Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Keyzer wrote: »
    Bananas isn't it. Disgusted because you can't drop a grand on a graphics card.

It is, but I guess it is also an interesting and important demonstration of what could happen on a larger scale if the commerce keeps shifting towards the internet without implementing proper protection, both on a legal and technical point.

It all started with totally superfluous things (bots snapping up event tickets), then started moving towards more consumer-oriented goods (shoes). I feel right now we're on the verge - computer components are straddling that line between being purely luxury goods and fundamental products; Sure thing, a GPU is basically thought for gaming...but I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of a freelance animator, engineer, architect or designer whose GPU failed in 2021.

The next "bot craze" creating artificial scarcity could be about things we actually need - it almost happened with stuff such as soap and sanitizer at the beginning of the pandemic.

More in topic - does anyone know if the availability on the AMD site is region specific? I mean, once there's a drop, are users of the /ie shop competing against other Irish based buyers, or is it just a centralized supply? I'd imagine the second, but would be interesting to know (and, for all the data, the two cards bought from users here could well be ALL there was :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It is, but I guess it is also an interesting and important demonstration of what could happen on a larger scale if the commerce keeps shifting towards the internet without implementing proper protection, both on a legal and technical point.

It all started with totally superfluous things (bots snapping up event tickets), then started moving towards more consumer-oriented goods (shoes). I feel right now we're on the verge - computer components are straddling that line between being purely luxury goods and fundamental products; Sure thing, a GPU is basically thought for gaming...but I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of a freelance animator, engineer, architect or designer whose GPU failed in 2021.

The next "bot craze" creating artificial scarcity could be about things we actually need - it almost happened with stuff such as soap and sanitizer at the beginning of the pandemic.

100% agree.

The frustrating part of this is if they setup a waiting list they'd keep the majority (if not all) of punters happy. Even if you knew you had to wait 6 months, at least you'd know your going to get one.

Anyway, we try again next week.
    More in topic - does anyone know if the availability on the AMD site is region specific? I mean, once there's a drop, are users of the /ie shop competing against other Irish based buyers, or is it just a centralized supply? I'd imagine the second, but would be interesting to know (and, for all the data, the two cards bought from users here could well be ALL there was :D )

I think its a central drop accessible from all the regional portals all underpinned by the digital river platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SAVE US INTEL!! :pac:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Keyzer wrote: »
    100% agree.

The frustrating part of this is if they setup a waiting list they'd keep the majority (if not all) of punters happy. Even if you knew you had to wait 6 months, at least you'd know your going to get one.

Anyway, we try again next week.

yeah, but that'd be abused too - even with the wait times. Truth is, I've looked into this whole bots thing and turns out most of them are much simpler affairs than it's commonly believed - straightforward Selenium implementations driving an headless browser. They're extremely simple to setup and work - and they'd be defeated by some quite basic anti-automation and anti-scraping measures (e.g. very few stores have any captcha or 2FA at checkout time - only at the account registration level!).

There are more complex bots that use exposed API endpoints - these would be harder to stop due to the way many websites are coded nowadays, but not impossible.

Wouldn't completely stop the issue, but it'd cull it a LOT; Yet online retailers won't take these measures 'cause, from their point of view, they're making the sales - and that's all they care about.

The whole concert/gig/event scalping was stopped in law because it was starting to kill the business - people went "screw it, I'll watch it on a pirate Sky stream!" instead of paying extortionate prices :P

This also has the potential to kill the market - remains to be seen if it's big enough and political enough to gain legal consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

All digital river have to do on behalf of AMD is to implement a queue system and your card is allocated on stock drop then payment is taken when shipped

One card per account/IP address/payment card at least until stock outstrips demand

I do know of an organised group based in the UK who have their members (30+)buy 6900xt's from AMDs various EU stores using workarounds with addresses
    and then sell them in london in a P2P deal for 1600 pounds each.. Im not sure how you can stop groups like this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Digital River have absolutely horrendous customer service. They were a nightmare when my RX6800 never turned up (eventually had to contact AMD direct), and they're just as much of a nightmare when my new Lenovo laptop never turned up either.

I suspect the issue is couriers marking things as "signed for and delivered" and just dumping on the doorstep. Problem is I live in a city and something dumped on a doorstep will get stolen.

Seems that's what has happened AGAIN....laptop was dispatched two weeks ago, never turned up, tracking number doesn't work, 3 different points of contact have ended up in "we'll look into it and get back to you".

Friend ordered the same laptop and his arrived 2 days after dispatch.

Next step is a chargeback, they are a total joke. After these experiences I would never buy anything from a storefront operated by Digital River ever again. They can't control couriers, but their customer service is non-existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Truth is, I've looked into this whole bots thing and turns out most of them are much simpler affairs than it's commonly believed - straightforward Selenium implementations driving an headless browser. They're extremely simple to setup and work - and they'd be defeated by some quite basic anti-automation and anti-scraping measures (e.g. very few stores have any captcha or 2FA at checkout time - only at the account registration level!).

