Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Impressive lineup it has to be said. I didn't think they would be so close to Nvidia in terms of performance, thought they would be nearish but would go for a steepish price undercut. Looks like they are matching Nvidia's performance and cheaper overall?

If they can sort out their supply on launch then Nvidia will be in a spot of bother this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

circadian wrote: »
    Absolutely silly to even have made that jump in fairness. It's nowhere near the performance uplift over the 3080 you'd want at that price.

looking back now Nvidia basically was forced to release 3090 because they knew they would 'lose out' to 6900XT if they didnt do that - it makes sense now seeing it is not really a titan class card but with that price tag. The high price tag of 3090 is probably priced in to mitigate nvidia's revenue loss due to supply issue.

In fairness the outcome shouldn't be surprising because AMD previous gen cards are truly mid tier cards ('meh'), fair play to them for having good plannings and damn proper money into the R&D.

Now just don't screw up the supply and also....the drivers lol. What a year for the industry truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Be interesting to see if people figure out a way to flash the 6900 bios to the 6800xt seeing as they are the same silicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I assume the prices shown are the usual American ex tax price so we have to add on 21%. Cause those prices look good but then it's like bam you forgot the sensible world adds tax before sale and they aren't as nice looking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I assume the prices shown are the usual American ex tax price so we have to add on 21%. Cause those prices look good but then it's like bam you forgot the sensible world adds tax before sale and they aren't as nice looking :pac:

Nope. The taxation is different but the pricing ends up around the same in euro as it is in dollars. Sometimes even a little lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Next question is where to pre-order. I used to get everything from Overchargers UK but not with how they handled the RTX shortages. Within a few hours of launch some cards had gone up by £100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Given the leaks from partner manufacturers it looks like these are good for overclocking. Wonder if anyone is going to drop an AIO version of the 6800xt with higher clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I wasn't expecting a 3090 competitor at all. Most of the predictions were for them to come close to or slightly beat the 3080, not the 3090 so that's definitely a welcome surprise. Looks like there'll be true competition in the GPU space once more, it's become very boring with Nvidia dominating everything the last few years.

It's not the HD 4000 series moment I was kind of hoping for with huge undercutting of Nvidia on price, but at least there is a good bit of undercutting going on. Hopefully the huge price hike between 2080 Ti & 3090 will end up looking silly once the benchmarks hit.

Although I'm not planning on buying into this generation (AMD or Nvidia). I'm having no trouble gaming at 1440p with the 5700XT I have so I'll hang on to that for another year minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Homelander wrote: »
    Next question is where to pre-order. I used to get everything from Overchargers UK but not with how they handled the RTX shortages. Within a few hours of launch some cards had gone up by £100.

They've been at that for years, did it as far back as the 1080 launch too when I was looking for one. ZEN 3 prices have been creeping up on there over the last few weeks as well. Always cite sterling weakness but that never seems to affect their competitors.

Guess Navi showing extra performance when paired with a a ZEN 3 cpu is going to make it more difficult for me to nab a 5900x!

Everyone keeps blathering on about drivers as if the consoles were not optimised AMD rigs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

.G. wrote: »
    They've been at that for years, did it as far back as the 1080 launch too when I was looking for one. ZEN 3 prices have been creeping up on there over the last few weeks as well. Always cite sterling weakness but that never seems to affect their competitors.

Plus the fact they are owned by CASEKING.DE iirc....they could easily have a work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

6800 for me. I don't plan on upgrading until next January so that should be enough time for a plethora of third party cards to come out and be reviewed.

5600X + 6800 is going to be a great value combo for solid 1440p & entry level 4k gaming.

I'm interested to see how all these different variables they've thrown into the mix, smart memory access, rage mode etc. will be handled in third party reviews.

What will the differential be versus b450 or Intel setups? What is the sweet spot for ram clocks? Finally some real competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Everyone keeps blathering on about drivers as if the consoles were not optimised AMD rigs...

Console software and windows drivers are totally different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Scan would be my shout. The way they handled the 3080 preorders was pretty decent in terms of updates and also capping them at reasonable numbers once it became aware that the stock didn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Console software and windows drivers are totally different things.

