Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

What do you currently have ?

A Corsair 600watt - have now checked out recommended :D I'll probably order something like this

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07S3X7QV7?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Any point going higher than 850 watt? Should I just go 1000 watt?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A Corsair 600watt - have now checked out recommended :D I'll probably order something like this

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07S3X7QV7?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Any point going higher than 850 watt? Should I just go 1000 watt?

850W is fine as long as it's a good Gold+ rated.
    1000W+ is recommended for dual-GPU or 16+ CPU cores.

RX 6900XT averages around 388W but can spike to 618W: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula/34.html
    So that's what was overloading your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 littlebigman

Overclockers have some stock of AMD only let me order the Gigabyte 6800xt but took off the Uk VAT automatically, I know I have to pay Irish Tax and duty on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Overclockers have some stock of AMD only let me order the Gigabyte 6800xt but took off the Uk VAT automatically, I know I have to pay Irish Tax and duty on delivery.

Should be no duty just VAT just fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Jeez, did you pay those crazy prices though? Ones in stock are £1,100 to start....!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

How did you manage to get them to send it to you? It states "your chosen delivery method is unavailable" for me, I can't change a delivery method! Tried all 3 methods of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

Homelander wrote: »
    Jeez, did you pay those crazy prices though? Ones in stock are £1,100 to start....!!
    It workout €1413.85 euro dam some money they have good few 10+ of other 6800xt models guess it better than paying ebay prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 littlebigman

On Overclockers site when checking out some cards give no option for delivery, the only model of 6800Xt that did was the Gigabyte,
    Prices are crazy but hoping to get a few hundred for my Nitro 480 8Gb making the trade up look better. Had 6900xt in AMD basket last week but messed up the paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I phoned DHL at 10:20 this morning to see if they had an update on my RX6700XT ordered on the 29th of April and was told it's delayed in Germany. Then 25 minutes later a White van driver delivered it to my door:D

Packaging seems to be much better and more secure than others received. I wonder will the tracking ever show its as delivered :pac:

EDIT - Boards is now allowing images to be uploaded, I've attached an image of the packaging it arrived in, it seems better than what I've seen before hand
    552682.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

It would be terrible if they sent you a replacement for the one they "lost" in Germany ...

• Advertisement

MugsGame wrote: »
    It would be terrible if they sent you a replacement for the one they "lost" in Germany ...

That idea popped into my head ;) ....but It'll be tracked on some system somewhere I'd imagine. The serial numbers of each card and who purchased them are recorded too. Probably a very slim chance of this happening but you'd never know if a "missing" card could get blacklisted in some manner via a future driver or bios update. Worse and probably more likely future orders to certain addresses could be blacklisted too, with no Nvidia founders editions directly available to Ireland I wouldn't want to lose the AMD option.

Besides I'm waiting on my order from 6th of May to ship .... I've enough cards :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    850W is fine as long as it's a good Gold+ rated.
    1000W+ is recommended for dual-GPU or 16+ CPU cores.

RX 6900XT averages around 388W but can spike to 618W: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula/34.html
    So that's what was overloading your system.

Just started to encounter these issues myself with my 760w PSU and my 6900xt, I've ordered a 1000w to be safe given I've a 5900x aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I just got an email to say my order on the 6th of May has shipped. That wasn't so long. Hopefully it gets to Ireland quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

A Friend of mine who has been waiting since the 21st april for his 6700xt was told this morning that digital river has marked his card as "returned"

Digital river said that they have issued a refund..he contacted AMD and they said there is nothing they could do.

AMD contacted him back to say to contact them if he manages to get another card so they can make sure a duplicate order is not recorded and the new card cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    A Friend of mine who has been waiting since the 21st april for his 6700xt was told this morning that digital river has marked his card as "returned"

Digital river said that they have issued a refund..he contacted AMD and they said there is nothing they could do.

AMD contacted him back to say to contact them if he manages to get another card so they can make sure a duplicate order is not recorded and the new card cancelled.

Good luck with getting another 6700xt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

That idea popped into my head ;) ....but It'll be tracked on some system somewhere I'd imagine. The serial numbers of each card and who purchased them are recorded too. Probably a very slim chance of this happening but you'd never know if a "missing" card could get blacklisted in some manner via a future driver or bios update. Worse and probably more likely future orders to certain addresses could be blacklisted too, with no Nvidia founders editions directly available to Ireland I wouldn't want to lose the AMD option.

