Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

On the bright side, you're in the minority getting a GPU for msrp

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

arknot wrote: »
    Building up a custom pc on MSRP (or as close as possible) is stressful to get all parts delivered:
    Ordered an AMD direct GPU on 16th, shipped on 23th but DHL tracking info is from 26th.
    Something from CaseKing (Germany) that was shipped also by DHL on 28th and today 3rd May, it's already being tracked by AnPost.
    Some other parts from Amazon Germany, ordered on 25th and were delivered Saturday 1st May.

The shipping cost from AMD direct was almost double the cost of the others and it's the slowest and less informative of the bunch...

I'm trying to stay positive and thinking that all those horror stories with FastWay will not happen... specially since I have 2 packages to receive from them, GPU and CPU (from 21st drop)...

you should have your GPU in 2 days..im waiting for mine as well from the 16th drop

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arknot

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    On the bright side, you're in the minority getting a GPU for msrp

I confess that I felt lucky, and was already on the pc when the 'drop' happen. (specially lucky since it was the late friday drop, never seen before I think).

This is what I did and so far worked for GPU, CPU and PS5:
    I used chrome and already had my address and a card (revolut) saved in preferences, cvv memorized. This way, when I got to the order page, I only needed to double-click on the fields and select pre-fill. Manually only need to fill the cvv (need to confirm on the app the transaction) and do a quick scan of all the fields of the address (but for me all was spot on like I saved).
    I had a tab pinned for the item I would like to try to grab, so when I got the warning from discord/twitter, just got to that tab, refresh and added to cart.

I stopped going there and manually refresh due to IP block fear, so I trusted that the Discord and Twitter would warn me (since those were the only alerts I was receiving from them, every time they triggered, I was automatically going to my saved tab and force a refresh).
    Didn't use any script, but I also had it prepared and bookmarked (just to force an 'add card' button)...

I believe the EVGA queue method is somewhat perfect for low stock periods and would prevent massively this issue. But companies don't care much about who gets the parts, since the important is that all stock is sold by the price they want and numbers go up for the next earnings call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

The shipping cost from AMD direct was almost double the cost of the others and it's the slowest and less informative of the bunch...

This is what's annoying me more than anything else really, €25 for this third-rate delivery service feels exploitative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is what's annoying me more than anything else really, €25 for this third-rate delivery service feels exploitative.

So you could get it delivered from mainland europe and come across on a boat and then another courier service in Ireland for less than €25.....

• Advertisement

So you could get it delivered from mainland europe and come across on a boat and then another courier service in Ireland for less than €25.....

If other smaller companies seem to be able to do it why shouldn't AMD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't be putting shortage issues on tsmc, Samsung and many other foundries are facing similar problems. Granted with TSMC being the biggest player it's more obvious.

Companies put in orders well in advance for the amount of silicon they'll require in the next year or so. Foundaries plan for this and leave themselves with usually at least 10% headroom, able to increase with temporary increases in demand.

The pandemic caused two problems with this model. As a result of the pandemic, social distancing and strict guidelines in Taiwan reduced capacity and removed the headroom usually planned for. Production of console silicon had to take priority because of contractual agreements with Sony/MS. Secondly, more people at home with more disposable income meant greater than usual demand, at a time where resources were already stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Thought I'd chime in with my two cents and clear up a couple of things on this topic...
    GHOST MGG wrote: »
    they run a script on digital rivers server..it outputs when the stock code changes..usually means that the stock item that changed gets dropped within 2 hours or so..thats how they do it

They're not running a script, someone on a German forum found a webpage on the Digital River site that shows stock categories. CAT15 means out of stock, CAT16 means its in stock and a drop is imminent (usually within 30 mins of this changing).

There is a script (Java Script) which allows people to add the "add to cart" button on the site when a drop happens, there is a slight delay before the add to cart button is available so the script allows you to proceed with the purchase during this windows. But there has to be stock available for this to work. This is different to the CAT15/CAT16 thing though.
    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things or better, why the bot epidemic is getting worse and worse and will start to affect the purchase of just about any desirable products in the future (or needed - wait until there's some important medication for sale and watch it appear on eBay for 10x the price).

Of course I'm not referring to PartAlert nor your specific message, but the practice from web developers of using public-facing APIs.

The vast majority of the people in the Discord are just looking for a GPU. I've been at this for almost 6 months now trying to get a 6900/6800XT. I'm in the Discord channel, knew the drop was coming and had prepared in advance of the drop.

I was unsuccessful in getting a card again this week.

