Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

tl;dw
    Ethereum:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT: 59 MH/s
    GeForce RTX 3080: 86 MH/s

Not good for mining :)

Mining with GPU's is pointless now anyways no? Has been for a few years at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Anyone watch the Hardware Canucks review and hear that coil whine at high FPS? That would drive me nuts.

Coil whine at high fps is pretty much the case for any gpu. What fps were we talking about? 200-300+ in something like siege at 1080p?

Who's buying these cards at 1080p?
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Mining with GPU's is pointless now anyways no? Has been for a few years at this point?

Even if it wasn't, nobody's buying high end gpu's with 320w+ of power consumption to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inquitus wrote: »

Its still the best option for a few of the cryptos.

RDNA is the gaming architecture, CDNA is the primary compute architecture. You would expect the compute chips to be much better at mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

What retailers are good for ordering GPUs to Ireland? I previously used overclockers and scan but both their sites were seemingly dead yesterday. Might try AMD site next week, is there anyone else reliable that delivers to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Rezident wrote: »
    What retailers are good for ordering GPUs to Ireland? I previously used overclockers and scan but both their sites were seemingly dead yesterday. Might try AMD site next week, is there anyone else reliable that delivers to Ireland?

I bought two 3090s from Scan, and they arrived eventually. Delivered with DPD to my door.

I also ordered stuff from CCL (cclonline.co.uk), also delivered with DPD to my door.

And now I have a 5950X on the way from awd-it.co.uk, also with DPD, but going through ParcelWizard in the N.Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Got my 3080 from Scan - ordered lunchtime on a Wednesday was here at 10:30 on Friday morning via DPD. Super efficient - no complaints.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I bought two 3090s from Scan, and they arrived eventually. Delivered with DPD to my door.

I also ordered stuff from CCL (cclonline.co.uk), also delivered with DPD to my door.

And now I have a 5950X on the way from awd-it.co.uk, also with DPD, but going through ParcelWizard in the N.Ireland.

Cheers. 2 3090s! I am drooling with jealousy. I'll try again next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

scan were quick for the 3080 fe i got very lucky to snag, ordered friday 2.15pm and delivered on monday to my door via dpd

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

BArra wrote: »
    scan were quick for the 3080 fe i got very lucky to snag, ordered friday 2.15pm and delivered on monday to my door via dpd

How much was she in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

£661.58 coverted to eurons, didnt have time to load my revolut for better conversion rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    an upcoming RX 6800M laptop-grade GPU matching the desktop RTX 2080 Ti.

giphy.gif

But without the AI hardware or the DLSS.

edit: frankly, it's the compute features on the Nvidia card that are probably why I will wind up with an RTX card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Right I'm torn so any thoughts welcome.

For me its all about image quality - Ray tracing is a big thing for me but it seems that nVidia are miles ahead here when you start putting in more than one or two RT features. On the other hand the lack of memory puts me off the 3070. Even 10GB gives me pause for thought.

The 6800 looks like the obvious pick for rasterization and memory but I just can't get over the RT performance. That said games will be designed with the RT performance of Big Navi in mind given the consoles - or will they? Will it be you get X RT feature on the console with X + Y + Z available on PC through nVidia's superior implementation?

Looking for 3440 x 1440 with a locked 60FPS.

Edit: Also VR - really hoping for big things from these scaling technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

For me its all about image quality - Ray tracing is a big thing for me but it seems that nVidia are miles ahead here when you start putting in more than one or two RT features. On the other hand the lack of memory puts me off the 3070. Even 10GB gives me pause for thought.

The 6800 looks like the obvious pick for rasterization and memory but I just can't get over the RT performance. That said games will be designed with the RT performance of Big Navi in mind given the consoles - or will they? Will it be you get X RT feature on the console with X + Y + Z available on PC through nVidia's superior implementation?

AMD is catching up nicely regarding RT and because of consoles will prioritize development accordingly .... Listening to various people on YouTube AMD has a winner with this generation of cards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Not really,big navi is quite a bit behind ampere regarding ray tracing as it stands. And thats without even using DLSS where its supported.

There's a definite trade off in either big navi or ampere. For once these decisions are not totally based on price to performance,they both have advantages and disadvantages.

4K performance,DLSS and better ray tracing for ampere.

Price being a bit better givin the performance,more VRAM and better at resolutions lower than 4K for Navi.

I'm a bit unsure myself,id love to be able mess around with ray tracing but its a bit pointless if the frame rates are garbage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The 3070 is not the Nvidia card to choose if Ray Tracing is important

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah I wouldn't be looking at the 3070 for raytracing. In all honesty, I wouldn't be buying any current gen card with raytracing in mind. Some games perform well depending on the card, Dirt 5 on the AMD cards a notable standout.

It's possible that because of DX12 raytracing and console development that the AMD cards could catch up a bit but I think it'll be another generation before you can be guaranteed of good RT performance, all these cards are still too inconsistent for my liking and games are going to become more demanding quickly due to the new console generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

You got to remember that AMD developed these cards at least 10 months ago with a goal of matching the then current ray tracing abilities of nvidia's 2000 range cards
    Nvidia are on the 2nd generation of their ray tracing and it shows..give AMD time to catch up and then we shall see..but ray tracing in itself has a long way to go before it becomes mainstream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What do folks here think the chances are of getting a 6800/6800XT in late December at a reasonable price? I'd love a Nitro (I understand these are the best custom cooled AMD cards these days, comparable to my old VaporX card in cooling performance) given these cards seem to be able to clock well.

