Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I connected to a Netherlands VPN and the product page opened. IE site showed nothing. Now I see products but GPU's sold out completely...

Ask my bjollox...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

500 euros for a 6700xt and 750 for some AIB models??....The desperation of buyers has done untold damage to the graphic card market for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    500 euros for a 6700xt and 750 for some AIB models??....The desperation of buyers has done untold damage to the graphic card market for the foreseeable future

I think you mean cryptominers buying up anything and everything. Ordinary gamers have nothing to do with the current situation.

I just want to upgrade my 6 year old graphics card

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If and when the gpu crypto mining collapses again the market will be flooded with cheap cards from this generation.

I'm holding out with my RX 5700 until then. Thing is still solid for 1440p for the games I play.

If I could get a 6700xt for 500-750 I'd be happy as I'd easily get that back selling the 5700.

That's part of the reason why some people are willing to pay over the odds for these cards outside of miners.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BloodBath wrote: »
    If and when the gpu crypto mining collapses again the market will be flooded with cheap cards from this generation.

I'm holding out with my RX 5700 until then. Thing is still solid for 1440p for the games I play.

If I could get a 6700xt for 500-750 I'd be happy as I'd easily get that back selling the 5700.

That's part of the reason why some people are willing to pay over the odds for these cards outside of miners.

Yep. I'd buy anything at rrp at this stage. I'm building a new PC. My last machine was a gaming laptop. I haven't bought a single component yet because I'm waiting to get the GPU first. There's no point buying anything else because without the GPU it's just gathering dust.

And it's crypto miners that are snapping up the stock. That creates a shortage which is filled by the scalpers that snap up the rest of the available stock.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more than RRP but the prices out there are ridiculous.

I actually managed to buy two xboxes before xmas. One for me that I got at 8am when they went live on the MS site. And then a month later when a friend couldn't find one for her son I managed to find another online and get one for her (Although Santa gets the credit for that one).

That was easy compared to finding any GPU at retail price.

• Advertisement

The thing that p1sses me off is the complete lack of communication from AMD. Why can't they just come out and say we expect stock to normalise in XXX. We are in unprecedented times etc etc but we expect stock back by such and such a date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm lumped with a 1070 and a 3440x1440 monitor. Got it at release and the card just scraps 1440p but 3440x1440 beyond it. It's really struggling now and wanted to build a kick ass machine that would do me for a couple of years. Just need the CPU. I have the money, just can't buy one. It's so frustrating. Also have my old PC taking up space and want to put the 1070 into to so I can get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Keyzer wrote: »
    The thing that p1sses me off is the complete lack of communication from AMD. Why can't they just come out and say we expect stock to normalise in XXX. We are in unprecedented times etc etc but we expect stock back by such and such a date.

I'm guessing they only care about there shareholders (pretty solid guess) so why bother say anything? It only carries the danger of making them look worse. It won't benefit their sales which is all their shareholders care about and they sell everything they can get out of tsmc fabs so they can just launch meh products and watch them fly off the shelves. They're not a saviour like everyone paints them to be, they're a publicly traded company

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm lumped with a 1070 and a 3440x1440 monitor. Got it at release and the card just scraps 1440p but 3440x1440 beyond it. It's really struggling now and wanted to build a kick ass machine that would do me for a couple of years. Just need the CPU. I have the money, just can't buy one. It's so frustrating. Also have my old PC taking up space and want to put the 1070 into to so I can get rid of it.

You need CPU or GPU? If GPU, well, you know the situation yourself but if it's CPU, a R5 3600 will do more than fine for now and you could upgrade to 5000 series equivalent when it's released

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    I'm guessing they only care about there shareholders (pretty solid guess) so why bother say anything? It only carries the danger of making them look worse. It won't benefit their sales which is all their shareholders care about and they sell everything they can get out of tsmc fabs so they can just launch meh products and watch them fly off the shelves. They're not a saviour like everyone paints them to be, they're a publicly traded company

I know dude, I'm not 12 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

They should just make it a lottery system similar to how some retailers are doing it in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm lumped with a 1070 and a 3440x1440 monitor. Got it at release and the card just scraps 1440p but 3440x1440 beyond it.