Every dev house will be working on AMD infrastructure, they will know the relative strengths and weaknesses very early in every dev cycle.
    It is not going to be that minority card which they have to figure out, it's going to be the dominant player this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Every dev house will be working on AMD infrastructure, they will know the relative strengths and weaknesses very early in every dev cycle.
    It is not going to be that minority card which they have to figure out, it's going to be the dominant player this time round.

Really? Look at marketshare in the PC gpu space

Some really nice numbers,looking forward to independent reviews but the competition everyone has wanted is finally here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Well, I didn't think AMD would deliver that much performance gain so close to Nvidia's launch, and I will gladly eat my hat.
    Prices are to be expected, undercutting a competitor is only going to do so much, if the card is as good, you should really be expecting to pay as much for it. Even if it is from the underdog. Look at the pricing on the new CPU's for an example. They are priced to compete, for the consumer and the shareholders, thats business.

That said, they delivered a card that beats the 3090, for 500 quid LESS! I know the performance uplift from 3080-90 has been shown to be pretty much not worth the investment, but this is probably a more resonable premium to pay.

Same performance for two thirds of the price, absolute ballers.

I can't wait to see real world bench marks

EoinHef wrote: »
    Really? Look at marketshare in the PC gpu space

Some really nice numbers,looking forward to independent reviews but the competition everyone has wanted is finally here!

Again factor in the consoles and the devs will be surrounded by AMD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Anyone waiting for an Nvidia GPU might suddenly find the stock situation improving if loads of folk cancel their pre orders!

• Advertisement

jebidiah wrote: »
    Well, I didn't think AMD would deliver that much performance gain so close to Nvidia's launch, and I will gladly eat my hat.
    Prices are to be expected, undercutting a competitor is only going to do so much, if the card is as good, you should really be expecting to pay as much for it. Even if it is from the underdog. Look at the pricing on the new CPU's for an example. They are priced to compete, for the consumer and the shareholders, thats business.

That said, they delivered a card that beats the 3090, for 500 quid LESS! I know the performance uplift from 3080-90 has been shown to be pretty much not worth the investment, but this is probably a more resonable premium to pay.

Same performance for two thirds of the price, absolute ballers.

I can't wait to see real world bench marks

The CPUs are a generation further along though. This will be the last undercutting generation, from AMD, if they follow Ryzen pattern

Again factor in the consoles and the devs will be surrounded by AMD

They were surrounded by AMD last gen of consoles too,yet the gap in marketshare is massive now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

.G. wrote: »
    Anyone waiting for an Nvidia GPU might suddenly find the stock situation improving if loads of folk cancel their pre orders!

Would say there'll be a push by Nvidia too to try and get as much stock out as possible in the next 2 weeks.

Sure just look at the founder edition drop today, perfectly timed at half 2 right before the AMD reveal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There was some youtuber who had a whole conspiracy theory video about nVidia being ready to flood the marked the day after this launch. It will be interesting to see!

There was some youtuber who had a whole conspiracy theory video about nVidia being ready to flood the marked the day after this launch. It will be interesting to see!

Doesnt really make any sense to do that to me,if they had the stock they could have sold it all,now people will go AMD not just because of stock but because price and performance is good enough to give them genuine options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

OK? The consoles were 100% AMD last time around as well, didn't stop AMD from having a lot of sub-par driver releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Only $70 between the 6800 and the XT version makes it easy choice.... XT incoming asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd say the reality is that, tomorrow, anyone who wants to pay more for a slower card will be able to find one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Wishful thinking but a bundle would be nice like for example a Ryzen 7 5600x with a 6800xt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

OK? The consoles were 100% AMD last time around as well, didn't stop AMD from having a lot of sub-par driver releases.

Yea but they were different CPU cores and GPU cores. This time both consoles and PC GPU's are using the same graphics chip(well the consoles are using a cut down version) but pretty much the same. I'm not sure is the consoles are using Zen 2 or Zen 3 CPU cores though.

Advertisement