Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I'm not holding my breath for him.

Annnd it was cancelled and getting a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

scottigael wrote: »
    I see AMD are back shipping to UK again so you'll be fighting not only with French and German market but now another 60 million people for a card

Oh brilliant! Sweet Jesus, we're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Keyzer wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might just get a PS5 to keep me going until stock returns to somewhat normal.

Uhhhh:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Uhhhh:pac::pac::pac:

I mentioned it earlier but I managed to buy two consoled before xmas. Both at RRP. That was simple compared to this.
    Between tracking sites like gpu tracker, twitter alerts and just refreshing pages like mad at certain times, I can't think of anything else I can do.

If anyone knows of anything I should be following or checking, please post it here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayson wrote: »
    I mentioned it earlier but I managed to buy two consoled before xmas. Both at RRP. That was simple compared to this.
    Between tracking sites like gpu tracker, twitter alerts and just refreshing pages like mad at certain times, I can't think of anything else I can do.

If anyone knows of anything I should be following or checking, please post it here.

You could pay 2500 to a scalper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sooo, reporting back from my first 24 hours of "cryptomining". I made the whopping grand total of 4.92 Euro (theoretically made, it's still in BTC on the NiceHash account).

Schematic summary:

- 1x RTX 2070S, 1x GTX 1070
    - Approx. power draw at the socket, 300W (approx. 1€/day to the ESB, factoring in day/night rate)
    - Net profit: 4.92€ - 1€ = 3.92€/day

For the sake of completeness, I tried adding the laptop (1050ti) to the pool, adds a measly 0.8 Euro/day, so no point.

The NiceHash app has some interesting, if a bit mysterious, "optimizations" for RTX series cards - which manage to keep temperature (~60C) and power draw (~90W reported) relatively low while apparently not affecting the hash rate at all; It pretty much locks the GPU at 990 Mhz and cranks the fans up, to about 80% speed while pinning the card against its "utilization limit" (as reported in HWMonitor). The same "optimization" doesn't do anything for the GTX series. Keeping the summarization:

Advantages

- Room temperature up by about 1C (will turn into a disadvantage soon...)
    - mmm...a free ham sandwich or coffee a day?
    - Hopefully my utterly strained relationship with Lady Luck will crash the market

Disadvantages

- Noise
    - Can't really game on the PC without disabling the miner
    - Fan bearing wear&tear (fans on GPUs are usually sh1t quality)
    - Feeling of waste

The last one is where the going gets though: if you've got a gaming/rendering/computation rig and want to put it to use in these "idle" time windows when you're not using it, I guess "mining" could be an idea; Yet, there are better options out there, such as Folding@Home - while this would also crank up energy usage and fan noise, at least it's making a contribution to something that might matter. A few Euros, for somebody living in the rich part of the world...pointless.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You could pay 2500 to a scalper.

...or buy into some "bot provider", although I'm not sure exactly how effective that is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    A few Euros, for somebody living in the rich part of the world...pointless.

Not everyone in a rich part of the world is exactly rich.
    In fairness a few euros a day for 100 days is a few hundred euros. Can make a big difference to sinking money into a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Sooo, reporting back from my first 24 hours of "cryptomining". I made the whopping grand total of 4.92 Euro (theoretically made, it's still in BTC on the NiceHash account).

Schematic summary:

- Approx. power draw at the socket, 300W (approx. 1€/day to the ESB, factoring in day/night rate)

For the sake of completeness, I tried adding the laptop (1050ti) to the pool, adds a measly 0.8 Euro/day, so no point.

The NiceHash app has some interesting, if a bit mysterious, "optimizations" for RTX series cards - which manage to keep temperature (~60C) and power draw (~90W reported) relatively low while apparently not affecting the hash rate at all; It pretty much locks the GPU at 990 Mhz and cranks the fans up, to about 80% speed while pinning the card against its "utilization limit" (as reported in HWMonitor). The same "optimization" doesn't do anything for the GTX series. Keeping the summarization:

Advantages

- Hopefully my utterly strained relationship with Lady Luck will crash the market

Disadvantages

- Noise
    - Feeling of waste

The last one is where the going gets though: if you've got a gaming/rendering/computation rig and want to put it to use in these "idle" time windows when you're not using it, I guess "mining" could be an idea; Yet, there are better options out there, such as Folding@Home - while this would also crank up energy usage and fan noise, at least it's making a contribution to something that might matter. A few Euros, for somebody living in the rich part of the world...pointless.

