Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

what mobo do you have? had the same issue and fixed it, but it was mobo related and not GPU temp spikes which i initially thought it was

It's an x570 Aorus Master. I reckon I'm OK on that score. It's not temp spikes anyway, it's sudden voltage spikes causing a quick shutdown. It's so fast none of my monitoring software can catch it and tell me exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd be selling my current PC and building a new one. So, that will offset a chunk of the cost of the new PC.

If its not required, I would rethink that and wait a while. Possibly even a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Aye I'd hold off for rnda3 hopefully better supply then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think if you're patient on the card front and can nab something to keep you going it's not so bad. It cost me €1,200 in total recently to build a 5600X/16GB/A520M/1TB XPG8200 1TB, with a Vega 64. Overpaid for the Vega but it has warranty from CEX so I'm happy enough versus paying the same on Adverts.

All I have to do now is try every Thursday with the rest to get an RX card. Hopefully if/when that happens the Vega 64 will get back what I paid for it - in fact on Ebay right now it's selling regularly for 50% more than I paid for it. Much as I dislike Ebay, the option's there.

CEX is worth keeping an eye on. Some of their prices reflect the current shortages, but a lot of GPU's are still at the levels they were pre-Covid.....which makes them either a good deal or completely normal right now, plus they offer a 2 year warranty.

EG all the common RX cards (RX470,80,570,80,90) are all in the €160-230 range. So you can get lucky if one or two appear. Two days ago they had Titan V's and RTX2080Ti's for sale considerably below current market rates. Considering they come with a full 2 year warranty, it's really decent.

Obviously the more people buy and sell into CEX (and honestly you have to wonder why the hell would someone trade a Titan V into CEX for €500 when they sell for €2k on Ebay) the prices will rise, but for now you can get some decent deals if you keep an eye.

I wouldn't ever pay big money for a 2nd hand card on Adverts knowing if it goes tits up in four weeks I'm left with nothing. It's amazing as well the amount of sellers who claim their card has "full warranty" and when people ask it's usually "it's manufacturer warranty".

Meaning basically it has zero warranty because almost all manufacturers will tell you to go through the retailer you purchased from. The only one I can think of that you could avail of warranty without being the original buyer is EVGA, dunno if that's changed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If its not required, I would rethink that and wait a while. Possibly even a year.

It's a 4670K and 1060 3GB. It is actually still holding up alright even at 1440p so I could probably hold out a year but if I can get a 6800 at RRP I think I will make the jump. All in with a Ryzen 3600 and reusing my current SSD, I reckon it will cost me about €1200. I don't think that is too bad. Yeah I could wait a year and probably get a Ryzen 5000 series build for the same money but who knows what will happen with GPUs. They could be even harder to get by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

For anyone looking for an AMD card, check out a german forum called hardwarelux (or something like that) - theres a guy called zquarefish who seems to be able to see AMD drops 2-3 mins before the Part Alerts.

Might help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

.G. wrote: »
    It's an x570 Aorus Master. I reckon I'm OK on that score. It's not temp spikes anyway, it's sudden voltage spikes causing a quick shutdown. It's so fast none of my monitoring software can catch it and tell me exactly what happened.

Reason i asked is that i had the same issue. see below for how i fixed it. took me ages to figure out why, and it was voltage spikes which the mobo wasn't ready for. it seemed to be purely ASUS mobos impacted though, but you never know.
    So it turns out my issue wasn't power spikes or GPU related after all. This was driving me crazy to be honest, and most of the info online seemed to point to power spikes, i even bought a new 850W PSU thinking this might solve the issue, which it didn't.

I kept digging and found one guy who was looking in another direction, mainly the motherboard.

Anyway, gist of the story is, is that ASUS (apparently not the only manufacturer affected, but the only one that interested me) did not test the mobos for the new ryzen 5000 series other than just seeing if it booted (which it does fine). These CPUs can draw a lot more power than the 3000 series, and this seemed to trigger the "fuse" on the mobo so to speak, which is just set too low for these new CPUs, and therefore this would cut the system off.
    The fix was to set a higher EDC current limit so that the mobo wouldn't cut off.

I then checked if there was a BIOS update for these motherboards, which there was 10 days ago, hoping this issue had been addressed as all the info i'd found seemed to be a couple months old, so i flashed the motherboard, and lo and behold, system seems stable again and no crashes yet.

Hopefully i haven't spoken too soon again!

6900XT arrived this morning - great turnaround, less than a week.

My god its a beast....

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Keyzer wrote: »
    6900XT arrived this morning - great turnaround, less than a week.

My god its a beast....

So are you going again today , you might need a spare ;)

So are you going again today , you might need a spare ;)

Part of me says why not, bag another 6900XT and sell it for twice the price to cover the cost of my GPU. Having said that, some of the ads on adverts.ie are not selling.

