Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah I would not be so readily dismissing the work AMD has clearly done here to make big strides in CPU/GPU and even paired CPU+GPU performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There was some youtuber who had a whole conspiracy theory video about nVidia being ready to flood the marked the day after this launch. It will be interesting to see!

Doesn't make any sense to me. People are / were eager to get their hands on 3080 / 3090. If they had bought and received them then they wouldn't be in the market to buy AMD.

There has been hype around Big Navi but to be honest most enthusiasts were hoping AMD would have a value card that was closeish to catching the 3080. Now we learn that not only have they caught the 3080, but they might have caught the 3090 too.

The launch has been far from ideal for Nvidia. I'd say they wanted to get out ahead of AMD hoping to catch the early adopters and enthusiasts. The stock situation hasn't allowed that though, looks like they can thank Samsung for that. A botched launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Very impressive stuff. Fair play AMD!

Probably going to give this gen a miss. Having reflected on it today (although that ****ING CARD is blowing like crazy as I type as I have COD in the background) don't think I can justify a swopout not even a year into my 5700. Although who knows, maybe when the real world testing comes out it will be so hugely ahead I'll do what I did last time and just impulse buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Just to clarify - not saying I agree with the youtube conspiracy theories - just presenting them to the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Playing AoE3DE at the moment... zero cause to upgrade GPU....but I kinda want to smash that buy button tomorrow(?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

ED E wrote: »
    Playing AoE3DE at the moment... zero cause to upgrade GPU....but I kinda want to smash that buy button tomorrow(?).

Middle of November for launch date for the 6800/XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So another 2 weeks and a bit,with so little available to do during lockdown besides college it feels like its taking forever to get all these launches and cards released AND stocked.

So at the start of December you MAY be able to go online and just buy a GPU you like the look of,some sanity restored hopefully:P

At the moment I'm actually leaning toward the 6900XT over a 3080. The question is will nvidia announce anything to compete at the $1000 msrp.

Cant see them lowering the price of the 3090 so it would probably be a 3080 variant. A 20gb 3080 Ti/Super ptlr whatever their marketing asses decide to call it. But that would mean waiting longer again so ye,the 6900XT at €1000 might be for me

Also yup I know the 6900XT is not till December,that would be fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, that's an impressive lineup.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any news will the smart memory access work on 4** boards?
    Would love to swap 5 for 6xt, with later upgrade of cpu, staying on the same board would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Welcome back. :)

k38cpa5rvvv51.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Any news will the smart memory access work on 4** boards?
    Would love to swap 5 for 6xt, with later upgrade of cpu, staying on the same board would be nice.

I think they stated 5 series boards only, so I doubt 4 series will work with them.

I wonder if that will include the A520?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Fair play AMD, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

where will the xts be on sale, does AMD sell cards direct to consumers?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Im pretty new to pc gaming maybe 5 years but the nvidia and amd rivalry is currently worse than the console wars. My youtube is now flooded with amd killing nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BArra wrote: »
    where will the xts be on sale, does AMD sell cards direct to consumers?

They had the RX 5700 series but you'll probably need to buy from online retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Im pretty new to pc gaming maybe 5 years but the nvidia and amd rivalry is currently worse than the console wars. My youtube is now flooded with amd killing nvidia.
    That's the fanboys. For the AMD fanboys, I guess this gives them something to rant about besides calling Intel "Shintel." I'm as stoked as anyone that AMD is upping its game but some of the fanboy nonsense is OTT and silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

z0oT wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting a 3090 competitor at all. Most of the predictions were for them to come close to or slightly beat the 3080, not the 3090 so that's definitely a welcome surprise. Looks like there'll be true competition in the GPU space once more, it's become very boring with Nvidia dominating everything the last few years.

It's not the HD 4000 series moment I was kind of hoping for with huge undercutting of Nvidia on price, but at least there is a good bit of undercutting going on. Hopefully the huge price hike between 2080 Ti & 3090 will end up looking silly once the benchmarks hit.

Although I'm not planning on buying into this generation (AMD or Nvidia). I'm having no trouble gaming at 1440p with the 5700XT I have so I'll hang on to that for another year minimum.

Honestly, having looked at the benchmarks for the 6900XT its heavily overclocked (Rage mode and Smart Memory Access) and performs more or less on par with a stock 3090. So realistically speaking it would not be unreasonable to state that the 6900XT in vanilla mode is slightly under the 3090. Albeit with a lower price and TDP.