I see your 1070 and raise you an R9 390 connected to a 4k TV. Radeon image sharpening can only do so much with a 1080p upscaled image.

The fact it's still supported and gets (GCN hand me down) game optimisations is miraculous.

So will next Thursday be better or worse does anyone reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Simi wrote: »
    miraculous.

So will next Thursday be better or worse does anyone reckon?

I'd say next Thursday will be back to usual 3 mins availability. What messed everything up today is the release of the new card on the same day everyone is waiting for a stock drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Simi wrote: »
    I see your 1070 and raise you an R9 390 connected to a 4k TV. Radeon image sharpening can only do so much with a 1080p upscaled image.

1060 in an inspiron laptop. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How easy is it to add anti bot checks to a site? There's retailers that do it. It's not that hard. They just don't care otherwise they'd do this.

Keyzer wrote: »
    I know dude, I'm not 12 :cool:

Hey, you asked the question :)

How easy is it to add anti bot checks to a site? There's retailers that do it. It's not that hard. They just don't care otherwise they'd do this.

Today was the worst I've seen it since I started looking. Sites crashing. Product not showing. IE AMD portal not working.

They clearly don't care who buys as long as they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Apparently I managed to buy a 5600X from AMD, the site took PayPal payment and it looks like the deal went through...! Anyone looking for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

5800X are in stock atm from AMD direct. Just looked just now and see the 6700 XT is just under €500 for only 40 compute units and 12GB's of RAM. The 6800 XT with 72 CU and 16GB's of RAM looks like the best value as it's not far off the performance of the 6900 XT and a lot cheaper at €670.

5800X are in stock atm from AMD direct. Just looked just now and see the 6700 XT is just under €500 for only 40 compute units and 12GB's of RAM. The 6800 XT with 72 CU and 16GB's of RAM looks like the best value as it's not far off the performance of the 6900 XT and a lot cheaper at €670.

6800XT is my preference, its a solid card plus it would leave me some extra cash to spend elsewhere on my rig. But there are zero available, and its kinda pathetic (and I mean this in general, not a personal indictment on anyone) that we have to wait for a drop once a week and clamber over each other to get one.

I'm thinking I might just get a PS5 to keep me going until stock returns to somewhat normal.

• Advertisement

Might be a blip but it's been six months since the crypto bubble started and the last crypto bubble burst after 6 months. Crypto prices look to be in a lag phase now and about to tank. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

AMD cutting corners knowing the cards will sell anyway. A new low for gamers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My mate got a 6700xt off Scan yesterday. And when I say got, I mean Scan happily took the money from his account but have no record of the purchase made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

My mate got a 6700xt off Scan yesterday. And when I say got, I mean Scan happily took the money from his account but have no record of the purchase made.

The order will appear in his account within the next 24 hours. This is how it happens when they get a massive number of orders created.
    I know, because I had the same experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

JoyPad wrote: »
    The order will appear in his account within the next 24 hours. This is how it happens when they get a massive number of orders created.
    I know, because I had the same experience.

Scan support said they had no record of his purchase though, unless their systems are completely twatted all day (this was 5hrs after purchase)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Scan support said they had no record of his purchase though, unless their systems are completely twatted all day (this was 5hrs after purchase)

you sure he didn't use scam.co.uk?:pac:

you sure he didn't use scam.co.uk?:pac:

Yeah I'm not holding my breath for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

I see AMD are back shipping to UK again so you'll be fighting not only with French and German market but now another 60 million people for a card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Might be a blip but it's been six months since the crypto bubble started and the last crypto bubble burst after 6 months. Crypto prices look to be in a lag phase now and about to tank. Fingers crossed!

Well, there's hoping - I've just joined NiceHash (yeah can't be bothered with the full setup thing).

If past relationships between myself and the concept of "free money" are anything to go by (if there was a race where only one horse was running, and I bet 100 euro on that horse, it'd be struck by lightning right before the finishing line), means that the market will go royally t1ts up the moment I appear :D:D:D

I'll send you the specifications for the 250 meters tall gold statue later on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    ... the market will go royally t1ts up the moment I appear :D:D:D

Talk about taking one for the team :pac:

Advertisement