Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

EoinHef wrote: »
    I thought that was their reference models?

AMD allows brands to sell the reference model ie you can buy a reference model from Asus

the cards we've seen thus far, AMD branded, are the equlivant of the Nvidia FE's, they will be sold be AMD through sites like Amazon, Scan, CCL etc.

"Reference cards" are just cards built to the spec given to partners by AMD as a template for the minimum requirements for production. Most of the current batch of 3090, 3080, and 3070 cards produced by companies like Zotac, Asus, EVGA, etx are "reference" cards, the reference refers to the layout of things like VRAM, mosfets, caps etc and min specs for them. the idea being the spacing and heights are all the same, which is why EK make waterblocks for "reference" cards so they can cover as many partner models as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

the cards we've seen thus far, AMD branded, are the equlivant of the Nvidia FE's, they will be sold be AMD through sites like Amazon, Scan, CCL etc.

"Reference cards" are just cards built to the spec given to partners by AMD as a template for the minimum requirements for production. Most of the current batch of 3090, 3080, and 3070 cards produced by companies like Zotac, Asus, EVGA, etx are "reference" cards, the reference refers to the layout of things like VRAM, mosfets, caps etc and min specs for them. the idea being the spacing and heights are all the same, which is why EK make waterblocks for "reference" cards so they can cover as many partner models as possible.

I mean like in the pic below,AMD give reference cards to partners to sell,it doesn't work like Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Yep. My MSI Radeon Vii is no different from any other Radeon Vii, I think nvidia partners always create their own cooling design.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Speaking of old cards, I put my R9 390 in while I wait for the launch and - well at 1080p at least, it runs whatever I throw at it on ultra. My ol CPU was just a big bottleneck. I may just wait a while longer for the in depth reviews and the vendor cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Overheal wrote:
    Speaking of old cards, I put my R9 390 in while I wait for the launch and - well at 1080p at least, it runs whatever I throw at it on ultra. My ol CPU was just a big bottleneck. I may just wait a while longer for the in depth reviews and the vendor cards.

I only have a 1080 screen and a 5700xt so no need for me to upgrade in the near future I think

a new screen will necessitate a new graphics card so I can go 4k/high frames

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Overheal wrote: »

That’s what I’m doing. Have my PC components ordered but will be chucking the old Asus GTX 750 ti in there till the madness dies down and I can buy a new card normally.

The 750 ti has served me very well for a budget card. Still plays modern games on medium settings (some on high). But I knew its time had come when I tried to play RE 7 on it and it was like watching a slide show even on low settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I only have a 1080 screen and a 5700xt so no need for me to upgrade in the near future I think

a new screen will necessitate a new graphics card so I can go 4k/high frames

Still think 4k is on the cutting edge where you really need bleeding edge hardware to get a good high fps experience. Even then there's still demanding games that won't go that high. DLSS helps I'm sure.

High refresh 4k monitors are also crazy expensive still. £800+ There's new ones on the way next year year though that will bring the price down to around €600.

I still think 1440p high refresh is the way to go or 3440x1440 UW.

I do have a 4K HDR TV though, and Rise of The Tomb Raider, while a modest 30~60+ FPS on max settings via R9 390, does scream like it would look a load better in 4K HDR. The game has a lot of high detail foliage especially, that has a lot of 'screen door' effect. So I'm still going to have my eye on a pretty RX 6800 card or summat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

BloodBath wrote:
    I still think 1440p high refresh is the way to go or 3440x1440 UW.

yeah I have a 27 inch 1080 monitor at the moment and dont see a huge amount to entice me to upgrade it in the near future, I have been looking at the UW monitors but i wont be shelling out 4 to 500 euro for something either

So hype for riftbreaker. the preview demo, Prelude, is on steam now.

Also has ARGB keyboard support

• Advertisement

fergus1001 wrote: »
    yeah I have a 27 inch 1080 monitor at the moment and dont see a huge amount to entice me to upgrade it in the near future, I have been looking at the UW monitors but i wont be shelling out 4 to 500 euro for something either

The LG GL850 was on sale recently for as little as €350. It's 1 of the best 27" 1440p/144hz monitors on the market and a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

BloodBath wrote: »
    The LG GL850 was on sale recently for as little as €350. It's 1 of the best 27" 1440p/144hz monitors on the market and a bargain at that price.

Thats an amazing price, I paid €475 for mine 3 weeks ago.

Very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Very happy with it.

I snagged one from overclockers UK for around 350 Sterling. Delighted with it, massive upgrade for me.

Very happy with it.

It is, I'm raging I couldn't snag one. My funds were tied up in my Dell S2721DGFA order which still shows no signs of being dispatched and cost me €433.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I sold my 4k 60Hz HDR Tv and bought a new 2020 LG model that is 4k 120Hz HDMI 2.1 VRR HDR. I still do not know which card to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I sold my 4k 60Hz HDR Tv and bought a new 2020 LG model that is 4k 120Hz HDMI 2.1 VRR HDR. I still do not know which card to get.

The LG OLED48CX6LB ?