But that doesn't sit well with me knowing the frustration people are going through to get a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

My 6900 XT arrived this morning. I haven't even opened the box yet. But it's from Digital River Ireland :D

Just refreshed Amazon.de tracking page and I see my new PSU is "out for delivery". It's like the stars have aligned for me today :pac:

Just refreshed Amazon.de tracking page and I see my new PSU is "out for delivery". It's like the stars have aligned for me today :pac:

and the PSU was just delivered. What timing :D

It's a 4670K and 1060 3GB. It is actually still holding up alright even at 1440p so I could probably hold out a year but if I can get a 6800 at RRP I think I will make the jump. All in with a Ryzen 3600 and reusing my current SSD, I reckon it will cost me about €1200. I don't think that is too bad. Yeah I could wait a year and probably get a Ryzen 5000 series build for the same money but who knows what will happen with GPUs. They could be even harder to get by then.

The Ryzen5 3600 and RX6800 will be a get combo price/performance wise. See the details of my Ryzen5 3600 RX6700 in the post here

The RX 6800 will add a chunk of extra performance on top of that. If going for a new mobo that can support a M.2 drive IMHO it's worth getting one for the extra 100 euro.
    Part of me says why not, bag another 6900XT and sell it for twice the price to cover the cost of my GPU. Having said that, some of the ads on adverts.ie are not selling.

But that doesn't sit well with me knowing the frustration people are going through to get a card.

If you go again and get another card more luck to you, do with it as you please. You put a lot of effort into trying to grab a card and still took the time to give a lot of people on here including myself some very valuable information.

I was going to use the RX6700XT from the 29th of April in my main rig and reuse the my 1080TI in the new build (linked above) After some thought decided to go for a RX6700XT or a RX6800 for the main rig and sell the 1080TI, I honestly didn't expect to this to happen last week
    552873.jpg

Yesterday sold my GTX 1080 TI in less than a minute on adverts, it paid for the RX6700XT and took a chunk of change from the cost of the RX6800

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Other components in the chain are pretty OK for supply. You might not get a 5600x but you'd probably get a 5800x. Wait to see if you can get a gpu, then if you do, I'd reassess. But I wouldn't get a new build now then go looking for a new gpu.

and the PSU was just delivered. What timing :D

tenor.gif?itemid=11180784

If you go again and get another card more luck to you, do with it as you please. You put a lot of effort into trying to grab a card and still took the time to give a lot of people on here including myself some very valuable information.

Thanks for those kind words, appreciated. Glad to help anyone who is trying in vain to get a GPU.

I went for the 5800X combined with the 6900XT - a formidable pairing.

Thanks for those kind words, appreciated. Glad to help anyone who is trying in vain to get a GPU.

I went for the 5800X combined with the 6900XT - a formidable pairing.

That'll last a few years unless something epic happens. That's one hell of a rig.

Installed the new RX6800. Stock setting - Timespy comparisons 1080TI VS RX6800

552878.jpg

552879.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Other components in the chain are pretty OK for supply. You might not get a 5600x but you'd probably get a 5800x. Wait to see if you can get a gpu, then if you do, I'd reassess. But I wouldn't get a new build now then go looking for a new gpu.

Yeah, that is my plan. Try and get the GPU first. If that works out then get the rest. I'm not actually looking at getting a 5600x. I'm looking at getting at 3600. Maybe a 10400/11400 depending on prices of everything when I decide to pull the trigger. Stock of them has been pretty decent lately from what I have seen.

• Advertisement

Installed the new RX6800. Stock setting - Timespy comparisons 1080TI VS RX6800

Would love to have a picture perfect case setup like that some day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah, that is my plan. Try and get the GPU first. If that works out then get the rest. I'm not actually looking at getting a 5600x. I'm looking at getting at 3600. Maybe a 10400/11400 depending on prices of everything when I decide to pull the trigger. Stock of them has been pretty decent lately from what I have seen.

Techspot did a great comparison of the 10400/5600x/3600 https://www.techspot.com/review/2185-amd-zen-3-ryzen-5600-versus/. At 1440p and higher there's little to nothing between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What time is the drop usually? Trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 baldur1

What time is the drop usually? Trying again.

How many times have you tried? I'm gonna try for the first time. Sit on the website and hit f5?

baldur1 wrote: »
    How many times have you tried? I'm gonna try for the first time. Sit on the website and hit f5?

Just once last week, I wasnt quick enough through the checkout. That was 16:36. Have Paypal set up and ready to go is the best chance I think.

Giving tech companies my money never used to be this hard.

Stuff just moved around, wonder if that's an indication of whats going to be in stock.

Was wondering the same. I dont need a 6900 but I'd take it!

baldur1 wrote: »

Read back over my previous posts.

If you want a card from AMD then you need to do some leg work. The strategy has been outlined already by many people in this thread.

And CAT15/16 is dead - redirects back to AMD site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

They went quick today

Advertisement