Dont get me wrong I am delighted that AMD have a fantastic card lineup and the only winner here is the END USER!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Honestly, having looked at the benchmarks for the 6900XT its heavily overclocked (Rage mode and Smart Memory Access) and performs more or less on par with a stock 3090. So realistically speaking it would not be unreasonable to state that the 6900XT in vanilla mode is slightly under the 3090. Albeit with a lower price and TDP.

Dont get me wrong I am delighted that AMD have a fantastic card lineup and the only winner here is the END USER!

The wrinkle there is Nvidia cards apparently aren’t over clocking that well. Because GDDR6X doesn’t like it?

Also the way they made it sound this performance is sort of out of the box, ‘one touch overclocking’ utility etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Why is the 6800 priced at $580? It's such a weird price point. It's faster than the 3070 sure, but $580 puts it so close to the $650 6800 XT you might as well go for that.

Is that the thinking behind it? If you're spending that much on a graphics card you're going to spend $70 more to get the full fat experience.

I know these are just starting points and real world prices will vary considerably, but people who don't want to fork out $650 are definitely going to choose a $500 3070 over a $580 6800 (I realise 3070's are essentially vaporware at this point in time).

It just seems strange not to take the monetary hit and compete directly at the $500 price point, even if it's just on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Simi wrote: »
    Why is the 6800 priced at $580? It's such a weird price point. It's faster than the 3070 sure, but $580 puts it so close to the $650 6800 XT you might as well go for that.

Is that the thinking behind it? If you're spending that much on a graphics card you're going to spend $70 more to get the full fat experience.

I know these are just starting points and real world prices will vary considerably, but people who don't want to fork out $650 are definitely going to choose a $500 3070 over a $580 6800 (I realise 3070's are essentially vaporware at this point in time).

It just seems strange not to take the monetary hit and compete directly at the $500 price point, even if it's just on paper.

There will most likely be a 6700 and lower cards at some point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Simi wrote: »

In AMDs eyes the 6800 is better than the 3070 - it performs better than a 2080ti and it has 16Gb ram - 2 things the 3070 doesn't have.

A 6700 with 8Gb/16gb for $450 would be a direct 3070 competitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

There will most likely be a 6700 and lower cards at some point.

I'm sure there will be but the 6800 would appear to be the direct competitor to the 3070. It's weird that the launch price is $80 more.

I'm sure pricing for both will be fairly fluid after launch it just strikes me as odd. Maybe Nvidia dropped the price of the 3070 at the last minute? Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

I'm wondering if the 6800 can be flashed with a 6800 XT BIOS, just like most 5700's can be flashed to 5700 XT. It's probably identical hardware, at least on the reference designs. This might also go some way to explaining the close pricing.

MugsGame wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the 6800 can be flashed with a 6800 XT BIOS, just like most 5700's can be flashed to 5700 XT. It's probably identical hardware, at least on the reference designs. This might also go some way to explaining the close pricing.

The 6800 has 20 less compute units and probably a very different power delivery as a result so I wouldn't bank on it.

It's more likely that the 6800xt could be flashed with the 6900xt bios as they have the same GPU and the same number of CUs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 6900 is very tempting but I have a g-sync monitor. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 6800 has 20 less compute units and probably a very different power delivery as a result so I wouldn't bank on it.

It's more likely that the 6800xt could be flashed with the 6900xt bios as they have the same GPU and the same number of CUs.

The 6800 has 12 less CU than the 6800XT (60 and 72 respectively). The 6900XT has 80.

The 6800 has 12 less CU than the 6800XT (60 and 72 respectively). The 6900XT has 80.

I misrememberedededed. They'll probably not be compatible either way so.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Fair enough, I misremembered too.

It was probably the 6800 XT vs 6900 XT I was thinking of, they're pretty close, and have the same power envelope. Probably they're binning GPUs like they do CPUs but I still wonder if the disabled CUs could be unlocked on the 6800 XT via BIOS update. I'm sure it won't be long before someone tries this :)

• Advertisement

MugsGame wrote: »
    Fair enough, I misremembered too.

It was probably the 6800 XT vs 6900 XT I was thinking of, they're pretty close, and have the same power envelope. Probably they're binning GPUs like they do CPUs but I still wonder if the disabled CUs could be unlocked on the 6800 XT via BIOS update. I'm sure it won't be long before someone tries this :)

If it's possible we'll know pretty soon after launch anyway.
    Would be cool.

Advertisement