyout would be followed by investment and not scaling back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

JoyPad wrote: »

Has it? €600 3070's suggest otherwise.

The FE pricing means nothing, they don't exist.

I really havn't been finger on the pulse with the recent Nvidia launch, because the prices to me were laughable. Only when I saw a 3070 model yesterday I said I'd take a snoop, as their 1070 was probably the best card I ever owned.

But when I got my 5700 and friends went down the 2XXX series from Nvidia, it was me with the constant issues and they had nothing to note.

I mean experiences are relative and personal. I'm forgiving of driver issues, far less of trying to pull one over and continuing to ship cards you knew were bad. Either chip maker I could forgive for drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I mean experiences are relative and personal. I'm forgiving of driver issues, far less of trying to pull one over and continuing to ship cards you knew were bad. Either chip maker I could forgive for drivers.

Yeah most companies can get drivers wrong at some point. I'm still wary of Nvidia after their GTX 970 "4GB ram" debacle. No doubt the 3000 series are good performers but it doesn't really seem to be the leap the 1000 or 2000 series were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

circadian wrote: »
    No doubt the 3000 series are good performers but it doesn't really seem to be the leap the 1000 or 2000 series were.

I'd argue the opposite. On paper* the 3000 series are a return to the (sort of) value the 2000 series lacked. A 47% performance uplift at 1440p and 68% at 2160p over the 2080 show just how overpriced it was at launch for the relative performance offered.

*That comparison is based on MSRP and seeing as you can't actually buy a 3080 right now for anything close to that, it's not really valid.

If AMD have a 3080 competitor though, the technological leap on their side will be astounding. Moving from a 5700XT to 3080 levels of performance in one generation is something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not really, the 5700xt was never anything more than a mid range card.

It's a 250mm square die. They could have made something higher end if they wanted to back then.

I have no idea why they didn't as first gen Navi was super competitive with Nvidias offerings.

100% agree with the 2000 series being 1 of the worst generational leaps ever outside of some innovation that didn't really work with underpowered tensor and rt cores.

• Advertisement

1.5 hours! Drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Didn't even make an effort at this point with the RTX3080 or 3070, will probably get Big Navi just to support AMD, assuming the price is right. Got burned bad with the launch 5700XT, but I'll give them one more chance.

Sold my 2070 Super anyway, so will need something soon-ish. Using a 1660 Super at the moment which is decent enough so there's no major rush.

Homelander wrote: »
    Didn't even make an effort at this point with the RTX3080 or 3070, will probably get Big Navi just to support AMD, assuming the price is right. Got burned bad with the launch 5700XT, but I'll give them one more chance.

Sold my 2070 Super anyway, so will need something soon-ish. Using a 1660 Super at the moment which is decent enough so there's no major rush.

looked up that card. Gave linus a lot of drama lol

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Homelander wrote: »

I was going to wait but bought a 3080FE today as I had the chance and I honestly can't be arsed dealing with AMD drivers after the problems I had with the 5700XT which lasted a total of 3 days before I returned it because it wrecked my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I had a 5700 XT from launch and never had any issue and I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 or 2 more here on boards.ie that had no issues either. I also had a reference model and it wasn't too loud but I game with headphones on so was more oblivious to it.

I had a 5700 XT from launch and never had any issue and I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 or 2 more here on boards.ie that had no issues either. I also had a reference model and it wasn't too loud but I game with headphones on so was more oblivious to it.

Mine was an XFX something or other and it was loud and hot, but the main problem was the sheer annoyance of the Radeon software

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mine was an XFX something or other and it was loud and hot, but the main problem was the sheer annoyance of the Radeon software

Didn't GamersNexus do one or two videos on a XFX model near launch of the 5700 series and said the cooler was garbage.

If the cooler sucks can always venture into watercooling the GPU.

1 minute!

• Advertisement

Did that die picture look like two pieces of silicon connected by infinity fabric?

Advertisement