I spent a while back trying to bot on Cloudflare's service while learning some basics and it didn't go anywhere. Even Macros seem to get picked up after a while.

Either way, AMD can suck balls. At this point, their site must be the no1 target for botters right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Homelander

Do you have a Parcel Motel handy?
    I'd say that's worth the extra just to have it securely delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

6900 XT finally arrived. Got it set up yesterday. It's fairly impressive to say the least.

Have already pre-ordered a 850w PSU as my current 650w literally screams when I run with an uncapped framerate at 4k :pac:

Really hoping a VRR update for my TV drops soon so I can make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Just got a Gigabyte RX 6700 XT direct from amazon spain for €715

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08Y746XN7

Not shipping for a few weeks , I'll cancel it should I get a card elsewhere cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just got a sapphire RX 6700 XT direct from amazon spain for €715

Not shipping for a few weeks , I'll cancel it should I get a card elsewhere cheaper

You are mad paying that much tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just got a Gigabyte RX 6700 XT direct from amazon spain for €715

Thats RRP for a 6800xt.

Lads it's more expensive than I'd like but RRP doesn't mean a thing at the moment. It's a pre-order and I haven't been charged yet, it's direct from Amazon so no hassle cancelling or returning should I get land a card direct from AMD or even RTX 3060/3070 in the next week or two.

It's actually in amazon stock (coming in and out of stock every 10 minutes or so), it looks like bots aren't targeting it (yet). It's an upgrade on the GPU's I currently own which I could sell on adverts and get money back on. It's pricing is "competitive" when compared to the actual price of the various RTX 3060/370 GPU's on from amazon direct if you can actually get one of those before the bots.

200 euro over the RRP over the lifetime of that card is nothing compared to the cost of divorce some of us on here are facing if we don't get off our phones and twitter part alert:pac::pac:

It might not be for you guys but for others it'll make sense.;)

Lads it's more expensive than I'd like but RRP doesn't mean a thing at the moment. It's a pre-order and I haven't been charged yet, it's direct from Amazon so no hassle cancelling or returning should I get land a card direct from AMD or even RTX 3060/3070 in the next week or two.

It's actually in amazon stock (coming in and out of stock every 10 minutes or so), it looks like bots aren't targeting it (yet). It's an upgrade on the GPU's I currently own which I could sell on adverts and get money back on. It's pricing is "competitive" when compared to the actual price of the various RTX 3060/370 GPU's on from amazon direct if you can actually get one of those before the bots.

200 euro over the RRP over the lifetime of that card is nothing compared to the cost of divorce some of us on here are facing if we don't get off our phones and twitter part alert:pac::pac:

It might not be for you guys but for others it'll make sense.;)

i had that in my cart earlier as well..i saw delivery end of may....good luck with that

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    i had that in my cart earlier as well..i saw delivery end of may....good luck with that

I've not been charged to my debit card yet and if I get one cheaper elsewhere before it'll cost me nothing to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭SwarfegaHead

Managed to get an order in for a 6800 on Thursday, but now the AMD website isn't recognising my order number. Feeling unsettledto say the least lol

Managed to get an order in for a 6800 on Thursday, but now the AMD website isn't recognising my order number. Feeling unsettledto say the least lol

If you got payment taken out of your account by digital river you will be fine..that AMD site is a disaster..and that includes tracking orders from them

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭SwarfegaHead

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    If you got payment taken out of your account by digital river you will be fine..that AMD site is a disaster..and that includes tracking orders from them

I assumed this is the case but man, given the current situation I am not taking anything for granted til I have the card in my hands. The whole thing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

I assumed this is the case but man, given the current situation I am not taking anything for granted til I have the card in my hands. The whole thing is a joke.

I didn't get a confirmation email with a tracking number until it actually shipped several days later.

You are mad paying that much tbh...

Its 200 brick on top of MSRP but, tbh, that's not bad. Some of the prices online are astronomical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still waiting on the 6900xt. At inbound gateway on saturday so hopefully will arrive today.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still waiting on the 6900xt. At inbound gateway on saturday so hopefully will arrive today.

Hope it gets to you soon bro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's with Fastways apparently since yesterday morning but not showing on their system when I check the DHL code.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

It's with Fastways apparently since yesterday morning but not showing on their system when I check the DHL code.

Phone fastways witht he DHL code. Or phone DHL and they'll give you the fastways code. It's awkward as ****.

Anyone got a number that gets me through to a human for fastways?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think it ends in 666

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone got a number that gets me through to a human for fastways?

I was waiting till Tuesday or Wednesday for mine as I live in the West and also in the country side. So depending on where you live that is if you're not in a large town they usually wait till they have a few deliveries in your area.

6900xt arrived this morning. Have a lot on this evening so won't get a whole lot of time to play with it. Might be leaving work early this evening ;)

6900xt arrived this morning. Have a lot on this evening so won't get a whole lot of time to play with it. Might be leaving work early this evening ;)

drop it in to me..i have time to play with it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

How long did that take in total to arrive?

Advertisement