So even with access to all these things, there are no guarantees you'll get anything from an AMD drop.
    rob808 wrote: »
    It strange that there a small group and won't let new people join kinda sound like scalper club buying up cards to sell for profit could be wrong guess there no way to stop groups like this getting cards.

The owner of the Discord channel closed it when it reached 40000. However, you can still get the alerts from PartAlert through Twitter and Telegram.
    EoinHef wrote: »
    So basically the answer to bots is more bots?

Na,no bots at all would be better.

PartAlert is running a bot to scan for available stock, its not purchasing stock for people though. You still have to buy the stock from the alert yourself and 99.9% of the time its gone before you click the alert. The code is open source and available on github if you want to set something up yourself.

There are other paid services where you can rent a bot to buy stuff for you but PartAlert is not doing this.
    Its unreal that big companies cannot be arsed to stop this kind of intrusion..my understanding is it can be done but would cost money to integrate into existing systems.

This scalping bot **** started a few yrs back when expensive sports footwear sold at a premium and supply was low

Their are now whole groups of people who pay into a fund to buy up anything they can so they can sell it all on for a major profit..

100% agree - AMD in particiular couldn't give a monkeys who buys their stock. If they cared about their loyal consumers they would do something about this. But they don't, they care about their bottom line. They also use Digital Rover as their payments platform, DR are dreadful and their platform is rubbish. They have no obligation to implement any measures to prevent scalping, it would be foolish to think otherwise. However, it would be a well received gesture of good will if they did.

I get there are worldwide shortages with regards raw materials, wafer manufacturing and companies are facing severe challenges due to Covid but there has to be a better way for companies to do this - waiting lists, block Bots, implement quota's.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Keyzer wrote: »
    Thought I'd chime in with my two cents and clear up a couple of things on this topic...

They're not running a script, someone on a German forum found a webpage on the Digital River site that shows stock categories. CAT15 means out of stock, CAT16 means its in stock and a drop is imminent (usually within 30 mins of this changing).

There is a script (Java Script) which allows people to add the "add to cart" button on the site when a drop happens, there is a slight delay before the add to cart button is available so the script allows you to proceed with the purchase during this windows. But there has to be stock available for this to work. This is different to the CAT15/CAT16 thing though.

The vast majority of the people in the Discord are just looking for a GPU. I've been at this for almost 6 months now trying to get a 6900/6800XT. I'm in the Discord channel, knew the drop was coming and had prepared in advance of the drop.

I was unsuccessful in getting a card again this week.

So even with access to all these things, there are no guarantees you'll get anything from an AMD drop.

The owner of the Discord channel closed it when it reached 40000. However, you can still get the alerts from PartAlert through Twitter and Telegram.

PartAlert is running a bot to scan for available stock, its not purchasing stock for people though. You still have to buy the stock from the alert yourself and 99.9% of the time its gone before you click the alert. The code is open source and available on github if you want to set something up yourself.

There are other paid services where you can rent a bot to buy stuff for you but PartAlert is not doing this.

100% agree - AMD in particiular couldn't give a monkeys who buys their stock. If they cared about their loyal consumers they would do something about this. But they don't, they care about their bottom line. They also use Digital Rover as their payments platform, DR are dreadful and their platform is rubbish. They have no obligation to implement any measures to prevent scalping, it would be foolish to think otherwise. However, it would be a well received gesture of good will if they did.

I get there are worldwide shortages with regards raw materials, wafer manufacturing and companies are facing severe challenges due to Covid but there has to be a better way for companies to do this - waiting lists, block Bots, implement quota's.
    The digital river page you refer to is only accessible by using a script as i said which in turn prints a printout..its on the backend of the site which is not accessible to the public

The digital river page you refer to is only accessible by using a script as i said which in turn prints a printout..its on the backend of the site which is not accessible to the public

I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this but its not accessed through a script, its an externally facing URL which can be manipulated to show if stock is available or not. It obviously shouldn't be externally facing and, from what little I know about web application pen testing, its very shoddy from Digital River i.e. easy to manipulate.

It should be blocked in some way but accessing it has nothing to do with a script.

Regardless, it doesnt allow anyone to buy anything, it just allows people to determine if there will be a drop or not. And even if the category changes, there is no guarantee of a drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Anyone want to share how to do this stock check? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arknot

I just got my AMD GPU from 16th.
    It's true, ignore the tracker from DHL, mine it's still showing 26th departure... I don't even know who delivered it, since they were gone before I got to the parcel...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Just got my shipping notice from AMD :D

I just got my AMD GPU from 16th.
    It's true, ignore the tracker from DHL, mine it's still showing 26th departure... I don't even know who delivered it, since they were gone before I got to the parcel...

