Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

The Radeon Software isn't really of much value IMO. I mean it's a nice UI & all, and the in-built monitoring is cool, but you can get by perfectly fine without it.

If it's causing issues, it's probably just better to disable the Radeon Software & call it a day. As long as the games run well, what about it?

If you were on Nvidia, you'd probably do the same with Geforce Experience because of that forced login nonense. (Or at least I did)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nah, reports are coming in hot and thick on the internet now that the 5700's have huge driver problems. Its new architecture so its expected to a extent but 6 months later to have little to none of them resolved is extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I find it really strange that some people are trying to downplay it like it's not a thing. I don't mean the posts above, but in general, there's an air of denial about it in some places online. Even in our little corner here on boards there are loads of examples of people being being unhappy with/returning 5700's due to these driver issues. And what you will see repeatedly is "returned the 5700, got a 2070S, smooth sailing now".

I'm not even remotely excitied about the so-called 2080ti killer 5950xt due to the driver issues.

Homelander wrote: »
    I find it really strange that some people are trying to downplay it like it's not a thing. I don't mean the posts above, but in general, there's an air of denial about it in some places online. Even in our little corner here on boards there are loads of examples of people being being unhappy with/returning 5700's due to these driver issues. And what you will see repeatedly is "returned the 5700, got a 2070S, smooth sailing now".

I'm not even remotely excitied about the so-called 2080ti killer 5950xt due to the driver issues.

I think it's a combination of a QC issue combined with the drivers. So you have some users with the same setup, in which some of fine and others get repeated failures.

From a lot of the cases online, you can see cases pointing out their cards are downclocking themselves in desktop mode leading to the performance problems, stuttering and so on. Sometimes the CPU, sometimes the memory. And yet you have plenty of other people who have zero issues, same setups, same games. So assuming unless somebody is missing some random factor, its the hardware doing it.

Homelander wrote: »

I wonder is it anything to do with the PCIe 4.0 support given it's the 1st GPU to support it? I can't recall somebody with an X570 setup reporting issues, all of those reporting issues are using older PCIe 3.0 setups. (I could be wrong on that though, I'm not actively searching for those with issues)

There's most definitely issues but at the same time there seems to be lots with no issues so that's probably where the denial is coming from if it's there.

I do hope the 5950XT or whatever it ends up being called isn't plagued with the same type of issues.

I remember years ago I went from a HD7950 which was flawless, to an R9 290, had a boatload of black screens and lockups, switched to a GTX 780 and all my driver issues went away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

z0oT wrote: »

I remember years ago I went from a HD7950 which was flawless, to an R9 290, had a boatload of black screens and lockups, switched to a GTX 780 and all my driver issues went away.

I had a 290 a number of years ago and had no issues. I must just be lucky with AMD. I've had each new card they released since the 290 minus a 390 and Vega VII. Fury X, Vega 56 and 5700 XT.

There was an ongoing black screen issue with the 290 at the time. I got it pretty much as soon as I could after it launched.

Had I waited for a few subsequent driver releases it'd probably have been fine in the end.

I had a 290 a number of years ago and had no issues. I must just be lucky with AMD. I've had each new card they released since the 290 minus a 390 and Vega VII. Fury X, Vega 56 and 5700 XT.

I mean, I got the fury for cheap at the time but I felt pretty jipped by it. Starting to see the 480/580 start to pass it out in charts because the card needed serious driver work for each game to be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I also had the black screen issue with the 290, it affected Battlefield 4 particularly badly. Was an amazing card in its time and pretty good value too. I paid less than €400 and even now 6.5 years later it would still run new games kinda OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Just came across this threat as I'm ordering parts for a build at the moment and had decided on the 5700xt red devil

But, reading here and elsewhere online about all the driver issues at the moment with 5700 cards, I cancelled my order for the card as only placed it on Saturday.

Such a pity as it looked like a great card!

Do you guys still think it's worth buying the 5700 at the moment, despite the issues?

