Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

What are the discords you all use to get stock alerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

xtal191 wrote: »

PartAlert

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

xtal191 wrote: »
    PartAlert
    Didn't help me though... I work from home and I have it open all day... Few alerts per day, always click in seconds, always out of stock already.
    Don't know if I was doing something wrong... :confused:
    Did check for "All buying options" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Wizard! wrote: »
    Didn't help me though... I work from home and I have it open all day... Few alerts per day, always click in seconds, always out of stock already.
    Don't know if I was doing something wrong... :confused:
    Did check for "All buying options" too.

Same here, and I have 3 other Discord stock alert groups in addition to PartAlert. Can't be more than 1-2 seconds from alert to me clicking on the link. I don't know how people are getting them. The ones on Amazon usually appear to be in stock, but when you try to buy them it just says "you have nothing in your basket"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Luck100 wrote: »
    Same here, and I have 3 other Discord stock alert groups in addition to PartAlert. Can't be more than 1-2 seconds from alert to me clicking on the link. I don't know how people are getting them. The ones on Amazon usually appear to be in stock, but when you try to buy them it just says "you have nothing in your basket"!

The only time they've ever worked for me is with the amd.com drops. But I've never made it through the checkout fast enough. All other alerts behave like above.

Last Thursday the AMD alert let me add the card to basket before it even showed as in stock on Chrome. But it still wasn't fast enough.

The 6700 XT has a decent mining hash rate and the 6800 XT's is almost identical to the 6900 XT. So the day 6700 XT launches, maybe just maybe it might be a tiny bit easier to get a 6900 XT.

I honestly never thought I'd be fighting to buy a €1050 graphics card in the few seconds it's available once a week

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

NVIDIA GeForce GPUs appear to be performing up to 30% worse than AMD Radeon GPUs when bottlenecked by older CPUs High-end NVIDIA Turing and Ampere GPUs are not friends with older CPUs, according to new findings. Apparently, the likes of the RTX 3070 and RTX 3090 struggle so much when bottlenecked by a CPU that they performance worse than AMD RDNA 1 cards, such as the Radeon RX 5700 XT.Currently, there is no full-proof explanation for what is causing this disparity between AMD and NVIDIA cards. Hardware Unboxed speculates that NVIDIA's driver requires more CPU cycles to function than AMD's driver, which results in higher CPU utilisation. This is not a problem for newer CPUs like the Ryzen 5 5600X, but it seemingly holds less powerful ones like the Ryzen 5 1600X or the Core i3-10100.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Deseras wrote: »
    NVIDIA GeForce GPUs appear to be performing up to 30% worse than AMD Radeon GPUs when bottlenecked by older CPUs High-end NVIDIA Turing and Ampere GPUs are not friends with older CPUs, according to new findings. Apparently, the likes of the RTX 3070 and RTX 3090 struggle so much when bottlenecked by a CPU that they performance worse than AMD RDNA 1 cards, such as the Radeon RX 5700 XT.Currently, there is no full-proof explanation for what is causing this disparity between AMD and NVIDIA cards. Hardware Unboxed speculates that NVIDIA's driver requires more CPU cycles to function than AMD's driver, which results in higher CPU utilisation. This is not a problem for newer CPUs like the Ryzen 5 5600X, but it seemingly holds less powerful ones like the Ryzen 5 1600X or the Core i3-10100.

Welcome back Bobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Welcome back Bobby.

one of his many disguises....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Luck100 wrote: »

I've probably clicked on thousands of links at this stage and finally managed to snag the card I want at pretty much RRP (whether I actually get the card is another matter)

I found it a bit soul destroying at first, but eventually I just decided that I only wanted a certain card and would only pay a certain amount and not a cent more. I didn't care if it took a week or year to get the card and that took all the stress out of it.

Also ended buying two AMD processor's by mistake from the alerts but thankfully AMD cancelled one of them anyway

TLDR it can be unneeded stress but if you persevere the alerts do work ... eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

doccy wrote: »
    I've probably clicked on thousands of links at this stage and finally managed to snag the card I want at pretty much RRP (whether I actually get the card is another matter)

I found it a bit soul destroying at first, but eventually I just decided that I only wanted a certain card and would only pay a certain amount and not a cent more. I didn't care if it took a week or year to get the card and that took all the stress out of it.

Also ended buying two AMD processor's by mistake from the alerts but thankfully AMD cancelled one of them anyway

TLDR it can be unneeded stress but if you persevere the alerts do work ... eventually

What card and how much did you end up paying?