Probably Fastway, got a text from them this morning and it was delivered about an hour ago (in a car rather than a van which was kinda weird).

Exterior shipping box was quite badly beat up, lot of compression because it was really oversized for the GPU box without any packing material/protection to stop it sliding around inside. Tear on the underside too that looked like someone had tried to have a gander.

GPU box itself looks fine thankfully along with the GPU itself but I won't be able to test until I get the rest of my new build so fingers crossed all is OK with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It should be fine. It's well packed in the box and feels very sturdy.

Heavy fecker as well although it's smaller than my old 1070!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It should be fine. It's well packed in the box and feels very sturdy.

Heavy fecker as well although it's smaller than my old 1070!

Yeah the weight of it caught me off-guard as I was taking it out and there's a good bit of foam inside. I'm just that weird type who likes to keep the boxes to look at. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deli27

DHL Tracking is worthless, left the international center on the 29th no updates since.
    This morning my card is out for delivery with An Post, should be here shortly

deli27 wrote: »
    DHL Tracking is worthless, left the international center on the 29th no updates since.
    This morning my card is out for delivery with An Post, should be here shortly

Anpost ? I think that's the first time I've heard of AMD cards getting delivered via anpost. It'll be a welcome change over fast ways delivery , well at least for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deli27

Anpost ? I think that's the first time I've heard of AMD cards getting delivered via anpost. It'll be a welcome change over fast ways delivery , well at least for me.

Card has arrived with An Post just now, Glad it wasn't Fastway as they are the stuff from nightmares. FWIW DHL claims that An Post is an official partner for the deliveries in Ireland for their parcel service

• Advertisement

Excellent, well done on getting your card. Mine is on its way, hopefully they'll use Anpost for my delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

What are the actual odds on getting a card on one of these drops at this stage? Is it still Thursday at 4.30 ish?

I'm almost considering just going for the 6900XT just because I imagine it's slightly less impossible to get....in reality something like a 6700XT would be perfect for me. (1080P high refresh)

Homelander wrote: »
    What are the actual odds on getting a card on one of these drops at this stage? Is it still Thursday at 4.30 ish?

I'm almost considering just going for the 6900XT just because I imagine it's slightly less impossible to get....in reality something like a 6700XT would be perfect for me. (1080P high refresh)

Its a complete lottery.

Apparently some dude on a german site developed his own scraper which discovered availabilty last week 2 mins before the PartAlert alert sounded giving them ample time to process without huge load being placed on DR payments platform.

I've been at this for months at this stage, last week I primed and ready to go but got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Based on my limited experience it's thursday, never before 4:30.

Grayson wrote: »
    Based on my limited experience it's thursday, never before 4:30.

They've been mixing it up of late...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Anyone on the PartsAlert Discord can share with us what GPU are expected to drop today? Feel free to share :D

Not been on it much since I got my card and I've closed my twitter account for alerts, I'm reverting to my state of non-social media happy ignorance. I've also been busy with work since the announcement of the lifting of restrictions I got the card just in time !!! I'm on lunch and I just checked there and nothing has been mentioned from what I can see, but it'll be too early if the 4:30'ish drop is to happen for any change to be seen. If you look at the list above it does show that last week was the first week where particular GPU products (RX6800XT's) weren't in stock for a drop, every other week there was some stock dropped of each GPU type on the product page.

I'll update if I'm back on discord and see anything, I hope some of you guys get one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Make sure you have a decent 750W+ PSU if you're going for the 6900XT and good airflow in your case. It's very power hungry and can get quite hot with an uncapped framerate.

Downloaded the Resident Evil Village demo to check out RT yesterday. I've only played the village part, but it's not really a game changer. Certain things look better alright, but it's subtle. But it runs with a 60fps lock on the 6900XT maxed out at 4k so I'd probably leave it on.

Interested to try the RT remaster of Metro exodus when it lands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ah, that was just me ranting and raving as usual. I have a 1080P monitor so a 6900XT would be a titanic waste, and as you mentioned I would actually need a new PSU as well. Even though it's 240hz I would hit a CPU cap with the GPU sitting largely idle mostly.

I will try and get a 6700XT or RX6800/XT but in the meantime a sickly GTX770 will get me by. ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Ah, that was just me ranting and raving as usual. I have a 1080P monitor so a 6900XT would be a titanic waste, and as you mentioned I would actually need a new PSU as well. Even though it's 240hz I would hit a CPU cap with the GPU sitting largely idle mostly.

I will try and get a 6700XT or RX6800/XT but in the meantime a sickly GTX770 will get me by. ;_;

Ah yeah a 6700XT would be perfect so, I hope you get one.

Advertisement