I know it's probably just teething issues with drivers but it seems to be a hot topic everywhere and people are walking away from the cards which is bound to impact a future second hand market?

I could go with a 2070 super I guess but I thought the red devil ticked all the boxes with price and performance. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

amadablam wrote: »
    Just came across this threat as I'm ordering parts for a build at the moment and had decided on the 5700xt red devil

But, reading here and elsewhere online about all the driver issues at the moment with 5700 cards, I cancelled my order for the card as only placed it on Saturday.

Do you guys still think it's worth buying the 5700 at the moment, despite the issues?

I know it's probably just teething issues with drivers but it seems to be a hot topic everywhere and people are walking away from the cards which is bound to impact a future second hand market?

I could go with a 2070 super I guess but I thought the red devil ticked all the boxes with price and performance. :confused::confused::confused:

Some people are experiencing issues with their 5700's. I appear to be one of the lucky ones, I have 2 builds with 5700XT's in them and no issues at all on either so far (1 build Nov & the other built over christmas). 1 of them is used constant on the likes of rocket league etc and no drops or glitches at all. The other plays all sorts of games from Leisure suit larry to GOW5 and its been amazing. I did have 1 issue in my own build when I installed a driver update that wasnt a recommended update it blackscreened. Rolled back win 10 and went for recommended update and it was all good. The other card on building had no display, there is a switch on the card itself, OC or Silent and for first build I popped it to silent and it worked, installed win 10 and flipped the switch back to OC and again all is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

amadablam wrote: »

I had a hot, noisy 5700xt that crashed on battlefront 2 and frostpunk within 5 mins. Only used it for a day or 2. I now have 2070 super that runs a lot cooler and quieter and hasn't crashed yet after a few days. I couldn't even game with the door closed as my room started getting too warm, can only imagine the ware and tear on my pc after a year of that sort of heat, I think personally I had a dodgy card

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

KilOit wrote: »
    I had a hot, noisy 5700xt that crashed on battlefront 2 and frostpunk within 5 mins. Only used it for a day or 2. I now have 2070 super that runs a lot cooler and quieter and hasn't crashed yet after a few days. I couldn't even game with the door closed as my room started getting too warm, can only imagine the ware and tear on my pc after a year of that sort of heat, I think personally I had a dodgy card

I just installed Frostpunk so I will run that later on for a while and see if mine crashes :)

KilOit wrote: »

It was pointed out to you on the other thread, AMD cards read higher temps back to the user. Read higher temps, not produce higher temps.

There are a handful of models out there with cooler problems, the stock blower and TUF gaming both showed mounting issues that washers fixed.

And I reckon a bunch with just hardware flaws at this point.

All in all, the card is over 6 months old, these issues should no longer exist and yet they appear to do so. Which means I was considering a 5700xt to replace my vega56 and now I'm not going to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

It was pointed out to you on the other thread, AMD cards read higher temps back to the user. Read higher temps, not produce higher temps.
    That's amazing then since my room got hot with the door closed and now it doesn't so myth busted with that one.
    Like I said I think I had a dodgy card, didn't seem normal to me to reach 80-90
    I also used a gigabyte card that had 3 fans on it

Kimbot wrote: »
    I just installed Frostpunk so I will run that later on for a while and see if mine crashes :)

Ran it for about 4 hours this evening, all max graphics settings and not one crash. It's a great game aswell :) my room temperature isn't increasing but with my last build it got crazy hot so this is far cooler by far.

For me I'd say it's fair to say my 5700 XT does put out a bit more heat than the 1070 I had before it did. But that's to be expected, since it's power draw is ~20% higher. It's a pretty low price to pay for a 50% performance increase though.

But there's no way it should be any different to a 2070 super from a heat output perspective, given all that power gets dissapated as heat and the power consumption of both is very similiar.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/31.html

u9ukhBw.png

z0oT wrote: »
    But there's no way it should be any different to a 2070 super from a heat output perspective, given all that power gets dissapated as heat and the power consumption of both is very similiar.

