Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And then there's the thing with it all boiling down to support for HDMI, and asking how much VRAM bulk capacity do you really need in one GPU?

533922.PNG

And these GPUs are putting out full tilt HDMI 2.1

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Final-HDMI-2-1-specifications-released-with-8K-10K-and-dynamic-HDR-support.267392.0.html

The only thing really worrying people then is game asset density: Anthem (2019) is a much more dense package than Knights of The Old Republic (2003)

anthem-crew.jpg
    kotor_5-100039523-large.jpg <- (if this image seems small, actually, this is really approximate to the 480p output on the original Xbox. Unlimited POWER!)

And on that front, realizing that the Console Industry tends to narrate the development of many AAA titles, and that both new consoles have 16 GB GDDR6, that is worrying. However, many titles are also driven by the state of the art in the PC space, and if an entire generation or two of Nvidia goes GDDR6X than Nvidia and/or developers will optimize for that solution. So, with that all in mind, I don't think it's a real concern for the vast majority of card buyers, unless you have a really involved station setup with more than a couple 4K and/or Ultrawide screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see reports of a 6700 XT but I'm not sure it is real yet. Obviously there will be one of these cards available at some stage but when is the question. It will probably be early 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It requests 7.5gb. It doesn't use it all.
    GN and others have made videos explaining all this stuff multiple times. Lots of games will request as much vram as is available but don't use anywhere near that much.

Unless you're playing 4k ultra with ray tracing you're not running out of ram at 8gb anytime soon.

If you upgrade your gpu often it's not a problem. If someone's buying a high end gpu to last 2-3 years+ then no it's not going to be enough.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Thing to remember about the Nvidia cards is it is GDDR6X, to it's credit, despite the supply issues.

It doesn't make any difference, maybe for supply, but not for performance, AMD's infinity cache solution offers more effective bandwidth than gddr6x at a lower cost and lower power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

When are the AIB card due to launch is it this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    When are the AIB card due to launch is it this week?

Tomorrow, to my knowledge. As far as stock goes, I've no idea. There were suggestions by some in the know that AIB models would have several times the amount of stock, but even if that's true, they'll still be very scarce given the demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    It doesn't make any difference, maybe for supply, but not for performance, AMD's infinity cache solution offers more effective bandwidth than gddr6x at a lower cost and lower power consumption.

The cache's effect becomes negligent at 4k but makes these cards beasts at 1080p and at some point 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Looking to get a 6800xt.
    What AIB card should I be focusing my efforts on tomorrow?
    I'm prepared to spend up to €100 above reference RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SickBoy wrote: »
    Looking to get a 6800xt.

You got some form of web scraper script ready?

Shappire nitro usually tends to be a good midrange option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SickBoy wrote: »
    Looking to get a 6800xt.

Sapphire is number 1 for AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You got some form of web scraper script ready?

Shappire nitro usually tends to be a good midrange option.

I realise the chances of getting anything is slim, I've explained that to people myself.
    I just want to be focusing my effort on something worth grabbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Powercolor had a good card as well with the 5700

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

My reference 6800 got shipped today. Thank God. Was getting really frustrated with the whole rtx debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ASUS TUF gaming would be my recommendation prior to reviews and without knowing the price. All aluminium shrowd and the 30 series reviewed very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

How does the newer Nitro(nitro +?) design compare to the older, legendary vapor x design? I still have my 290x and the temps it gets, particularly on the vrms, are incredible. I can put 275 watts through it easily, more if I crank up the volts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

ASUS TUF gaming would be my recommendation prior to reviews and without knowing the price. All aluminium shrowd and the 30 series reviewed very well.

Was thinking this to match my TUF Gaming x570 Motherboard. Not that it matters.

Was thinking this to match my TUF Gaming x570 Motherrboard. Not that it matters.

If course it does!!!!1111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

I read that Sapphire are seen as a standard for AMD cards (mid-range). Who are the main players, and who are the cheaper options (Palit, Zotac equivalents)?

Is it 2pm again lads, good job I have a mechanical F5 switch for durability over the last few months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I want to try grab a card myself tomorrow but not sure I'll be able to get onto PC bang at launch time with college.

And I dont think ill be getting one of thats the case:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

6800 XT scores 1st place in world record Firestrike and Firestrike Extreme single card on LN2 with a 5950X.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/147024-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-graphics-hits-28ghz-ln2/?fbclid=IwAR2xGXvV2XimPiJ-MVIMPbEsAX6dYgBp38eGpSvmpZjZcW_H2Om0ND88jpM

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to **** on AMD, I would prefer to buy from the red team but I'm reading the 6800 series is slower than nVidia for VR - anyone any good links etc?

I'm not trying to **** on AMD, I would prefer to buy from the red team but I'm reading the 6800 series is slower than nVidia for VR - anyone any good links etc?

https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rx-6800-xt-vs-the-rtx-3080-15-vr-games-performance-benchmarked/

Overheal wrote: »
    Since they don't bother to:

Those are the normal games
    :rolleyes:

VR benchmarks are at the bottom of the page.

Those are the normal games
    :rolleyes:

VR benchmarks are at the bottom of the page.

I cared more that they didn't highlight the lead in each column, red/green is very misleading.

Any mention of times cards are going live lads?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Any mention of times cards are going live lads?

2PM I think, but I've spent all my pocket money so wont be mashing F5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Scan UK just removed the 6000 series from their filters:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-amd/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

From Gibbo at Overclockers,
    "Gibbo, wrote:
    Hi there

We shall be launching cards around 2pm to browse, but we won't be taking any orders online or via the phones sorry.

Reasoning is simply due to lack of stock and were unwilling to allow a crazy backorder situation to build up on a product that we see very little stock incoming on this year.

Any stock that does come in, we shall give a heads up on the forum before making available to order, but that is very unlikely to happen this week, more like next week.

So in short today all you can do is window shop.

Sorry guys but we get so much flak when you guys are waiting on your orders and when I have gone and ordered 50,000 units and might struggle to see a few hundred cards this side of Christmas, it is ourselves who get the blame and the negative reviews, but as we do not manufacturer the product it is out of our control and considering that we can literally take 1000+ orders per minute on these new GPU launches which then causes havoc we have to take measures to stop this happening.

As such the product won't be available to order from OcUK today, when we feel we have adequate stock to make product available to order we shall do so and announce that date/time only on our forum.

• Advertisement

Better way of doing business TBH, but does not look good for me. And I have to pick the little lad up from school at 2:15, Jaysus kids are over-rated

Advertisement