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    What card and how much did you end up paying?

I tell a lie it was nowhere near RRP (whatever this is anymore), got a 3060TI for 600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

I tell a lie it was nowhere near RRP (whatever this is anymore), got a 3060TI for 600

Crazy money two years ago but these are very different times. Well done

Why the hell would you post saying you picked one up for pretty much RRP and then post a while later saying something different.

Why the hell would you post saying you picked one up for pretty much RRP and then post a while later saying something different.

why the hell would you care if some anonymous internet person gets confused when buying multiple parts for a new build from multiple sites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

why the hell would you care if some anonymous internet person gets confused when buying multiple parts for a new build from multiple sites

Handbags at the ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have just given up with the current state of things and am happily using my laptop hooked up to my monitor. If anything it's finally made me see the ridiculous waste of constantly upgrading due to want rather than actual need. I know not all of us are like that but realistically so many of us are.

I went from a 1080Ti to a 2070S and to a 3070, now I'm on a mobile 1660Ti and it plays everything I actually play perfectly. I can see myself not buying a desktop again for a good long while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've kind of given up. I'm in work but internet is crap here so I'm always a few seconds late for part alerts. Really burned me when I managed to order a 3070 and amazon cancelled on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Homelander wrote: »
    I have just given up with the current state of things and am happily using my laptop hooked up to my monitor. If anything it's finally made me see the ridiculous waste of constantly upgrading due to want rather than actual need. I know not all of us are like that but realistically so many of us are.

I went from a 1080Ti to a 2070S and to a 3070, now I'm on a mobile 1660Ti and it plays everything I actually play perfectly. I can see myself not buying a desktop again for a good long while.

I pretty much moved purely to Laptop myself too. 9750h 2060 and it plays everything I want. In fact I got cpu boost disabled as well. Had a bug to finally updated my pc last year, but thanks to this **** show, I completely gave up. Laptop will do.
    I tried to connect it to my ultrawide monitor and it worked perfectly. Was way faster then my old pc, but its very inconvenient due to space for Laptop and then messing with resolution and primary monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I pretty much moved purely to Laptop myself too. 9750h 2060 and it plays everything I want. In fact I got cpu boost disabled as well. Had a bug to finally updated my pc last year, but thanks to this **** show, I completely gave up. Laptop will do.
    I tried to connect it to my ultrawide monitor and it worked perfectly. Was way faster then my old pc, but its very inconvenient due to space for Laptop and then messing with resolution and primary monitors.

This is why I went back to a desktop! Having a wide laptop using space on the desk just wasn't feasible and the noise was unpleasant. Find for work, not for gaming.

Well I don't know what's going on with my 6900 XT. Didn't arrive so far today.

• Advertisement

Mine either (the package I received on Friday, turned out something else :( )
    But, I checked with my tracking number, from AMD's email, in Fastway page and it says 1-2 business days.

Edit: FW updated the package status and it should be on its way here. At least tomorrow is a bank holiday and I won't have to wait for the weekend to party :D

Hopefully it turns up soon for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It arrived in a battered box. Luckily the graphics card box was ok.

Your address is on that mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Your address is on that mate.

You should delete the photo from your reply so it doesn't show up when the OP deletes their photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah ill have 24 pizzas to this address,thanks dominos:P

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Wizard! wrote: »
    Mine either (the package I received on Friday, turned out something else :( )
    But, I checked with my tracking number, from AMD's email, in Fastway page and it says 1-2 business days.

Edit: FW updated the package status and it should be on its way here. At least tomorrow is a bank holiday and I won't have to wait for the weekend to party :D

Fastway....i hope your card gets delivered...you never know where it will end up with fastway..a neighbour 10 miles away usually

Second time a charm.(hopefully) Well my card arrived today in a battered box luckily the graphics card box was fine. You also get a free mouse mat in the box and it is a really premium box and so is the card itself. A step up from my old 5700 XT.

547204.jpg

Second time a charm.(hopefully) Well my card arrived today in a battered box luckily the graphics card box was fine. You also get a free mouse mat in the box and it is a really premium box and so is the card itself. A step up from my old 5700 XT.
    Mine arrived too 20 minutes ago. My box was huge too, not battered, no bubbles inside but the card was ok. :o

Enjoy dude, enjoy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Do we know what time the 6700xt will be available on Thursday? Not that I'll have a chance of getting one

Advertisement