I think this is what im going to be getting as well, how are you finding it? Is it not to big and provide some pictures in pics thread

Headshot wrote: »
    The LG OLED48CX6LB ?

I think this is what im going to be getting as well, how are you finding it? Is it not to big and provide some pictures in pics thread

No I got a cheaper Nanocell Tv. I was looking at that originally but my source of income took a hit so had to look at a cheaper non OLED model.

I was also reading about launch problems with that Tv on reddit. I think it was problems with he new Nvidia cards but those issues are probably solved by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No I got a cheaper Nanocell Tv. I was looking at that originally but my source of income took a hit so had to look at a cheaper non OLED model.

I was also reading about launch problems with that Tv on reddit. I think it was problems with he new Nvidia cards but those issues are probably solved by now.

Never heard of the Nanocell but a quick google says its 55" which to big for me unfortunately

Ye I'm pretty sure LG released a firmware update that fixed it,should be ok.

So 5 days to the 18th,what day will reviews be out? The 17th is it?

Up to my eyeballs with college work so doubt I'll have the time to sit round waiting to try get one early,if reviews are very good I might just have to squeeze some time in.

Two things I'm lookin for,how they run with an intel system,seeing as I'm on a 9700K. And the sort of temps they run at.

I want a cool running card regardless if its AMD or Nvidia.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Never heard of the Nanocell but a quick google says its 55" which to big for me unfortunately

You can get a 49inch model which I got.

It's much the same specs as my old TV but with HDMI 2.1 and VRR. Same size and rest of specs are the same.

edit: Oh yea it's also 120Hz

532832.jpg

6800 unboxing, embargo for reviews lifting on release day, the 18th for reference models. Custom cards come on the 25th.

Looks like it's going to be a paper launch like Nvidias cards as well with very limited stock.

Lovely looking cards, shame about the plain looking backplates. At least it's aluminum though.

Its ****ty stopping reviewers from giving is independent benches before launch day.

They should allow the day before as a minimum. I won't be looking to buy any card before I see at least some reviews so guess I might aswell forget these new cards till the 25th at the earliest

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

EoinHef wrote: »
    Its ****ty stopping reviewers from giving is independent benches before launch day.

They should allow the day before as a minimum. I won't be looking to buy any card before I see at least some reviews so guess I might aswell forget these new cards till the 25th at the earliest

I'm not in the market for one of these cards (I'll probably go with a RTX 3060 or RX6600/6700 card when they get released) but if I was this type of thing would put me off buying day 1. It makes you worry that they are not as good as they are made out to be and they are trying to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I'm not in the market for one of these cards (I'll probably go with a RTX 3060 or RX6600/6700 card when they get released) but if I was this type of thing would put me off buying day 1. It makes you worry that they are not as good as they are made out to be and they are trying to hide it.

That is such a stupid end game tactic, all they are doing is preventing being found out for a DAY!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

That is such a stupid end game tactic, all they are doing is preventing being found out for a DAY!!!! :rolleyes:

Didnt Nvidia basically do it though, like they released the reviews a day before hand and some of their claims ie faster than a 2080ti and 2x faster than a 2080ti were well a little over the top, so i wouldnt put it past AMD to do it too.

I do have to agree reviews being released on launch day sucks (regardless if its parts games movies though its usually a bad sign in the second 2) and is IMO a bit anti consumer, not giving people a chance to see real world vs cherry picked results.
    Allowing them to do some proper research before the attempt to press F5 for a day. Then again people dont have to buy day one but sure we are all a little impatient here :p

I will be interested in seeing how the cards perform on a non zen 3 5000 series x570/b55o board combo I have no shares in AMDs launch since getting a 3070, im happy out im just interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

For their unboxing Hardware Canucks decided to make a secksie build.
    I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Yeah - the news cycle on both sets of cards has been pretty irritating, but all hardware launches are getting like that now - after years of trying to stop leaks, companies have come to accommodate the expectation and feed the leakers - has been particularly true of smartphones for a long time now, and we're in an endless "hype cycle" that lasts months to stoke demand.

On the other hand, as we can see from all the day1 oversubscription launches in the last few months, we're our own worst enemy on this stuff.

Its hard to know,the year thats in it has created some strange market conditions.

I think the oversubscription also has a lot to do with it being 2020.

Its hard to believe two companies the size of Nvidia and AMD would purposely hamstring themselves,at the end of the day the more they sell,the more money they make.

I'm sure they would love to capitalise more on demand but it just hasn't happened.

Which then leads to frustrated customers being in a fever pitch trying to get there hands on a new gpu.

I see similar happening wit the new consoles,lookin at buying a laptop for college,same there,loads of them sold out.

2020 is just ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Supply issues and Covid certainly haven't helped, but instant sellouts are also a way of keeping the hype up. "Sold out in minutes" = "oooh they must be amazing, everyone is desperate to get one." It used to be only kids toys at christmas that tactic was used, but it's absolutely standard on smartphone launches. In fact, if you don't "sell out at launch" then your stock goes down - stockbrokers and algos not caring that you're "sold out" because you're deliberately gimping inventory.

Advertisement