...or buy into some "bot provider", although I'm not sure exactly how effective that is right now.

I've been passively mining Ethereum with my Radeon VII the last few weeks. Pulling in just shy of 7 Euro a day but I'm not looking at my daily/monthly intake as I'm not selling it straight away, I'm much more interested in the long term inflation and gains. I view the electricity cost as an investment of sorts.

Nicehash is a handy wee way of just getting into mining but I had varied results as an effect of the jobs coming in. I moved to a dedicated pool instead.

82mh/s at 160 watts for quiet mode
    97.5mh/s at 230 watts for full speed noise machine mode
    some gaming.

In other news, can't seem to access the AMD Direct Buy store, I'm not refreshing like crazy but Brave is telling me the site has redirected me too many times. Hope it's fixed tomorrow as I wouldn't mind trying to pick up a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

circadian wrote: »
    In other news, can't seem to access the AMD Direct Buy store, I'm not refreshing like crazy but Brave is telling me the site has redirected me too many times. Hope it's fixed tomorrow as I wouldn't mind trying to pick up a card.

Had this a few times before. Delete amd cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Also, YMMV but I got nowhere with Firefox on Manjaro: as soon as the page loads where you input your address and details, the page pops up some sort of error window and it's impossible to use the drop-down to select the country. It may have been my add-ons but I didn't want to experiment, just downloaded Chromium and it worked first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

BeciMester wrote: »
    Also, YMMV but I got nowhere with Firefox on Manjaro: as soon as the page loads where you input your address and details, the page pops up some sort of error window and it's impossible to use the drop-down to select the country. It may have been my add-ons but I didn't want to experiment, just downloaded Chromium and it worked first time.

Manjaro is an excellent distro, the KDE flavour is particulary nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Everyone looking forward to the wacky races later today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What's the bets there's a huge consignment of GPUs headed for the EU... but they're on the Ever Given. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Schematic summary:

Advantages

Disadvantages

- Noise
    - Feeling of waste

seems we are all trying to get in on this......its bound to go tits up any day now :D ive my 1080ti working away on ethereum with Trex miner, making about $4 a day, all great in theory unless it kills my gpu and then im royally ****ed :pac:

seems we are all trying to get in on this......its bound to go tits up any day now :D ive my 1080ti working away on ethereum with Trex miner, making about $4 a day, all great in theory unless it kills my gpu and then im royally ****ed :pac:

For $4 a day, why take the risk?

For $4 a day, why take the risk?

good question :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

good question :pac:

Free heating, I've turned off my upstairs heating zone ever since, my 1080 doing a nice steady 35MH/s, and 37MH/s when screen is locked and not in use.

stamjoe wrote: »
    Free heating, I've turned off my upstairs heating zone ever since, my 1080 doing a nice steady 35MH/s, and 37MH/s when screen is locked and not in use.

im getting anywhere from 37MH/s to 47MH/s depending on the day, seems to fluctuate somebit for some reason.

And the website is down... the games begin

come on you swines... drop something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Nothing. No alerts and the website appears to be working?

Nothing - not a sauasge so far... Site is working.

Yeah f*** all there, I'm refreshing every 2 sec since 16:30...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BeciMester wrote: »
    Yeah f*** all there, I'm refreshing every 2 sec since 16:30...

I refreshed so much that I'm blocked on two browsers.

Grayson wrote: »
    I refreshed so much that I'm blocked on two browsers.

Thatw as me last week... its about to happen again

although it might be your cookies

Partalert website is offline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Nothing happening. Gonna give it until 5 and then call it a day:confused:

Still nothing but the site started struggling now... clear cookies, reload, repeat

Im just thinking - the drop could have been an hour ago with DST in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Im just thinking - the drop could have been an hour ago with DST in the states?

It wasn't last week though

Advertisement