I'd also love a 5600x at a reasonable price too by then haha but I think that's more likely tbh. (Right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Gumbi wrote: »
    What do folks here think the chances are of getting a 6800/6800XT in late December at a reasonable price? I'd love a Nitro (I understand these are the best custom cooled AMD cards these days, comparable to my old VaporX card in cooling performance) given these cards seem to be able to clock well.

I'd also love a 5600x at a reasonable price too by then haha but I think that's more likely tbh. (Right?)

Luck would play an enormous part in that beginning a reality for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Whats the RT implementation in DiRT5? Is it more heavily leaning on rasterization like Shadow of the Tomb Raider or is it multiple areas like Control?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Not sure, I believe the only RT in it is shadows and have looked at a bit of footage, its very hard to see the difference when RT is turned off. Its the only implementation of RT that seems to favor the 6800 series cards in terms of performance.
    Interestingly the 6800 series cards match Ampere cards in Watch Dog Legion in terms of raw RT performance though of course the 6800 series lack DLSS.
    Godfall only supports ray tracing on the 6800 series for the moment, but its coming for NVIDIA users as well.

From what I've seen the 6800XT is capable of running the likes of Shadow Of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus and Battlefield V with RT that average above 60FPS at 1440P. Though you would probably want a monitor with FreeSync support to help smooth out some sub 60FPS dips. You will get higher FPS on a 3080 for sure with RT turned on, but in all 3 games most would not recommend turning on DLSS as its the 1.0 version of DLSS and most would consider the loss in image sharpness to high a price to pay.

Control is one game where the 6800XT struggles. NVIDIA seem to have a performance advantage in rasterization let alone RT. You can max out the game at 1440P with a 6800XT but the average FPS is just above 30FPS, so you will likely get sub 30FPS dips, still probably smoother than base PS4/Xbox One performance though that's not saying much. With RT set to medium, where it renders only reflections and transparent reflections which are arguably the best part of RT in the game, it appears to average around 60FPS but again you will need a monitor with FreeSync to help smooth out dips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

SickBoy wrote: »
    Luck would play an enormous part in that beginning a reality for you.

Really? Darn it :( Do you think the likelihood of there being enough stock is low, or simply that I'd have to pay a bit of a premium for the privilege (in the case of either gpu or cpu)? I don't mind paying a bit of a premium but I refuse on principal to pay the current outrageous scalping prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Gumbi wrote: »
    Really? Darn it :( Do you think the likelihood of there being enough stock is low, or simply that I'd have to pay a bit of a premium for the privilege (in the case of either gpu or cpu)? I don't mind paying a bit of a premium but I refuse on principal to pay the current outrageous scalping prices.

There are still lots of people on boards still waiting on their pre ordered 3080 and 5000 series chips...

Edit: Also VR - really hoping for big things from these scaling technologies.

I want my next card to last at least 2 years and there is no way I can see 10Gb VRAM being enough for all next gen games although I do use it for VR and Alyx is already using 8-10Gb vram. 10Gb should be fine most of the time but I just never want to run out of memory again.

3090 has loads of vram if you can afford it. I'm aiming for a 6800 XT myself, if I can get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Rezident wrote:
    I want my next card to last at least 2 years and there is no way I can see 10Gb VRAM being enough for all next gen games although I do use it for VR and Alyx is already using 8-10Gb vram. 10Gb should be fine most of the time but I just never want to run out of memory again.

I play rust and it already uses 7.5 GB of Vram so this was abysmal from Nvidia

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I play rust and it already uses 7.5 GB of Vram so this was abysmal from Nvidia

It requests 7.5gb. It doesn't use it all.
    GN and others have made videos explaining all this stuff multiple times. Lots of games will request as much vram as is available but don't use anywhere near that much.

Unless you're playing 4k ultra with ray tracing you're not running out of ram at 8gb anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭circadian

It requests 7.5gb. It doesn't use it all.
    GN and others have made videos explaining all this stuff multiple times. Lots of games will request as much vram as is available but don't use anywhere near that much.

Unless you're playing 4k ultra with ray tracing you're not running out of ram at 8gb anytime soon.

Anyone buying a new card now is potentially looking at playing 4k ultra and 1440p at high frame rates. I could see the 4k consumers hitting close to or beyond 10gb requirement in a year or so with the next generation games coming out.

In saying that, I don't know if any of the current gen will cut it for rasterisation at native 4k for any reasonable length of time. It's the next generation of cards for me when RT is matured and 4k native is easily achieved.

If I was upgrading now though, I'd be going for the 6800 xt.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thing to remember about the Nvidia cards is it is GDDR6X, to it's credit, despite the supply issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone buying a new card now is potentially looking at playing 4k ultra and 1440p at high frame rates. I could see the 4k consumers hitting close to or beyond 10gb requirement in a year or so with the next generation games coming out.

In saying that, I don't know if any of the current gen will cut it for rasterisation at native 4k for any reasonable length of time. It's the next generation of cards for me when RT is matured and 4k native is easily achieved.

If I was upgrading now though, I'd be going for the 6800 xt.

You will see upscaling being used more over native. Its at the point now where DLSS could be enabled without notification and the reviewer wouldn't be aware of it.

Advertisement