No point mate, facts and figures will never win that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm only starting to consider my next GPU purchase but is it not very often the case that AMD cards regularly launch with some issues and get progressively better over the next year or two with updates where NVidia take a more Apple approach - flawless launch then progressively hobble?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm only starting to consider my next GPU purchase but is it not very often the case that AMD cards regularly launch with some issues and get progressively better over the next year or two with updates where NVidia take a more Apple approach - flawless launch then progressively hobble?

Nvidia don't hobble their cards, their older designs were just not very forward facing in terms of their architecture or the way their driver works(very reliant on a single core). So as newer engines came out, the older Nvidia cards which performed well at the time usually fell behind.

I would have said with Turing, its probably the exact opposite.

Navi for AMD is a brand new architecture rather then a adaption or refresh of existing, so its expected for first adopters to see weird bugs. The difference is that 6 months later a fair few remain, which is a pretty bad showing by AMD. Some of the more obvious problems have only be acknowledged recently(cards downclocking into desktop mode during games for example).

They are decent cards and for a lot of users, their are zero issues. I usually buy mid spec AMD cards because they offer the best bang for the buck at the time. The problem here is that the bang for the buck(which the 5700 definitely offers) is probably not worth the hassle of having to try diagnose and RMA the thing if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

At present I'm still using my RX480 8gb, no issues for me after 4 years, only 1080p 60hz although the days of Ultra settings are long gone. The end is near for it all the same.

The market is so cluttered now it's hard to tell. New I'd be in the RX 5600 / RX2060 market but I wonder would I be better off with a 1080? I'm unlikely to ever go higher than 24" as it is in the sitting room but 144hz/1ms is likely my next monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Still getting random black screen lock ups myself.

Probably should have returned the card by now but holding some hope that they fix it but it's getting silly at this stage.

Gonna try that factory reset now.

-edit-

Wow. Downloaded the latest driver and installed it with factory reset. Needed reboot to finish install.

After reboot install completed into black screen lock up directly after. Nice 1 AMD.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BloodBath wrote: »
    Still getting random black screen lock ups myself.

Probably should have returned the card by now but holding some hope that they fix it but it's getting silly at this stage.

Gonna try that factory reset now.

-edit-

Wow. Downloaded the latest driver and installed it with factory reset. Needed reboot to finish install.

After reboot install completed into black screen lock up directly after. Nice 1 AMD.

I had it, but havent had it since latest driver. I'm probably lucky.

But definitely not impressed. When the card works, its great and I love the performance it gives me. But I've had so many grievances with it, it's a hard sell to anyone else looking to buy one until the driver issues are sorted.

So since November I have been having a good time with the 5700xt, in that time I have only had one issue with it. The other night I was playing Forza Horizen 4 and on a menu screen it just rebooted the PC. Has been fine ever since with no issues so for the moment I am putting it down to a 1 off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Was hoping higher end AMD gpus were going to be coming this year,not sure id buy one now givin these issues.

Interesting how both the hosts on Hardware Unboxed aren't seeing issues.

I myself have the 5700XT almost 6 months now. I've always been on the latest driver (using 20.2.1 now) without a single issue and I'm having very good performance at 1440p, I wonder what it is about my setup or configuration that's different from others who have issues.

Here's a list of games off the top of my head I've played though without issue since I got it. It might be interesting if anyone else is having problems with any of these to compare.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy
    Gears of War 1, 4 & 5
    GTA 5
    Skyrim
    Black Mesa
    Trine 4
    Soma
    Superhot
    The Outer Worlds
    Halo Reach Anniversary
    Metro 2033 Redux
    Metro Last Light Redux
    Metro Exodus
    Yakuza 0
    Vampyr
    Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice
    Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Sunset Overdrive
    ReCore
    A Plague Tale Innocence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wonder if it's a hardware problem. Bad batch of silicon or certain board partners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had blackscreen problems with Outer Wilds, Dota 2, Borderlands 3, Modern Warfare.

Dont think I've seen issue on other games.

Advertisement