Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Keyzer wrote: »
    Im just thinking - the drop could have been an hour ago with DST in the states?

Don't say things like that :pac:

I dunno chat thread on partalert says there hasn't been a drop today

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Simi wrote: »
    Don't say things like that :pac:

I dunno chat thread on partalert says there hasn't been a drop today
    The one day I attempt the mad rush, there's no drop... typical :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Pain in the bleedin jacksy with this...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

11 of February was the last time a 6800 XT dropped on the AMD site,guess with so many people willing to buy the more expensive 6900 XT there just not bothering.

EoinHef wrote: »
    11 of February was the last time a 6800 XT dropped on the AMD site,guess with so many people willing to buy the more expensive 6900 XT there just not bothering.

Precisely. Why make €650 when you can make €1050! They make more selling the 6800 chips to partners. To be fair €1050 for 6900 XT performance is an absolute bargain in the current market. Just look how much RX 580's are going for on ebay :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see they have the 5600X for €310 on the AMD site for anybody interested.

Did anyone see a GPU show as in stock? 17.41?! Nice random drop time. Cheers AMD :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Did anyone see a GPU show as in stock? 17.41?! Nice random drop time. Cheers AMD :rolleyes:

Random time for a drop only suits bots.
    FU AMD!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was in a team meeting. Just checked my phone when it ended and saw the twitter alerts from part alert.

Only CPU's left now.

I got one! :D

Partalert direct buy link. Paid with credit card. Paypal locked me out :pac:

• Advertisement

I got one! :D

Partalert direct buy link. Paid with credit card. Paypal locked me out :pac:

That sucks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CCL has some 6700xts in stock right now if you're willing to to add customs charge on delivery

Weirdly, they've just added some more CPU's. I might keep refreshing for a while.

Grayson wrote: »
    That sucks

Order confirmed and money is gone from my revolut! :D

I'd say paypal blocked me for refreshing the page and logging in too often to try and keep it alive. Luckily my card and address are saved to chrome autofill.

Never showed as in stock on the amd site and i'm now fully blocked. Had to open the partalert link in incognito mode for it to work.

So partalert direct link -> icognito tab -> autofill CC and address is what worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I got very close to getting one - went to hit the final confirm payment and it crapped out.

Fúcking paypal slowed me down on the phone, kicked me out just as I was in the middle of the order and made me go through logon plus 2FA again.

But partalert notified me of the drop at 17:41.

I'm not sitting refreshing anymore....

Order confirmed and money is gone from my revolut! :D

I'd say paypal blocked me for refreshing the page and logging in too often to try and keep it alive. Luckily my card and address are saved to chrome autofill.

Never showed as in stock on the amd site and i'm now fully blocked. Had to open the partalert link in incognito mode for it to work.

So partalert direct link -> icognito tab -> autofill CC and address is what worked for me.

you give us all hope. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Precisely. Why make €650 when you can make €1050! They make more selling the 6800 chips to partners. To be fair €1050 for 6900 XT performance is an absolute bargain in the current market. Just look how much RX 580's are going for on ebay :pac:

I would make the assumption that any chip that meets binning for a 6900 or 3090 is being sold as such. Simply put, the profit margin is higher and they sell out regardless.

Could I just ask anyone currently using a 6900 XT what PSU they have (and what CPU I guess). I recently upgraded to a 5600X and I'm using the stock power limits ~77W. Current GPU is an R9 390 which can pull up to 270W though typically much lower than that.

I currently have a fairly ancient 650W fractal design 80+ gold PSU that sounds like it's not doing great tbh. Lot of coil whine and fan noise. I'm just worried it'll pop, the first time I try to power up post upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Could I just ask anyone currently using a 6900 XT what PSU they have (and what CPU I guess). I recently upgraded to a 5600X and I'm using the stock power limits ~77W. Current GPU is an R9 390 which can pull up to 270W though typically much lower than that.

I currently have a fairly ancient 650W fractal design 80+ gold PSU that sounds like it's not doing great tbh. Lot of coil whine and fan noise. I'm just worried it'll pop, the first time I try to power up post upgrade!

I have a 6900xt and a 5600x running on a Corsair TX750M and it's more than enough power for the system.

I have a 6900xt and a 5600x running on a Corsair TX750M and it's more than enough power for the system.

Cheers. I plan on upgrading my PSU at some point in the near future, but was hoping to get away with my current one for a wee while longer. Sure I'll try it and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a 3700X and a 6900 XT and I am running a RM850x.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I have a 6900xt running on a msi tomahawk x570 with a 5900x.
    power supply is a seasonic gold focus 850w..everything stable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not unexpected but not great news about RT performance in Cyberpunk. Still it's only their first stab at it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-ray-tracing-amd-graphics-card-rdna-2/

Ray tracing isn't worth the performance hit on any GPU though.

Even on the 3080 it causes massive performance drop, even with DLSS enabled and scaling and all that.

It's not tect that matters for this generation of games either on the whole, it's something that wiill matter in 3-4-5 years time, maybe, but for now it's really not worth the FPS loss for minimal difference in how the game looks and pretty reflections in puddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My experience with RTX on the 3080 at 1440p so far can be summed up as "meh".

The reflections and the light is nice and stuff, but you don't really notice it that much after the initial "wow how cool".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The reflections and the light is nice and stuff, but you don't really notice it that much after the initial "wow how cool".

I liked how they described it as puddles and shiny floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Would make me wonder what sort of effects the consoles will be able to produce with the ray accelerators giving such poor performance

I had a 3080 for a while before mu 6900xt and spent an hour or two with RT on in watchdogs legion, control, and a few other games and then got bored and turned it off so I could get better over all visuals and fps.

It's cool, but it's not really changing the gameplay experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EoinHef wrote: »
    Would make me wonder what sort of effects the consoles will be able to produce with the ray accelerators giving such poor performance

Very limited results by the looks of it but I'm more interested in the software solutions they come up with to speed up the raytracing which will hopefully carry over to PC.

• Advertisement

It's definitely a generation or two away from being something worth turning on. It's not really a consideration when deciding what GPU to buy right now and I don't really see the point in supporting it on lower end GPU's like the 3060/6700.

It'll be cool to flick on and check out for a few mins in supported games, but I'm not going to half my frame, turn on upscaling or lower other settings just for better reflections and lighting (shadows seem especially pointless).

Advertisement