Besides I'm waiting on my order from 6th of May to ship .... I've enough cards :pac::pac:

They are tracked, but still it's rather surprising that a company such as DHL have this kind of logistical issues in 2021 - you'd imagine the system would be relatively failsafe in terms of "package scanned -> system entry", but somehow doesn't work like that. Had a similar "delivery showing up at the door while tracking said it was stuck 1500km from me" more than once; Actually at some point I had a delivery that showed as still being in Milan for a week after I got it :D:p

They won't cancel second order, it's seen as a separate transaction from the first. The cancelation issues happen when two of the same product sku are ordered in one transaction. I believe up until recently you could order two of the same card in one transaction but that's been changed but it's still possible to order more than one graphic card but they have to be different product sku.

On my order I've noticed my delivery address was truncated to what was provided via paypal. The "town" was visible, the county (in my case Dublin) was missing, but my eircode was visible. I'd imagine if this was replicated for some other people who didn't have Eircode's in their addresses it would present problems, for example how many Newcastles are there in different county's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

.G. wrote: »
    Just started to encounter these issues myself with my 760w PSU and my 6900xt, I've ordered a 1000w to be safe given I've a 5900x aswell.

What kind of issues? How did you know it's PSU?

I'm about to start a build around a 6900XT and I've got an 800w PSU on it.

the 6900xt can have spikes in voltages which will trip the PSU safety limit and shut down your computer..its why its recommended to use a 850w gold psu..the high end nvidia cards like the 3080 and 3090 can also suffer from the voltage spikes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

thos wrote: »
    What kind of issues? How did you know it's PSU?

I'm about to start a build around a 6900XT and I've got an 800w PSU on it.
    the 6900xt can have spikes in voltages which will trip the PSU safety limit and shut down your computer..its why its recommended to use a 850w gold psu..the high end nvidia cards like the 3080 and 3090 can also suffer from the voltage spikes

What he said.

Its recently started shutting down my PC in high demand scenarios. I did a online PSU calculator thing which give you an idea and it came out at 890w so I went with a 1000w to be certain. My current PSU is 760 platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Its recently started shutting down my PC in high demand scenarios.

Exactly this. Your PC will simply shut off if it gets a voltage spike, like tripping your house electricity. It can do this pretty easily using an uncapped framerate in a power hungry game.

If using vsync at 60hz it's less likely to happen but still can playing poorly optimised games e.g. Black Mesa (it seems to be a black hole for power consumption).

I have a 650W PSU still waiting on an exact delivery date on the Corsair RMx 850w

Any feedback on the PSU requirement for a RX 6800 or a RX 6800 XT ? I assume a RX 6800 would be fine with a 600w PSU with a 65 watt CPU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

What he said.

Its recently started shutting down my PC in high demand scenarios. I did a online PSU calculator thing which give you an idea and it came out at 890w so I went with a 1000w to be certain. My current PSU is 760 platinum.

what mobo do you have? had the same issue and fixed it, but it was mobo related and not GPU temp spikes which i initially thought it was

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thinking of getting a 6800 on the AMD website. Price is showing as €585 which isn't bad. Is that the total price or are there other fees like shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Thinking of getting a 6800 on the AMD website. Price is showing as €585 which isn't bad. Is that the total price or are there other fees like shipping?

About 20 quid on top for shipping.

Get ready for months of disappointment as you'll be joining a huge group of people trying every week to get one of a handful of cards.

Took me 6 months to get mine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Keyzer wrote: »
    About 20 quid on top for shipping.

Get ready for months of disappointment as you'll be joining a huge group of people trying every week to get one of a handful of cards.

Took me 6 months to get mine.

Wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Fecks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You might get lucky though, you've as good a chance as someone trying since launch

The 6800 direct from amd works out at around 620 with shipping and vat..slight changes on that price every drop as they calculate dollar to euro exchange rates daily

I got nothing for weeks the got something on the last 2 drops. Worth giving it a try, read over the last few pages. If you've a card to sell this help towards the cost too, second hand card have never sold for more.

I actually sold my old GTX 1080 TI to a miner today, it paid for the RX6700XT and I'd a chunk of change leftover :cool:

• Advertisement

I got nothing for weeks the got something on the last 2 drops. Worth giving it a try, read over the last few pages. If you've a card to sell this help towards the cost too, second hand card have never sold for more.

I actually sold my old GTX 1080 TI to a miner today, it paid for the RX6700XT and I'd a chunk of change leftover :cool:

I'd be selling my current PC and building a new one. So, that will offset a chunk of the cost of the new PC.

Advertisement