Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just got an email from Ebuyer 30 mins ago, might have bagged an MSI 6800XT....fingers crossed I will know more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Judging by the results on oame of the new console titles, Dirt 5 being the standout, then these cards could age well. I think anything developed for the new consoles, Xbox in particular will most likely see some very good optimised performance on the desktop. AMD seem to have dropped Vulkan to work closer with micorosft on xbox/DX12. Raytrwcing on these cards might actually improve on anything that hasn't been developed with nvidia alongside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sounds like today went as expected,the leaks all told us there was gonna be very few reference models going today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

BloodBath wrote: »
    There's 13.5gb of available vram on the consoles. It's only using 2.5 for the OS.

Compression technology's come into play as well so maybe Nvidia isn't as bad as it seems either. Time will tell.

Yes but also minus game code, sound, ops buffers, static assets like maps/inventory etc. There are a lot of things going to take up that 13.5 usable aswell as GPU specifics. Take for example The Division 2, it uses about 8GB of system ram on mine and close to the same in VRAM at 4k, so 16GB on a 2 year old game. DirectStorage and it's console equivalents will help since low-latency asset streaming will be much more feasible but again shared mem will mean that console typically will be allocating close to or less than 10GB for GPU exclusive use imho. I think that is why Nvidia thought they could get away with it on the first Ampere batch, not ever believing it truly was a good long term design but there likely will not be anything that pushes beyond that new lowest-common-denominator until they have better memory supply and larger sets are affordable enough to compete with AMD again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I think 12gb would be a comfortable middle ground. 16 is overkill unless doing content creation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I think 12gb would be a comfortable middle ground. 16 is overkill unless doing content creation.

It's not aesthetic. 2^4 GB, baby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what are the general prices coming in at for the 6800 and XT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

z0oT wrote: »
    It does look like we have genuine competition in the GPU market once more, which is long overdue.

I wasn't planning on an upgrade this generation (happy @ 1440p with the 5700XT), but I can feel that upgrade bug biting again now looking at reviews.

Very long overdue. Not sure where Intel will get to with Xe, but apple certainly put the cat among the pigeons other other day with the m1: a 22w 8 core part giving the 560x / 1650 a run for its money. https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested/3. The only positive for amd and Intel is that apple won't sell those chips to anyone else. Hopefully next year there will be some decent parts out in the price range that actually generates the bulk of sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That M1 chip is an ARM chip so a clear move from the x86 architecture.
    I wonder will it take over eventually?
    I have no interest in any Apple products but its a sign of things to come I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Skerries wrote: »
    what are the general prices coming in at for the 6800 and XT?

I saw the price for the 6800 XT at £619.99 on Scan for a couple of minutes just after 2pm, but the option to add it to my basket was not there. On Overclockers I think it was £680, the scalpers that they are!

The RRP is £599.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I saw the price for the 6800 XT at £619.99 on Scan for a couple of minutes just after 2pm, but the option to add it to my basket was not there. On Overclockers I think it was £680, the scalpers that they are!

The RRP is £599.

Just looked up the exchange rate and the UK pound is pretty strong as the exchange is pretty bad since the last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Was around 620 ish when it made its brief appearance on the websites I managed to get onto here (UK). 200 less than for an RTX 3080 for something that beats it on 1440p for FPS (DLSS and Raytracing notwithstanding).

Sounds like a winner for me, just have to wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I do hope that it's the success that it's claimed to be, not that I'm going to get one, I'm hoping it might drive down prices of the Nvidia cards by January.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I give up.

I'm saying "fúck it!" and putting €750 in my savings account instead.

Hit me next generation.

Just get a PS5.

Overheal wrote: »
    Just get a PS5.

Xbox Series X you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Sure none of those consoles can be got either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I give up.

I'm saying "fúck it!" and putting €750 in my savings account instead.

Hit me next generation.

Sad thing is i think this is going to be the new norm! next gen you will get yourself a current gen card.... if you time it right you will get it for a massive discount. Some of the 2080ti prices were very nice prior to the 30 series release.

Xbox Series X you mean.

I mean, I say this with love. I was one of the first xmas owners of an Xbox, Halo zombie levels at 3am in the morning (holy ****, was not expecting the Flood, and what a time and place for it) But then I became a PC gamer and - there's so much parity between the 2 the PS5 only makes sense. I won an Xbox 360 for free and I played it maybe 1-3 times a year. PS5 has games Im actually anxious to play like FF7 remake, and, it's just really well built. That teardown on the unit is solid.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    I mean, I say this with love. I was one of the first xmas owners of an Xbox, Halo zombie levels at 3am in the morning (holy ****, was not expecting the Flood, and what a time and place for it) But then I became a PC gamer and - there's so much parity between the 2 the PS5 only makes sense. I won an Xbox 360 for free and I played it maybe 1-3 times a year. PS5 has games Im actually anxious to play like FF7 remake, and, it's just really well built. That teardown on the unit is solid.

I have a Xbox series X and it's a pretty good console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

So what retailers - if any - are good for trying to getting these cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Its a nice summary of 2020, theres nothing, no 5xxx, no 6xxxx, no 3xxx, now we only have to wait for someone to come up and say that Santa isnt real.
    I wanted to be sneaky and buy it in small shop in my hometown, had to call them as they dont have online shop. I was already 50th on the list. F me, Ill just wait like planed in first place.
    At least we will see if this time they worked on drivers, let someone else be test subject.

Anyone watch the Hardware Canucks review and hear that coil whine at high FPS? That would drive me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The RRP is £599.

RRP is minus vat, with exchange rate differences and markup.
    Rezident wrote: »
    So what retailers - if any - are good for trying to getting these cards?

Wait 2-3 weeks, the bulk of the cards will be out by then. All you are seeing at the moment is reference cards.
    Anyone watch the Hardware Canucks review and hear that coil whine at high FPS? That would drive me nuts.

Have a vega 56 with coil whine. Its bad. Its also inaudible when I'm playing games, since the fans ramp up as well. Plus the game is always making noise or I'm wearing a headset. So its a moot point unless its at idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Was around 620 ish when it made its brief appearance on the websites I managed to get onto here (UK). 200 less than for an RTX 3080 for something that beats it on 1440p for FPS (DLSS and Raytracing notwithstanding).

Sounds like a winner for me, just have to wait...

In fairness msrp for the 3080 FE was £649.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In fairness msrp for the 3080 FE was £649.

There have been enough reports implying that the FE edition was sold at a loss and the AIB cards are not going to come down in price, since the RRP is unrealistic to the BOM cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I got a confirmed order for the RX6800 non-XT at €610 all in.

I had been planning on an XT but at this point, if the above arrives, I will just call it quits. 3 weeks later I still have an RTX3070 paid for as well, god knows if that will even arrive this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tl;dw
    Ethereum:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT: 59 MH/s
    GeForce RTX 3080: 86 MH/s

Not good for mining :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Homelander wrote: »
    I got a confirmed order for the RX6800 non-XT at €610 all in.

I had been planning on an XT but at this point, if the above arrives, I will just call it quits. 3 weeks later I still have an RTX3070 paid for as well, god knows if that will even arrive this side of Christmas.

got lucky also and got the 6800 for £523 on the AMD website

Advertisement